Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 03:31 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have sinned...

... but I have no regrets.

The Mark 3 version of my Turtle was assembled last week and tested this weekend. Three days of bliss. I'm in a rush tonight to pack and run, but I figured if I admitted my transgressions tonight and flee the country tomorrow for a week, Mother Superior will not be able to administer any punishment.

I won. Not just my class, but the race. Ok, in HWFM fashion it was a low key race and only 13 gridded, but I won.

For the West Coast contingent, I tested the new version of the Turtle at Thunderhill. Previous best times were 1:59.9 with the bypass and 2:01 over the top. This weekend I was running 1:56 with the bypass and 1:58 over the top. I was thrilled. It's only a lowly 964 that's driven slowly on weekends but it does bring smile to my face.

There's more info about the Turtle on the 964 board (search for "Turtle Mk 3") but a few pics from this weekend...
Attached Images     
Old 03-31-2008, 07:45 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This may call for a Probationary Hearing...if we knew who would get together to meet and where the meeting would be held if they exist.

If you are going to be punished, you may as well be guilty...nicely done!
Old 03-31-2008, 11:47 AM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great Tom.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:54 AM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
This may call for a Probationary Hearing...if we knew who would get together to meet and where the meeting would be held if they exist.

If you are going to be punished, you may as well be guilty...nicely done!
Hhmmm.... Probationary Hearing ?

It's been a while since I've been to a Kangaroo Court...

is PIZZA & BEER still provided to those attending ?

A jovial jury usually Convicts !!!

Oh, almost forgot, nicely done, Tom !!!
Old 03-31-2008, 12:22 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

What's with all the buttons??? And that AIM thingy?
Old 03-31-2008, 01:43 PM
Mike Frye
Craic Head
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

That car looks like a rocketship. Especially from the inside.

Is the button all the way on the left marked 'Fire'? What does it fire?
Old 03-31-2008, 01:57 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Wow . . . 1:58 with the Eagle's Nest in turn five is VERY impressive! We still have a few advanced group openings this Friday at Thunderhill if you'd like to join us (www.team-racing.org). I'd love to catch a ride if you still have a pax seat. Sounds like total E-ticket!
Old 03-31-2008, 02:34 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bonnie: You are welcome to a ride any time. I leave for China in about 45 minutes (business, not fun) and will miss your event. My next outing is "for real" in the PRC races at Infineon in 2 weeks. My previous best there is 1:47. I'm looking to see if I can shave 2-3 seconds there too.

Dave: Tongue in cheek? The switches are my power for any electrical in the car and the starter. Labels are just quick temp labels. "Fire" is the fire supression system, as opposed to fire the rockets. There is no AIM, it's MoTeC. MoTeC is really nice. It calculates the minimum corner speed at each corner and displays it as soon as the corner is over so you can keep track of how slow you are driving in real time. It also does mundane stuff like log the engine information.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:57 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Hey Tom . . . Sears is only 70 miles from my house, so I might come out to watch for a while (please remind me) that Saturday (Sunday I have to take off for an event at Thunderhill). Do you know your race schedule yet? Is this PRC only or are you tagging along with NASA or SCCA? It would be great to meet you, if I have not already.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:27 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bonnie: Event schedule is here: http://www.nasanorcal.com/eventinfo2...3-2008v1.0.pdf

PRC races as a run group with NASA (we're group D in the schedule). You might find our races a bit "tame" compared to SCCA spec Miata races. We don't like contact (but no 13/13). We run a split start with GT cars (and any other PCA classes) and then a GTS (aka Toyo Spec) group about 30 seconds later. Usually about 40 cars in the race so lots of fun to drive.

As a female Miata driver in NorCal I assume you know Laura (and Dean) Thomas? The Miata corrupted them and took them from the light (Porsche) to the dark (but less expensive) side.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:36 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm pretty sure I know Laura . . . is she a skinny, shorter gal with long hair? If so, she is a great driver. Very consistent and polite. She and I and Margaret are about the only female SM drivers around -- and I'm taking the year off since I'm moving in the middle of the season anyway. I'll get a lot of flack going to a NASA event -- I've been absent lately. I just don't have time with so much else going on. It will be fun to see Jerry, too (Kuntzman, good friend of mine). I will for sure try and make it out.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:42 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Holy Cow....

That is a fast Turtle......congrats.....

Did anybody say "Probation"?.......
Old 03-31-2008, 05:49 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Yes, very fast turtle, considering that Thunderhill over the top of turn five is a 3-mile 15-turn track. Note that his front left tire is hovering off the ground in what could be turn two, a constant radius turn to the left. I know that track like the back of my hand and there is no way I could get a Porsche to make those lap times. Then again, I'm kinda used to going slow seeing as I race Spec Miata.

But he can't be on probation as he is not (at least at this time) a member of HWFMR member by his signature, unless he chose to leave it off, that is.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:55 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonster

But he can't be on probation as he is not (at least at this time) a member of HWFMR member by his signature, unless he chose to leave it off, that is.
So why am I on probation?

(I really don't expect anyone to give me an answer )
Old 03-31-2008, 07:27 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

I don't know, Paolo. I'm just a moderator . . . I try to keep out of that kinda stuff. Gotta be subjective, ya know. I suspect Bob (Bull) knows.

Quick Reply: I have sinned...