Notices

Isn't Bonster moving to Fla? What's she doing fooling around in Montana?

Old 06-29-2008, 10:49 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Corded on the inside I bet. You really need to inspect each tire at the end of each day by either jacking the car up and looking at each or even better, remove each wheel and inspect. While you are at it, switch the tires to the opposite side.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:58 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Corded on the inside I bet. You really need to inspect each tire at the end of each day by either jacking the car up and looking at each or even better, remove each wheel and inspect. While you are at it, switch the tires to the opposite side.
Actually corded on the outside. It's a street car with insufficient camber for the track. That issue should be taken care of by the fall. Definitely a lesson though in paying closer attention to equipment.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:56 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Actually corded on the outside. It's a street car with insufficient camber for the track. That issue should be taken care of by the fall. Definitely a lesson though in paying closer attention to equipment.
You should definitelly ask Art why he didn't catch that at the tech inspection.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:37 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by deep_uv
I can't. He's out watching whales or something.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:09 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by deep_uv
I always worry about the quality of the morning techs at DE events. Ours are lead by a very thorough and knowledgeable Tech Steward, but he relies on about 8-10 volunteers who have to get 150 - 200 cars through the tech lines. I watched them this weekend (Instructors self tech) and while everyone was working hard, some hardly know a brake fluid reservoir from a windshield washer bottle. Two of the people running the torque wrenches were a veterinarian and a bank CEO. Both nice people, but lots of chatting and coffee drinking. I worry about those who I hear say "I'll see if tech says anything.....".
Old 06-30-2008, 09:22 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,395 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Partly my fault. Had I been on the ball instead of back in the hotel wondering if I was going to get sick again, I would have had you join me in inspecting the car after the 4th session.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:18 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
My son moved from Las Vegas to Chicago last January.

We drove a U-Haul truck. At 8pm he started driving. I took over at 6am in Tucumcari. We stopped in Iowa City at my daughter's that evening.

Bon, you gotta pick up the pace. Or are you stopping for other reasons?
***Mostly it's because I have a cat along with me in the tow vehicle / moving truck. He's been a real trooper . . . he just sleeps pretty much the whole time. Not once did he use the litter box or even drink water or eat while on the road. Don't know how good that is for him, but once we get to the various motels, he's finally getting used to exploring new places.

The other reason is that I do not see well at all at night. New Mexico and at least west Texas were VERY gusty . . . not something I really wanna do at night with a 16' moving truck with steel (tare weight 1996 pounds!) trailer and racecar (less than the trailer weight!) in-tow. We have been averaging 420 miles per day at about seven hours per drive time segment (I am driving the tow vehicle, John my street car). Not too bad.

We were in Tucumcari last night, tonight we are nearly all the way across Texas in Decatur. Tomorrow we'll be stopping in Monroe, Loiusiana, and on Wednesday we finally get to Navarre, Florida. I must say, 287-S is SO MUCH NICER than any other roads we've taken so far! Nice and flat, not as gusty (though those long sweepers to the left sure can be scary if you hit a gust of cross-wind on that trailer), and the weather has been wonderful by comparison. We did stop right off at a rest stop in Iowa City, by the way. Pretty place!

Anyway . . . we're on the backstretch now. Only about 750 to go! I can't believe I just said, "only." Dang, I'm gonna need a masseuse when I get to my new home.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:22 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Bull
I was wondering the same thing...you driving half days????
***Look hear, butthead . . what part of a 16' moving truck loaded-down with furniture, etc., towing behind it a Miata racecar on a steel trailer did you not understand??? Lol. I'm serious . . . the slightest little incline and the crappy auto tranny shifts into third. My worst moment ever happened in AZ the other day -- two old ladies in a minivan smoked past me. If that isn't humiliation, my friends, I don't know what is!!! ROFL.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:26 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Looking over the rest of the posts, I am APPALLED that you all are talking about a track event! How dare you!!! Yeah, if you believe that, you are even most lost than I am. Glad you all had a mostly fun weekend. Now that I'm officially in the SE, I will start making plans to use the new truck and trailer I (am about to) have. I can't wait to see Texas in a more . . . how shall I say . . . relaxing event.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:44 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Bonster
** .........We have been averaging 420 miles per day at about seven hours per drive time segment (I am driving the tow vehicle, John my street car). Not too bad.

Not too bad? Like I said, half days at best! And driving at night? Why would you need to drive at night.....chasing John around the motel room all day...stopping for nooners....doing the backseat bingo now and then????

Sunrise is at 4:30 - 5:00am, depending on where you are in a time zone soldier! Sundown is 7:30 - 8:30pm. SEVEN hours of driving???? You two will end up forgetting where you are going at that rate!
Old 06-30-2008, 08:49 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

***Look hear, butthead . . what part of a 16' moving truck loaded-down with furniture, etc., towing behind it a Miata racecar on a steel trailer did you not understand??? Lol. I'm serious . . . the slightest little incline and the crappy auto tranny shifts into third. My worst moment ever happened in AZ the other day -- two old ladies in a minivan smoked past me. If that isn't humiliation, my friends, I don't know what is!!! ROFL.
Look here (hear?) Beavis, put that thing on the floor and quit your whining. If it blows up, there is always another U-Haul place along the way.

Maybe you guys would be making better time (on the trip) if you and John would have dismantled the bed when you put it in the truck!
Old 06-30-2008, 08:58 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We were in Tucumcari last night, tonight we are nearly all the way across Texas in Decatur.
You're 15 minutes from Eagles Canyon Raceway. I stay at the HI express in Decatur when I run ECR. TR6 lives about 30 minutes from there.

450 a day???? WTF????? That's a sissy pace for sure. I just drove from Austin to Destin and back straight through in 11 hours each way with two whining, complaining and unhappy females ragging on me the whole way. I perservered. If you cant' make it from Decatur to Navarre tomorrow, you ain't got a hair.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:53 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

You guys all SUCK . . . butI guess I still love ya. Grrrr.

And by the way (yes, it should have been here, and not hear, Bob), that POS was on the floor pretty much all the time. 8MPG at BEST. Pfffttt! I shall SHART in your directions! Alas, onto a Crown Royal. Don't make me say the n**ner word.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:39 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

My usual pace is 950 to 1100 in a day.

Bonnie, stick with us... in a copuple years you'll qualify for a CDL.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:09 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yes, a 16ft box truck is at the training wheels stage. Next time go with something much larger, 24ft or more. They put real motors in those.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Isn't Bonster moving to Fla? What's she doing fooling around in Montana?