Notices

Something new....Formula Mazda...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 10:50 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark - It is something I will need to experience in the future...I was so far from this cars ability and felt so far beyond mine at a few points...those little bits will have to wait. My most memorable moment was coming into a corner...I was still trying to process the increased rate of information that was slamming my senses and I suddenly felt fast...WAY too fast. I honestly had no expectation of holding the corner, I mean it was almost like a "law of physics" sort of thing. So I turned...not so much as a wimper from the tires or a sputter from the suspension. If the car was alive I am sure it was laughing at me. I have felt like a stupid giggly school girl since Friday...
Old 09-23-2007, 11:19 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These cars are amazing. You will do best with a mentor. Someone you can follow to get an idea of where the limits are. Hopefully you will find a way to get more seat time in a Wings 'n Things car.

I bet the adrenaline buzz will keep you going for days.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:51 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

GLAD TO HEAR IT WAS FUN

It's something that has ruined most any other street car for you. I just got back from a weekend running my FC and it was as usual one of the coolest things ever.

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
On any given track, you will probably find one corner at which the production race cars (Porsche, Corvette, etc on slicks) will brake. You will upshift at that same place on the track. It is a real eye opener to realize that difference.
Yep, those turns are scary sometimes too. When you realize that from Turn 8 to turn 12 at Road America is flat out, while most other cars brake or at least don't accelerate hard through 9-10 and brake for 11. WOW it's a real eye opener. However after you do it once and you realize the car isn't moving it gets so much easier.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:56 AM
jester911
Drifting

Very cool Dave. Forget slippery slope. Your in a freefall now.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:06 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Great report Dave

Hell, you got my adrenaline pumping!

and great additional comments Mark and Joe.

I am afraid to take a hit off that pipe...
Old 09-24-2007, 11:39 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Great report Dave

Hell, you got my adrenaline pumping!

and great additional comments Mark and Joe.

Be afraid...be very afraid...

My 993 on hoosiers felt like a school bus after this thing!!!
Old 09-25-2007, 08:45 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
We should get you our for a session in my car so you too can be ruined.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:38 AM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

We should get you our for a session in my car so you too can be ruined.
There is an "enduro" at Blackhawk Farms at the end of October with the Midwest Council.

The Wings and Things group gets a 50 lap, 100 mile race. It's a laid back atmosphere from what I'm told.

If you two came out I'm sure I could find enough people to help with the pitstop/refuel/driver change.

I've got a codriver who runs in the Cooper F2000 series. There is at least one other Sport Racer that is pretty qucik running as well as a whole crapload of Fords and Continentals.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:20 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cooleyjb
There is an "enduro" at Blackhawk Farms at the end of October with the Midwest Council.

The Wings and Things group gets a 50 lap, 100 mile race. It's a laid back atmosphere from what I'm told.

If you two came out I'm sure I could find enough people to help with the pitstop/refuel/driver change.

I've got a codriver who runs in the Cooper F2000 series. There is at least one other Sport Racer that is pretty qucik running as well as a whole crapload of Fords and Continentals.
While that sounds like fun, my car is completely unsuited for an enduro. Fuel fill requires removal of tail AND the filler is just above the headers. Fueling while hot is a big NO-NO or you get a Car-B-Que.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:33 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is NOT a good thread for my wallet....
Old 09-25-2007, 11:55 AM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

While that sounds like fun, my car is completely unsuited for an enduro. Fuel fill requires removal of tail AND the filler is just above the headers. Fueling while hot is a big NO-NO or you get a Car-B-Que.

I have to remove the rear body work on my car too. Most every car in teh wings n things group has to do the same I think.

Mine is midline on the engine so I don't have to worry as much about the headers but they are still there. I've been told you have to be very good at figuring out your car's fuel consumption so you don't have to worry about over filling.

If you are still interested I'd make sure there was a large group of people to help with refueling so it would go as quick as possible. The shop I run with has at least 12 cars running that weekend in various classes and about 20 drivers split amongst them so there will be enough people.

Quick Reply: Something new....Formula Mazda...