Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

DSC Module and road experience

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 12:26 AM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

We got to meet the man himself, Mike Levitas!

[/url] by Peter Moy, on Flickr

Tom helping to swap the unit into the GT4

Old 04-23-2017, 12:32 AM
PistolPete
Drifting

And a few photos of some of the other cars in our Dragon road trip group so far:

[/url]
by https://www.flickr.com/photos/pistolpete13/, on Flickr

[/url]by Peter Moy, on Flickr
Old 04-23-2017, 12:37 AM
PistolPete
Drifting

By the end of next week we should have about 2000 miles of back to back testing on highways and twisties in all types of weather conditions. We've already tested the monsoon weather today!

Stay tuned for impressions.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:38 AM
chewy08753
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 31 Posts

We will have a full write up at the end of our trip but I'm super impressed so far ����
Old 04-23-2017, 12:16 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
Thanks - the install does look easy.
So increased damping force applied means stiffer suspension = bumpier ride (assuming all else is equal)?

If DSC in normal mode is 10% - 100% damping force, what is PASM in normal mode? You mention 10% range, but is that 0% - 10%, or some other range that covers 10%?
Thanks in advance for your answers.
Since you're just changing shock valving on the fly, then this only seems to affect shock rebound
Old 04-24-2017, 05:55 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 914 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by Perimeter
Since you're just changing shock valving on the fly, then this only seems to affect shock rebound
DSC adds compression to the front dampers to significantly reduce front dive during medium to hard braking. DSC also adds compression to the outside shocks during a turn to reduce body roll. DSC users can attest to this.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:51 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by chewy08753
We will have a full write up at the end of our trip but I'm super impressed so far ����

Looking forward to your write up and impressions after a week of back to back testing!
Old 04-30-2017, 04:44 PM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts

+1 post up some info asap
Old 04-30-2017, 07:38 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

I took a test drive jumping between my stock GT4 and the DSC equipped one. At sane road speeds and conditions, the difference in feel is hard to accurately describe but here goes:

Comfort: The car seems to glide over rough road conditions. You still "feel" any bumps and concrete road seams, but the initial hit is not as harsh as my stock car. You still know what is happening on the road, but it's not bashing you over the head.

Performance: Quick left right transitions on curvy roads the DSC car feels more planted and feels like it's not leaning as much. This may encourage you to push harder but I was not about to do so in a car that was not my own!

We put a LOT of miles on this trip (I had 2200 miles round trip) and drove the cars HARD. The owner of the DSC car has been swamped with work since returning from our trip and will post his impressions as soon as he can.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:32 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,090 Likes on 573 Posts

I put the DSC in my car about 200mi ago. I agree with Pete. To me the most noticeable change is in sport. The harshness is reduced and makes sport mode more usable . You can feel the difference more on transitions it actually feels like it quickens turn-in similar to adding a stiffer rear sway bay.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:26 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,457 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by 4carl
I put the DSC in my car about 200mi ago. I agree with Pete. To me the most noticeable change is in sport. The harshness is reduced and makes sport mode more usable . You can feel the difference more on transitions it actually feels like it quickens turn-in similar to adding a stiffer rear sway bay.

I agree.....this plus the improvement during hard braking, less weight transfer/dive. I also noticed that on bad surfaces (like one of our tracks) it helps a lot as the system will adjust accordingly between good and bad surface...also if you want to get a little over the curbs it helps.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:22 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,090 Likes on 573 Posts

Just came back from 40 miles of canyons because i wanted to get more seat time with the DSC. A lot of the difference is subtle and you notice it over time. It does make the ride more refined and sport-mode seems to have a wider range of usability.
i would call it a suspension tune up or fine tuning rather than an overhaul and with more miles i appreciate the difference more.

I took the focus RS i just got out after to compare and it felt like a po-go stick. Made the GT4 feel like a Buick
Ford did an awful job on the suspension tuning.
they have two settings:
1.harsh
2.Unbearable -(even on a smooth track)
carl

Last edited by 4carl; 05-01-2017 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:41 AM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Just came back from 40 miles of canyons because i wanted to get more seat time with the DSC. A lot of the difference is subtle and you notice it over time. It does make the ride more refined and sport-mode seems to have a wider range of usability.
i would call it a suspension tune up or fine tuning rather than an overhaul and with more miles i appreciate the difference more.

I took the focus RS i just got out after to compare and it felt like a po-go stick. Made the GT4 feel like a Buick
Ford did an awful job on the suspension tuning.
they have two settings:
1.harsh
2.Unbearable -(even on a smooth track)
carl
Thanks for the feedback!

We've noticed the same thing on our development Focus RS. We're hoping to roll out support for this at the end of the year. Unfortunately, as far as I understand it will require the damper upgrade as well as the OEM dampers are not sophisticated enough for our control strategies (this is my best understanding, although I need to confirm with the engineers still).

sales@dscsport.com | (410) 799-7798
Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Old 05-11-2017, 01:59 AM
O5C4R
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

great thread - how did you find it on aussie roads Bardman

Last edited by O5C4R; 05-11-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:20 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I took the focus RS i just got out after to compare and it felt like a po-go stick. Made the GT4 feel like a Buick Ford did an awful job on the suspension tuning. they have two settings: 1.harsh 2.Unbearable -(even on a smooth track) carl
I have a 2017 Ford Focus RS I've done 4000 hard road and track miles in over the 10 weeks I've owned it since new. I think it's nicely set up for fast road on the standard settings and the sport shocks work really well on the track (but are way too hard on the road). However I've spent the last 10 years in various sports cars from 993RS to 991 GT3.

I've just started tracking a GT4 after 3 years and 17000 miles on a 991 GT3 (20-25 track days). Comparing a GT4 to a Focus RS is comparing a sports car to a hot hatch. I don't think it's particularly fair or relevant but in defence of the Focus RS it has exceeded my expectations and I've been driving it more than the GT4. I have the Cobb AP with Tune+ Tune from Adam making 396 bhp and 550nm after

Quick Reply: DSC Module and road experience