car numbers for DE - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices

car numbers for DE

Old 03-08-2017, 04:13 PM
spo235
New User

Default car numbers for DE

Hello all!

I'm new to the DE events, and have one coming up in April. I have a Boxster, and was thinking about getting some magnetic numbers. A few questions for the more seasoned veterans:
1. Are magnetic numbers a good idea? I have read about them coming off
2. Any recommendations on where to get magnetic numbers or vinyl if I go that route?

Thanks in advance for any help, and I apologize if this is posted in the wrong forum.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:19 PM
tstafford
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you want something easy to remove and is reusable, I prefer window cling. Check these guys out:

https://www.trackdecals.com/
Old 03-16-2017, 07:03 PM
David993S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Magnetic numbers can scratch your paint, and potentially come off. Here's what I do: I bought two magnetic numbers to use as a template. Place them on some contact paper in your color choice, trace the number on the contact paper, cut it out, apply to your car. Easy to remove after the weekend. Easy to make new ones for the next DE. Looks professional and inexpensive to boot.

Cheers.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:07 PM
sicklyscott
User

I purchased a set of reusable meatballs. Ended up not being reusable. Lots of money in that mistake.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:13 PM
raspritz
User

I used magnetic numbers for years with no problems before I started racing. They do not scratch paint. Get a 'permanent' number assigned by your PCA region, and have that number made as a meatball (one for each door). Put a 2" piece of painter's tape at leading edge to ensure wind doesn't get underneath and cause it to peel off during a session (but I never had that happen).
Old 03-06-2018, 09:14 PM
zoiks
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've used magnetic numbers for 14 years with no problems. I always wipe the car off first, then wipe the back of the numbers off and stick them on the car. If you wipe both surfaces off prior to applying, it should minimize the potential for scratching. Now, after you do this you have to put a strip of blue painters tape on the leading edge of the numbers. This prevents the air from getting under the numbers and they stay on fine. When I first started HPDE all clubs pretty much required real numbers. Now I see lots of clubs accepting folks using blue painter tape for their car numbers. I went to a local company that made signs and they also made magnetic numbers and I got them made there. Make sure your doors are magnetic!
Old 03-08-2018, 11:11 AM
Nickshu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zoiks View Post
I've used magnetic numbers for 14 years with no problems. I always wipe the car off first, then wipe the back of the numbers off and stick them on the car. If you wipe both surfaces off prior to applying, it should minimize the potential for scratching. Now, after you do this you have to put a strip of blue painters tape on the leading edge of the numbers. This prevents the air from getting under the numbers and they stay on fine. When I first started HPDE all clubs pretty much required real numbers. Now I see lots of clubs accepting folks using blue painter tape for their car numbers. I went to a local company that made signs and they also made magnetic numbers and I got them made there. Make sure your doors are magnetic!
This. Track activity will not improve the paint on your car...anywhere. The surface under a magnetic number is the least of your worries on the track if you are concerned about keeping perfect paint.

A good quote I have heard from a DE instructor..."Nothing you do today will increase the value of your car." LOL.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:31 PM
mig7410
Addict
Rennlist Member

You can have most any sign shop make you vinyl decals made super cheep. I just get a combination of a bunch of 5's and 1's.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:30 PM
TonyVan
User

edecals is fast and inexpensive. Been using their magnetic ones for years without scratches or flying off.
https://www.edecals.com

Tony
Old 06-13-2018, 08:09 AM
AdamIsAdam
User

Originally Posted by tstafford View Post
If you want something easy to remove and is reusable, I prefer window cling. Check these guys out:

https://www.trackdecals.com/
Can we put the numbers on the rear side window or must it be on the door for DE @ Lime Rock?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: car numbers for DE

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: