Notices

RV/car hauler?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 07:43 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy crap. For 1.5 million I could buy a house on the beach! And a Carrera GT to go in the garage!
Old 08-26-2008, 09:08 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonster
Holy crap. For 1.5 million I could buy a house on the beach! And a Carrera GT to go in the garage!
LOL. It must be nice to live where any habitable house is that inexpensive!
Old 08-26-2008, 09:53 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Here's one that leaves enough in the budget for a 993.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/rvs/789413135.html

One thing to keep in mind for any RV/hauler is the floor will be much higher than a trailer, so you either need a really long ramp or some sort of liftgate. The liftgate will be around $10k alone, so there won't be many choices out there.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:27 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Kurt R
Here's one that leaves enough in the budget for a 993.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/rvs/789413135.html

One thing to keep in mind for any RV/hauler is the floor will be much higher than a trailer, so you either need a really long ramp or some sort of liftgate. The liftgate will be around $10k alone, so there won't be many choices out there.
"If that ain't Country
You can kiss my ***"!
Old 08-27-2008, 11:27 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Bull
LOL. It must be nice to live where any habitable house is that inexpensive!
***Yup, it sure is. I was paying $870 a month for a one bedroom apartment out in California. Out here you can get a mortgage on a 3BR/2BA with a pool and a nice garage for that. It's amazing. My property tax claims my house is only worth $150k -- in Cal that would be worth more like $400k. I guess you have to put up with crappy weather to get a deal on a house these days.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:36 PM
F350Lawman
Racer

You can also search under "Fun Mover" as I found that name popular when I was RV shopping a few years ago. If you Google it you'll come up with a ton of hits.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:05 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Looking through the latest issue of Vintage Motorsport, I came across the ad for www.racingcrewquarters.com. Their "The Legend" model looked interesting for the purpose discussed here.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:16 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks, lawman . . . that turned up a bunch of great ads. We were looking to buy used anyway. And thanks, Bob . . . those are great but it would mean buying a beefier truck -- something we're kind of trying to avoid as that would be its sole purpose. We already have a mid-size truck to haul smaller things with at a decent MPG rate. We may yet go the truck upgrade with a trailer, but for now we're looking into the RV/hauler all-in-one jobber. Thanks very much for the reference, though.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:50 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks, lawman . . . that turned up a bunch of great ads. We were looking to buy used anyway. And thanks, Bob . . . those are great but it would mean buying a beefier truck -- something we're kind of trying to avoid as that would be its sole purpose. We already have a mid-size truck to haul smaller things with at a decent MPG rate. We may yet go the truck upgrade with a trailer, but for now we're looking into the RV/hauler all-in-one jobber. Thanks very much for the reference, though.
OK, but I would think about getting the correct truck and a combo car hauler/living quarters trailer for the relatively few times you need it rather than having two vehicles (truck and RV) with one always sitting while you used the other (trailers are relatively cheap).
Old 08-30-2008, 09:13 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

John drives his truck to work every day and I have a daily driver that I use to do errands, etc.. A full-sized or extra duty type of truck would be terrible on gas. His drive to the base involves quite a bit of traffic most days. He has said that even if we go the larger truck and trailer route, he'd still want to use the smaller truck for commuting. I'd let him use my daily driver, but that car is a Miata and he's 6-2.

I LOVE the trailer you referred me to, though! But aren't you suppoed to disconnect the trailer from the hitch when you aren't using it? I always did that when I had the combo back in California. Dunno if I really needed to, but did just in case. If we did that, we'd still have a storage problem. We'd need to find yet more room in our driveway for the truck, and put the trailer out back tied-down to cement or something in case of hurricanes, etc. With the RV idea, I can just leave the racecar in there, park it out back, and have room for both my daily driver and his truck inside the garage. AND if a hurricane did come (which it will), we can just get in the RV and take off. We could also use the RV when we want to travel -- we'd just swap out the daily driver car for the racecar.

Ahh . . . it's a toss-up either way, pretty much. That's why I came to you guys for advice. Whichever way we go, it's going to be an investment, and we're trying to make the right choices. You've all been great at helping me in this process and I truly appreciate it. THANKS.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:32 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

John drives his truck to work every day and I have a daily driver that I use to do errands, etc.. A full-sized or extra duty type of truck would be terrible on gas. His drive to the base involves quite a bit of traffic most days. He has said that even if we go the larger truck and trailer route, he'd still want to use the smaller truck for commuting. I'd let him use my daily driver, but that car is a Miata and he's 6-2.

I LOVE the trailer you referred me to, though! But aren't you suppoed to disconnect the trailer from the hitch when you aren't using it? I always did that when I had the combo back in California. Dunno if I really needed to, but did just in case. If we did that, we'd still have a storage problem. We'd need to find yet more room in our driveway for the truck, and put the trailer out back tied-down to cement or something in case of hurricanes, etc. With the RV idea, I can just leave the race car in there, park it out back, and have room for both my daily driver and his truck inside the garage. AND if a hurricane did come (which it will), we can just get in the RV and take off. We could also use the RV when we want to travel -- we'd just swap out the daily driver car for the racecar.

Ahh . . . it's a toss-up either way, pretty much. That's why I came to you guys for advice. Whichever way we go, it's going to be an investment, and we're trying to make the right choices. You've all been great at helping me in this process and I truly appreciate it. THANKS.
All good considerations. But, don't forget that with an RV you will have three vehicles to insure, service and watch depreciate, instead of two doing those things plus an easy to insure, service and minimal depreciation trailer. When a hurricane comes, you hook up and go. And the race car stays in the trailer or RV in either case.

anyway, good luck with whatever you choose.

Quick Reply: RV/car hauler?