Notices

Forgive me fellow turtles, I screwed up....

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008 | 07:41 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deep_uv
Thanks for the tip. I'll try that. I knew it felt a bit too slow through 2 all weekend. The 2 instructors that rode with me both had me turning in right where the smooth part of the curbing meets the rough part.
Here's some Zen for you:

You can hit a 'good' arc through a turn, and hit the apex and track-out nicely, with differing turn-in points. If you turn in later, you'll have to have a more 'decisive' steering input; if you turn in earlier, your steering input will have to be more gradual.

I spent the whole weekend urging drovers to have a more decisive turn-in at T8 & T6. T2, OTOH, requires a gentle initial turn-in, followed by the addition of more & more steering input as you progress through the first 1/2 of the turn (ie, from turn in to apex).
Old 02-12-2008 | 08:12 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At turn in for T2, I was working on not braking so much, but just breathing on the brakes at turn in and then turning in gradually. But it seemed like more than half the laps, I had a car in front of me there at turn in for T2 that braked hard which forced me to. But when I was clear, it felt good.

The other thing that took some finesse for me is the rolling on of progressively more throttle through T2/T1 as you unwind onto the banking to hit the banking fast. To do it fast requires some faith in the lateral stability of your car as the g forces build through T1!
Old 02-12-2008 | 08:20 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Really? Ok, so Blue got tired of you then........

We have Green, Yellow, Blue, White, Black and Red in that order.
Yeah, but Yellow is tired of him already, & so is White.

Our groups are Green, Blue, Blue Solo, Yellow, White, Red.
Old 02-12-2008 | 08:24 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Robert Henriksen
Here's some Zen for you:

You can hit a 'good' arc through a turn, and hit the apex and track-out nicely, with differing turn-in points. If you turn in later, you'll have to have a more 'decisive' steering input; if you turn in earlier, your steering input will have to be more gradual.

I spent the whole weekend urging drovers to have a more decisive turn-in at T8 & T6. T2, OTOH, requires a gentle initial turn-in, followed by the addition of more & more steering input as you progress through the first 1/2 of the turn (ie, from turn in to apex).
Would you also throw 11 (CW direction) into the decisive turn-in category? Seem to work well for me when I made a fairly strong, power-on turn-in to 11 as well.
Old 02-12-2008 | 08:31 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
At turn in for T2, I was working on not braking so much, but just breathing on the brakes at turn in and then turning in gradually. But it seemed like more than half the laps, I had a car in front of me there at turn in for T2 that braked hard which forced me to. But when I was clear, it felt good.

The other thing that took some finesse for me is the rolling on of progressively more throttle through T2/T1 as you unwind onto the banking to hit the banking fast. To do it fast requires some faith in the lateral stability of your car as the g forces build through T1!
I came away really wishing I had another day to work on CW. It was barely starting to click a bit Sunday afternoon. It goes without saying that I'm not nearly as comfortable with CW as I am with CCW. I can't wait until the next CW DE. Coming through T1 at full throttle and hitting the oval is as much fun as I've ever had. T7 is also more fun CW, having it all laid out before you gives you alot more confidence than the leap of faith going CCW.
Old 02-12-2008 | 08:32 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe

Did you fail reading comprehension in school?
Old 02-12-2008 | 08:55 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

I read reel gud wen i chuze two.
Old 02-12-2008 | 09:52 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Would you also throw 11 (CW direction) into the decisive turn-in category? Seem to work well for me when I made a fairly strong, power-on turn-in to 11 as well.
Yes - 8 & 6 were just the main ones that leaped to mind. I'm not as inclined to encourage an enthusiastic turn-in for 11, because you come storming in so hard & on the brakes so hard, I don't want someone to loop their car. Not to say it won't be a strong entrance, but the risk factor is higher. And because the 11/10 combo is such a slow sequence, there's not as much to be gained there.

When I was racing the 1.8 backward (CW), I'd turn into 11 and then stand back on the throttle. Drive far into the carousel, stand on the brakes, and then trail off the brakes & turn down towards the curbing.
Old 02-12-2008 | 10:11 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TR6
Sure - how much you need to brake will vary depending on your approach velocity (determined by your torque/weight & exit speed from T3) compared to your cornering ability. *IF* you manage to set up an SRF just right, you can exit T3 (on the 1.8 course) and stay flat on the throttle 'till T15.

Originally Posted by TR6
That's what makes T1 backwards such a great learning opportunity to feel understeer/oversteer (if you have the cojones!). There's a huge amount of paved surface to the outside for you to recover if you start messing up. You push your speed higher & higher through there, and learn to feel & correct for understeer and/or oversteer. It's not like the car is suddenly, instantly, and without warning fling itself laterally. You get tons of communication from the car, you just have to develop the sensitivity to feel it.

Only thing that makes me nervous there is if people have too sharp an approach angle to the oval. If you lose the back end of the car at that angle, it's possible to go ALL the way up the banking & hit the concrete wall at the top. So staying a bit more to the inside (while rolling in the throttle) keeps you at a more oblique angle to the scary concrete.
Old 02-12-2008 | 10:14 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Robert Henriksen
Here's some Zen for you:

Oh - I forgot to mention, this only applies to turns like T2 CW, T7 & T12 CCW, etc.

Turns like T14 CW (and CCW) have no margin for error - you have to hit your turn-in mark precisely.
Old 02-12-2008 | 10:32 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No wonder you guys are so confused!
Old 02-13-2008 | 02:37 AM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by deep_uv
Bonni, Jerry, are you both blondes?
***You, my dear sir, will never know for sure. Bwahahahah.

Actually, I am starting to run more of a flaxen color, so maybe I should just shut the hell up.

Here is a funny for you all . . . the other night I pointed out to John that my hair is changing colors -- from dark blonde (used to be a 'toe-head') to now getting more platinum. I for a while would use that temp dye stuff to keep the silvers out, but quit about six months ago. John said, "It makes you look distinguished." Grrr. . . I reminded him that was a comment for MEN, not women.

What shall I do with him folks??? Lol.
Old 02-13-2008 | 07:50 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Bonster;5099347
What shall I do with him folks??? Lol. [/QUOTE]

Give him a spanking.
Old 02-13-2008 | 08:01 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bonster

From my experience, the standard female approach is to determine what not to do with him & for how long.
Old 02-13-2008 | 09:36 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonster

As long as he sees you as "distinguished", just declare him "extinguished" until he finds another description for your new look.

Quick Reply: Forgive me fellow turtles, I screwed up....