Tips for first DE, at COTA - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices

Tips for first DE, at COTA

Old 12-26-2015, 06:57 PM
tgiertz
User

Default Tips for first DE, at COTA

Doing a DE with Edge Addicts at Cota in Feb. My first. Looking for your tips.

tom
Old 01-06-2016, 05:42 PM
zweebach
User

First DE?

Or first DE at COTA?
Old 01-06-2016, 05:49 PM
tgiertz
User

My first at COTA, although my first DE's will be the preceding two weekends with an event with NASA at MSR and an event with PCA at TWS.

I have multiple Auto-X's behind with one in this 911.

tom
Old 01-06-2016, 06:25 PM
zweebach
User

Originally Posted by tgiertz View Post
My first at COTA, although my first DE's will be the preceding two weekends with an event with NASA at MSR and an event with PCA at TWS.

I have multiple Auto-X's behind with one in this 911.

tom
I hope you enjoy the DE's coming from an autocross background. I feel like DE allows you to link together many skills from autocross with the benefit being a longer time in the car given the 20-30 minute sessions.

As with any DE, if you have someone in the right seat, listen to them. Starting out, I wouldn't say that your learning curve at COTA is especially different from MSR or TWS. Be patient, it will take some time to get your rhythm at any new track. Add speed judiciously.

Some put COTA on a pedestal. Is it warranted? Maybe. It's a terrific facility and it is priced accordingly. Everything costs more there. There are a lot of turns and some are tricky. There is generally good paved run-off which makes recovery manageable. On your first time out, be aware of the paved run-off areas and the less forgiving areas. Turn 3 seems to have been where people first had trouble - it can have triple-digit entry speeds with a nearby barrier on the left if you run out of room.

You're astute enough to seek out advice, so I expect you'll be fine. Just remember that nobody wins anything at DE's, don't drive beyond your abilities, and have fun.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:05 PM
jaundice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Only problem is you will NEVER go back to AutoX once you do a DE day. 5 minutes of driving with 3 hrs of standing and watching cones vs 2.5 hrs of driving and hanging out with your buddies the rest of the time.
Old 06-19-2016, 01:48 PM
recca
New User

Originally Posted by jaundice View Post
Only problem is you will NEVER go back to AutoX once you do a DE day. 5 minutes of driving with 3 hrs of standing and watching cones vs 2.5 hrs of driving and hanging out with your buddies the rest of the time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tips for first DE, at COTA

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: