Notices

My plan to turn pro racer

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 01:22 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Bon

Here's how to tell a real ski run. If you're standing on the top at the edge, you look down and the bottom of the run is between your ski tips and your boots.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:26 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eheh, no thanks, Mike. It'll be a LONG time before I'm good enough to take on something like that! Although, I must say, I have imagined how fun that would be. Runs like that are why good skiiers are typically in really good shape.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:30 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonster
Runs like that are why good skiiers are typically in really good shape.
You'd like them Bon.
Ski bums have ski buns.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:23 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Well, give me a couple of years -- maybe by then I'll actually be able to ski down a diamond slope rather than slide down it on my ****.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:24 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't skiied much, so I could very well be wrong. I saw the red slopes indicated at Heavenly Valley last February. I didn't actually notice if the slopes were physically marked as such, I only saw it on the map. So like I said, I could easily be wrong. I'll look closer next time (we're going again in November if the weather cooperates).
Heavenly must be incredibly crowded these days. In the late '70s, a friend of mine was the Football Coach at Utah State, and one of his perks was a house a couple of blocks off of Ski Run Blvd. We used it in the winter and summer, at least one trip each season. Now we (different "we") spend time in Incline Village every couple of years.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:38 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

If you go during the week at non-holiday times, it's not so bad. I always try to go when I know school is in and there isn't a holiday too terribly close. And I always go up on Sunday afternoon and return on Friday afternoon. This cuts down on the traffic along 50 a bunch. Incline Village is on the north shore, right? It's close to pretty much everything. Next time you go, if you are an advanced skiier, I hear Squaw Valley is not to be beat.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:40 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

If you go during the week at non-holiday times, it's not so bad. I always try to go when I know school is in and there isn't a holiday too terribly close. And I always go up on Sunday afternoon and return on Friday afternoon. This cuts down on the traffic along 50 a bunch. Incline Village is on the north shore, right? It's close to pretty much everything. Next time you go, if you are an advanced skiier, I hear Squaw Valley is not to be beat.
And what you hear about Squaw is accurate. I know the area very well, but at this time I am restricted to teaching classroom sessions only for skiing, held in the corner, near the fireplace, in most any lodge!
Old 08-09-2007, 02:57 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

How come, Bob? Maybe if you are out this way sometime soon John and I can get some lessons? We've had lessons, but only at the beginner level (up to the third day of classes). I'm going to need some more training before I even think about a diamond slope. But you never know . . . two years ago I would have laughed at the idea of even touching a slope. Yeah, I'm a late bloomer. Or maybe I just have better medical benefits now.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:20 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

How come, Bob? Maybe if you are out this way sometime soon John and I can get some lessons? .........................................
I wore out my mittens.

Always happy to give Lodge Lessons.

Quick Reply: My plan to turn pro racer