Notices

A Hey Wait For Me Pitstop in my enduro this weekend...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 03:44 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Hey Wait For Me Pitstop in my enduro this weekend...

Ran an "enduro" this last weekend in the FC.

50 lap race which with my 6 gallon fuel cell required a pitstop. Picked up a codriver (driver from the Cooper Pro Series)

Plan was at the midpoint of the race codriver would start getting ready and then when done would flag me in for the pitstop.

I had a great start from the P6 spot. Passing the fifth place car on the first turn and getting the fourth place car on turn 6.

Nose to tail with the two cars in front of me for the next 24 laps. The first place D Sports Racer disappeard into the horizon leaving it a 3 way battle for second overall and first in class for FC.

About 8 laps into the race picked up a pretty solid vibration going down the shorter straights. Felt like the front tires had thrown their weights/picked up clag etc. Later found out the bracket for the rear wing was slwly breaking causing the rear wing to "wag the dog" by vibrating left and right.

LOTS of traffic, made many more passes than I could count and the racing with a few exceptions was very good and clean.

Eventually up to third overall when I came into the pits.

For my car the engine cover has to be removed to fuel the car. 2 Dzus fitting and 4 pieces of racer tape.

Then HWFMR slowness ensued.

1. Fuel Dump Jug Vent wasn't opened -- slow fuel fill and couldn't load the next driver until fueling was done.

2. Midway through the fueling one of the other cars from the shop comes in for a driver change 2 laps early. The driver getting into the car was fueling my car and had to start getting geared up leaving the attaching of the body work to me fully geared up with HANS and everything. Needless to say Duct Tape + Racing Gloves = hilarity for those watching the refuel stop. Everytime I touched the tape to cover the fasteners and such it would stick to my hand and I would look like a cartoon trying to get it off.

After all was said and done our fuel stop while still quick took us about 45-60 seconds longer than we had hoped.

Out went the codriver in 13th overall where a couple of people dropped behind due to fueling but then he picked off the rest and finished 6th overall 2nd in class. 3 of the people ahead of us didn't need a pitstop and the lead FC had an external cap for his fueling saving him 2+ minutes. The other person ahead of us was in the DSR that set fast lap but with the extensive work needed for refueling, finished just 15 seconds ahead of us.

Absolutely fun race. First time I've done a driver change. Now I want to do more and real enduros.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:23 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 758 Posts

I absolutely love enduros!

Congrats, Joe. A suggestion for the next one: "external cap for his fueling saving him 2+ minutes".

Install this on your car...
Old 10-24-2007, 06:07 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cooleyjb

I had a great start from the P6 spot. Passing the fifth place car on the first turn and getting the fourth place car on turn 6.

Nose to tail with the two cars in front of me for the next 24 laps. The first place D Sports Racer disappeard into the horizon leaving it a 3 way battle for second overall and first in class for FC.

A great job Joe!.......BUT, I feel a need to warn you that after reading the above I felt the big hand of BT reaching down to slap you with a HWFMR Probationary Period Advisory Notice! You want to avoid the BT's PPANs at all costs.

THEN, I read on to the further info about parts taking leave of the vehicle and the Monty Python like fueling scene, with duck tape, etc. and knew that you would be just fine!

Oh, and be sure to listen to VR....he picks up on all of those little subtleties!
Old 10-24-2007, 06:33 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

I can explain my actions by saying

Even sun shines on a dogs *** every once in a while... causing severe sun burn.

It is amazing how much quicker it is to refuel a car that has an external fuel neck.

Last edited by cooleyjb; 10-24-2007 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:56 PM
jester911
Drifting

Nice going Joe. Sounds like a blast.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:24 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Nothing like pulling for your scheduled,orchestrated,planned pit stop and seeing your buddy (the guy you scheduled,orchestrated and planned with) sitting in your pit early ! Also known as a voluntary stop and go.

Quick Reply: A Hey Wait For Me Pitstop in my enduro this weekend...