Wierd weekend

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 01:12 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Wierd weekend

Had a real weird weekend this past at Waterford Hills... Was just about working myself up to an HWFMR application on Saturday! Qualified in pretty good rain, full wet conditions... kicked butt and took ITB pole cause I bailed at the last minute and swapped on rains, unlike the other guys.

Started the race 3rd over all... only, well, I didn't start the race... oil line cooked on the header and oiled it up... smoking on the pace lap, and in flames by turn 3, had to bail. Where's the puking smiley?? Worst part was I smelled the smoke at the end of qualifying, but didn't think to check on it, because I was closing on other cars - mainly, my teammate - and thought it must've been them! Ah, pride...

Anyway, no damage to the car (didn't even have to pop a bottle, the car was still quite cold), replaced the dead line without too much trouble - even had a spare line long enough!

Of course, then my plea goes right out the window Sunday... tore up the track in emergency practice... started at the back again for the race, and once again CHARGED the field all the way up to 2nd and closing on the ITB leader before the car got real loose, started falling off the track all over the place, and very nearly lost 2nd to the slow old Rustang that always stalks behind us, waiting for a spot.

Sunday's Feature race was even worse; lead it flag-to-flag and the only competition dropped a cylinder - guess that's the problem with running those Bimmers, hear it's a weak point - and even our drastic setup change to fix the real loose setup worked perfectly - completely disconnected the rear swaybar, as it was already at full soft and the car was just loose, but that worked just dandy and the car came to me in the second half of the race, just as the Bimmer tried to close to grappling range...
Old 08-27-2007, 01:21 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sometimes these kind of things will overcome a person. If you sit quietly and try not to think about it, you will likely return to the necessary form required of an applicant to HWFMR.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:17 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh wait, that jobs been filled. Nevermind.

Neglecting the oil line is a good start! Thats the kinda work that can make many people slow.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:35 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

LOL... Reminds me of my wife's response when the desire to really get cracking on a job comes over her... she prefers to lay down until the feeling goes away...

Of course, truth be told, the real reason I'll never make it as a member is not my speed, or ability to throw away a win (the Bimmer's tires were completely corded, did I mention?), but because of a fundamentally inadequate sense of humour. I blame it on my mother being a displaced Brit, and my father being a terminal geek.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:03 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That kind of honesty will get you nowhere.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:48 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by 924RACR
Had a real weird weekend this past at Waterford Hills... Was just about working myself up to an HWFMR application on Saturday! Qualified in pretty good rain, full wet conditions... kicked butt and took ITB pole cause I bailed at the last minute and swapped on rains, unlike the other guys.

Started the race 3rd over all... only, well, I didn't start the race... oil line cooked on the header and oiled it up... smoking on the pace lap, and in flames by turn 3, had to bail. Where's the puking smiley?? Worst part was I smelled the smoke at the end of qualifying, but didn't think to check on it, because I was closing on other cars - mainly, my teammate - and thought it must've been them! Ah, pride...

Anyway, no damage to the car (didn't even have to pop a bottle, the car was still quite cold), replaced the dead line without too much trouble - even had a spare line long enough!

Of course, then my plea goes right out the window Sunday... tore up the track in emergency practice... started at the back again for the race, and once again CHARGED the field all the way up to 2nd and closing on the ITB leader before the car got real loose, started falling off the track all over the place, and very nearly lost 2nd to the slow old Rustang that always stalks behind us, waiting for a spot.

Sunday's Feature race was even worse; lead it flag-to-flag and the only competition dropped a cylinder - guess that's the problem with running those Bimmers, hear it's a weak point - and even our drastic setup change to fix the real loose setup worked perfectly - completely disconnected the rear swaybar, as it was already at full soft and the car was just loose, but that worked just dandy and the car came to me in the second half of the race, just as the Bimmer tried to close to grappling range...

You should be ashamed of yourself.

I am embarassed to share a last name with you.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:05 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

LOL!

Here's the video of the Sunday morning race...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ympYSnOu7OY

Quick Reply: Wierd weekend