Notices

Sure signs that you may have an addiction...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 01:56 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonster
Lol, very true. Of course, that can be taken two ways. I think I'll take the positive way -- in that you will have a hard time following me in my SM.
Well I'd get frustrated and just have to pass... but then HWFMR kicks in and I can't pass so then I'd just be driving two wide through the whole course. Such a quandary.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:02 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Driving two-wide is actually a lot of fun! I did that when I competed in H Production in a 1960 Bugeye Sprite. But if that little go kart in your avatar is what you go to the track in, I'm betting you'd sneak right by before I knew what was happening. Not many cars make an SM look like a tank.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:06 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Driving two-wide is actually a lot of fun! I did that when I competed in H Production in a 1960 Bugeye Sprite. But if that little go kart in your avatar is what you go to the track in, I'm betting you'd sneak right by before I knew what was happening. Not many cars make an SM look like a tank.
One of the pluses/minuses of having a car that can run on stealth mode. If I were on track with tintops I could pass them and they wouldn't know it until I had 5-10 car lengths on them.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Actually, my top is made of fiberglass, but who's asking? Lol. A good driver will be aware of you long before you pass. It's the guys who never check their mirrors you gotta look out for. Atoms, Radicals, etc., are always something I take extra care around when I know they are on the track somewhere. I've been in a Radical, I know how tall the regular cars are from down there!
Old 09-26-2007, 06:57 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

You know it when....

You use car parts as house decor or lawn sculpture. (Our non p-car friends often look at the basket handle light mounted on the wall and ask 'what kind of art is that?" And Mindy is threatening to make a table out of used brake rotors.)

Now I'm ashamed of the brake pad catalogs in the bathroom.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:05 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the original Cup Car Recaro seat from my car, along with an aftermarket passenger track seat, as part of the seating in the pool table/game room. Always a popular seating option for guests!
Old 09-26-2007, 09:34 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

I competed in H Production in a 1960 Bugeye Sprite.
Somehow I missed that comment until this thread got revived. You are really sick. No one in their right mind would race a Bugeye (Frogeye if you want to be British about it).

Oh, I raced one of those too. MOWOG (who here is old enough and warped enough to know what that is) and all the old Lucas jokes.
So my favorite Lucas joke...
Lucas makes 3 position light switches. OFF, DIM & FLICKER

Who else has some other than the classic warm beer one?
Old 09-26-2007, 09:58 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
Somehow I missed that comment until this thread got revived. You are really sick. No one in their right mind would race a Bugeye (Frogeye if you want to be British about it).

Oh, I raced one of those too. MOWOG (who here is old enough and warped enough to know what that is) and all the old Lucas jokes.
So my favorite Lucas joke...
Lucas makes 3 position light switches. OFF, DIM & FLICKER

Who else has some other than the classic warm beer one?
Being familiar with the Prince of Darkness, Lucas, I have forgotten most of them at my old age. When I tell people that one of my first cars was an 8 year old TR3, they think "big deal, it was only 8 years old". Little do they know what an 8 year old TR3, purchased from a Bar Maid at the Sand Piper Bar on 45th Street NE, near the U of W, for $600 (well, actually it was Sunday morning by then), could teach you about Lucas electrics! I quickly turned that into a '62 Austin-Healey, then an XKE. When I bought my first Porsche, a 4 year old 356, I learned that you could do other things with Saturday mornings besides fix the electrics in order to go out Saturday night, and possibly Sunday.

Oh, MOWOG????? Had a GF in High School with a Morris Minor, not encumbered by brakes....the car nor the Cheerleader GF. Hail Morris-Wolseley Garages! Never insult the God MOWOG, and he was present when you saw his name cast into various engine parts, particularly on twin-cam MGAs.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:05 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bull
Being familiar with the Prince of Darkness, Lucas, I have forgotten most of them at my old age. When I tell people that one of my first cars was an 8 year old TR3, they think "big deal, it was only 8 years old". Little do they know what an 8 year old TR3, purchased from a Bar Maid at the Sand Piper Bar on 45th Street NE, near the U of W, for $600 (well, actually it was Sunday morning by then), could teach you about Lucas electrics! I quickly turned that into a '62 Austin-Healey, then an XKE. When I bought my first Porsche, a 4 year old 356, I learned that you could do other things with Saturday mornings besides fix the electrics in order to go out Saturday night, and possibly Sunday.

Oh, MOWOG????? Had a GF in High School with a Morris Minor, not encumbered by brakes....the car nor the Cheerleader GF. Hail Morris-Wolseley Garages! Never insult the God MOWOG, and he was present when you saw his name cast into various engine parts, particularly on twin-cam MGAs.
I figured that would strike a chord with you.
Speaking of brakes. I had a 61 Alfa with triple shoe brakes - all three were aligned the same direction to get mechanical advantage forward. You could hardly stop the car backing out of a driveway. Of course that was only part of the great Italian technology. That design meant you had 12 wheel cylinders. Hmm, 12 high pressure fluid devices designed in Italy. Do you think it leaked sometimes? Actually, it always leaked so hitting the brakes normally meant that at least one wheel would lock because of the brake fluid on the shoes.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:57 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
I figured that would strike a chord with you.
Speaking of brakes. I had a 61 Alfa with triple shoe brakes - all three were aligned the same direction to get mechanical advantage forward. You could hardly stop the car backing out of a driveway. Of course that was only part of the great Italian technology. That design meant you had 12 wheel cylinders. Hmm, 12 high pressure fluid devices designed in Italy. Do you think it leaked sometimes? Actually, it always leaked so hitting the brakes normally meant that at least one wheel would lock because of the brake fluid on the shoes.

Hey, one wheel brakes can be quite manageable! Alfas hold a warm place in my heart, as I actually bought one once. While experiencing my first ever divorce in the early '70s, my then wife insisted that the 911 be sold and equal cars be obtained for each of us (she didn't want the many years old International Scout that we also owned at the time). So, I sold the 911 and bought myself a 914-6....and my soon to be ex-wife a WELL used '67 Alfa . It was an automatic oil changer, which sometimes would run for her. I saw her about 10 years ago (chance meeting in Seattle), and she had developed a sense of humor by then, saying something like "you always liked my ***, and you nailed it good with that Alfa". (of all the things to remember after 24 years!).

BTW, never buy an old British car with the battery in the boot for weight distribution purposes....unless you replace the battery to engine cable that typically runs along the right frame rail....shorting itself out with every eighth or so bump.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:52 AM
jester911
Drifting

Lucas motto: Get home before dark.
Lucas the inventor of the intermittent wiper.
The original theft deterrent device: Lucas electrics.

Here is the Lucas fuse replacement diagram:
Attached Images  
Old 09-27-2007, 08:53 AM
jester911
Drifting

You also can't be without the patented Lucas smoke replacement kit:
Attached Images  
Old 09-27-2007, 09:53 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ahh, the good old days. I remember my '66 Spitfire fondly. It never met a battery that it liked, so starting it consisted of parking it on an incline and popping the clutch.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:01 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you only use Lucas replacment smoke? Are wire smokes the same or do you have to go the the dealer for it? I ask as I seem to have lots of wire smoke stored up and have to release it from time to time. As of yet I have not tried to save any.

Can wire or electric motor smoke be used to recharge computers when the board smoke leaks out?
Old 09-27-2007, 12:49 PM
jester911
Drifting

Yes, only "genuwine" Lucas replacement smoke can be used on your Lucas wiring harness. Not all wire smokes are created equal. You must also have the Churchill Tool 18G548BS adapter tube and metering valve shown here to make certain that your replacement smoke is indeed replaced.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Sure signs that you may have an addiction...