PCCB Wear Measurements

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 04:42 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 148 Posts
Default PCCB Wear Measurements

CLIFF NOTES VERSION: About 2k miles of advanced/red group track miles used about 8% - 15% of PCCB rotors.

LONG VERSION:
Several people have asked that I post my PCCB wear measurements. Just got my rotors back from the dealer and here are the measurements.

I don't have the exact overall mileage, track mileage and track days/sessions with me but I will update the chart with this info when I get home.

In a nutshell, I have about 2k track miles, about 1k street miles. I've used between 8% - 15% of my PCCBs -- if you assume the wear rate is linear. I doubt this will be the case.

45% of the time on NJMP Thunderbolt, 45% on NJMP Lightning and 10% at Summit Point.

I leave the car nannies on about 90% of the time. I'm pretty quick at these tracks but am a finesse driver -- i.e., I am pretty smooth on transitions -- and try not to be on the ragged edge. Roots in SCCA Spec Racer which is a momentum car. When I was running SRF I usually got much longer tire and brake life compared to others, even though I finished typically top 10 in my races.

Car setup: TPC rear toe links, Cargraphics race headers. Otherwise stock.

I'll remeasure at the end of this upcoming season.

Hope this helps and it would be nice if others posted their wear...

GT4 PCCB wear chart

Last edited by johnsopa; 02-23-2017 at 05:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
artongdou (12-08-2022)
Old 02-24-2017, 08:47 AM
PCarOMFS
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Great data and thank you for sharing! I appreciate you taking the plunge on track with PCCB's considering the replacement costs and sharing your experience. Like you you said, assuming the wear rate is linear you should far exceed the longevity of an iron set up, making the PCCBs cost effective. Do you ever run Watkins Glen? I'll be up there with Niagara and NY Metro for a few events this year with my GT4.

Mike
Old 02-25-2017, 10:15 PM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for doing this -
Inspires me to get mine tested in March.
Will post if I do.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:07 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

OP seems to suggest that wear is NOT linear, which seems to be the case on the other pccb wear threads on the GT3/RS forum also. Cliff notes there is that there is a dramatic drop off after a certain point, which also seems to vary dramatically between users. Heat, difference in cool down laps, driving style, which generation of Pccb.. all these seem to affect wear rates hugely. Worst cases seem to be rotor failure after a few track days, while others last longer but recommend flipping pads after just two track days. Again, There is a massive thread on this in that forum which is worth checking out, huge repository of info

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/867060-new-pccb-and-track-days-o-facts-feedback-thread.html
Old 02-26-2017, 03:45 PM
MVEED3
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

to you OP!

Since rotors look like they'll hang around for awhile, any consideration toward the Pagid RSC# pads when it's time for a fresh set?
Old 02-26-2017, 03:55 PM
trebien
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
OP seems to suggest that wear is NOT linear...
Correct, and will be interesting to see that curve shift over time.

Kudos to the OP for being a guinea pig, but since I track a lot I chose the steel option. If I really wanted PCCB, I would just get the ST setup instead.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:49 PM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

One can simply just swap to steel rotors once the rotors are close to being done. Thats my plan when my ceramic rotors wear down.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:28 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by Shockwave
One can simply just swap to steel rotors once the rotors are close to being done. Thats my plan when my ceramic rotors wear down.
Yea, but if you're ok with steel rotors, what was the point of the PCCB investment in the first place? If I'm spending $9k on rotors which produce little dust, have different feel, and are supposed to last 100k miles.. then I want the $9k benefit to last me more than a few months or year. If I then have to switch to steel because the replacement cost is absurd ($25k?).. then why spend $9k to start?

Unless Porsche comes out with a vastly improved gen 4 PCCB (maybe on the upcoming GT3?).. they don't yet make sense for the track.

However, let's not forget the SICOM refurbishing service which for approx $1k/rotor will re-impregnate them with resin and bring them back to new.
Surge74 (08-02-2019)
Old 02-27-2017, 12:35 AM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

CAlexio, are you applying logic
to Porsche purchasing decisions?

"These are yellow..."
WhiteGT4 (01-20-2022)
Old 02-27-2017, 12:35 AM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Yea, but if you're ok with steel rotors, what was the point of the PCCB investment in the first place? If I'm spending $9k on rotors which produce little dust, have different feel, and are supposed to last 100k miles.. then I want the $9k benefit to last me more than a few months or year. If I then have to switch to steel because the replacement cost is absurd ($25k?).. then why spend $9k to start?

Unless Porsche comes out with a vastly improved gen 4 PCCB (maybe on the upcoming GT3?).. they don't yet make sense for the track.

However, let's not forget the SICOM refurbishing service which for approx $1k/rotor will re-impregnate them with resin and bring them back to new.
Don't get me wrong... PCCB should last me the life of the car since I don't drive/track my car that often but IF and when I do heavily track it the option is there to simply swap the steel rotors if budget does not allow for ceramics.

Are there any solid aftermarket ceramic options?
Old 02-27-2017, 12:36 AM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by laranja
CAlexio, are you applying logic
to Porsche purchasing decisions?

"These are yellow..."
LOL!
Old 02-27-2017, 12:43 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Don't get me wrong... PCCB should last me the life of the car since I don't drive/track my car that often but IF and when I do heavily track it the option is there to simply swap the steel rotors if budget does not allow for ceramics.

On that thread I linked above, girodisk rotors seemed to emerge as the popular replacement option BC of durability and cost, I believe they allow you to replace rotors with Camaro ones which are same thing just cheaper. Again, that thread seems to be the end-all be all repository for good info.

Also SICOM allows for complete refurbishment of Porsche PCCB rotors.. just have to mail them to Germany so long downtime.

And yes, I do agree that all reasoning pales when faced with YELLOW ;-)
Old 02-27-2017, 12:50 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,545 Likes on 5,067 Posts

What makes one think the wear rate is not linear?
Old 02-28-2017, 02:25 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by MVEED3
to you OP!

Since rotors look like they'll hang around for awhile, any consideration toward the Pagid RSC# pads when it's time for a fresh set?
Probably just going to stick with the OE pads for now. Seems like the they're wearing fine. I'll probably change them when they get to 50% or so.

Yep, same here. I'll wait until they're approximately 40-50% then swap out to Giros or the like. When I'm ready to make the switch, I'll probably try do swap them in between track days so I can get an almost-back-to-back impression. Then, while I run the Giros for awhile, I'll send the PCCBs off to be recoated by SICOM.

When they get back from SICOM, I'll try to get them measured again by the dealer to see what happens to the numbers.

Keep in mind this will probably be another year out (hopefully).

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I don't think there's going to be a cliff-dropoff but I don't think we have enough data points (e.g., a bunch of people doing regular measurements) to say one way or another. I should have left that comment off of my original post.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:50 PM
trebien
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless Porsche comes out with a vastly improved gen 4 PCCB...
At minimum, for GT cars, rumor is that a new material & process supplier is in dev...

Yes, the little-known Surface Transforms, which contrary to typical situations, makes me WANT to switch from my original STEEL setup to a CERAMIC setup.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
PCCB info is sparse, but historically those that test their rotor life see progressive wear rates.

Originally Posted by johnsopa
Probably just going to stick with the OE pads for now.
Also, since it is the HEAT of the rotor that causes the resin to deplete... pad choices that minimize the heat build-up will make the rotors wear longer, sometimes by significant amounts. Sometimes just a little extra heat will greatly increase the rotor wear rates, after a certain temperature point is reached.

Quick Reply: PCCB Wear Measurements