Sponsored by: APR

PCCB Wear Measurements

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 10:52 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 148 Posts

Bump to the top... don't forget that winter storage months are the perfect time to take off your PCCBs to get them measured.

I'm in the process of doing that myself. All rotors are off. Only took about 90 mins this time. Glad to have Tarrett caliper studs!

I'm traveling next week but when I get back I will get them measured and will post results. Would be great if others do the same.
Attached Images     
Old 01-19-2018, 12:59 AM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 104 Posts

I was considering getting a used CPO car with pccb maybe. Just throwing the idea around in my head anyway.

Along with a DME report is it reasonable to ask the dealer to measure pccb? or do they have to fix brake hardware as part of the CPO?

Also isn't there a vendor in the usa that can refurbish the rotors? Racing brake?
Old 01-19-2018, 12:21 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

My car is in the dealer for some work and they are going to measure my pccb as well.

To note, their GT specific tech ( only works on the GT3RS/GT3/GT2 ect) said the 991/981 are greatly improved in their wear vs the 997 and previous gen. He told me he's seen some 2014 Gt3 with tons of track use with no major concerns yet. Good to hear!
The following users liked this post:
Perimeter (12-31-2019)
Old 01-20-2018, 03:45 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wonder when these are gonna start showing up as an option on more of Porsche's lineup https://blog.caranddriver.com/in-dep...coated-brakes/
Old 02-02-2018, 07:47 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default 1,500 track miles and basically ZERO PCCB wear!

So, this update will surely generate some controversy.

I took my PCCB rotors off last winter and had them measured (see the beginning of this thread). Did the same thing this week and just got back from the dealer with my rotors.

Since February 2017, I've added about 1,500 track miles and about 3k miles total. Guess what? Essentially ZERO wear has been measured since then.

Now, I'm not silly enough to believe that there has been zero wear. However, I think it's safe to say that these rotors are wearing very well.

I'm a red group driver (open passing), typically pretty fast, also typically smooth and very progressive with my braking and don't use ABS much (former Spec Racer Ford driver, pure momentum car). I drive with all nannies ON. I also use brakes as little as possible on the cool down lap and also drive around the paddock for a few mins before parking.

I was planning to switch to Giros or maybe Racing Brake (Brembo carbons) or Surface Transforms, but at this rate, I think I'll just get new OE pads and keep running PCCBs.

My GT4 is stored on my 4-post lift currently with a cover on it so I don't have the exact mileage and I forgot to measure the pads. They're still the original pads. I'll try to get a measurement shortly.

Also, note that I rotated pads inside/out (but I kept them on the same corner) last year when I had my rotors measured.

Let the analysis begin...

The following 2 users liked this post by johnsopa:
Perimeter (12-31-2019), SFZ GT3 (08-23-2020)
Old 02-06-2018, 05:42 AM
greenhorn
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the data point.
Having read that you managed 3000 track miles on one set of OEM pads gets me thinking that you might not be using all the brakes you have.
Or am I misreading that you're still running the pads the car left the showroom with?
Old 02-06-2018, 09:43 AM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by greenhorn
Thanks for the data point.
Having read that you managed 3000 track miles on one set of OEM pads gets me thinking that you might not be using all the brakes you have.
Or am I misreading that you're still running the pads the car left the showroom with?
Correct, still on the original pads as delivered. I'll measure them tonight -- they're probably down to 8mm - 10mm in pad material thickness.

I'm quick but pretty easy on brakes.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:40 AM
KOTYKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 63 Posts

Any update a year later on how your PCCB's are doing?
Old 06-02-2019, 09:22 AM
mnm222876
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

How many street miles does it take to equal on track mile when it comes to pad and rotor wear?
Old 12-29-2019, 07:57 PM
tlaritz
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

A couple questions:

1. Does changing from ceramic to steel rotors invalidate all or part of the factory or CPO warranty? I have a CPO 2016 GT4 and am contemplating switching to steel rotors until I become a competent track driver.
2. According to the 991 thread mentioned above, ceramic rotors may fail in ways which are visible. They may also be worn past their useful life as detected by the Porsche tool (which checks density, I believe). How can a PCCB-equipped car be tech inspected accurately prior to track events given that some rotors past their useful life can be detected only with the Porsche tool?
Old 12-31-2019, 12:53 AM
tlaritz
Instructor

I'd appreciate others' interpretation of the attached PCCB wear as measured by the Porsche tool. Some specific questions:

1. Why would the left rear have an average wear of only 11% when all of the others are in the low-to-mid 20's? Track use with lots of left turns? I notice that johnsopa's data shows a similar effect: about 1/2 the wear on the left rear tire compared to the other 3.
2. Does anyone know the meaning of "Functional Test Deviation"? It is circled in the upper right corner of the results.
3. An observation: There is error associated with any measurement, even if if the measurement is performed correctly. I wonder what the accuracy is of the Porsche tool and if the inherent accuracy of the tester might explain any of the strange readings observed previously, such as the wear decreasing over time or the fact that one of my readings showed 0 wear despite 5656 miles. It would be an interesting test to make two consecutive readings (ie, without re-mounting the rotor) on a set of rotors to see how large the reading-to-reading variation is.
4. Question: When does Porsche mandate replacement of the rotor? Is replacement based on the average wear for the rotor, or just one of the 3 readings being beyond the wear limit?
5. Do both rotors on an axle need to be replaced if only one rotor is beyond the wear limit?

Bottom line: I wonder if we all are "chasing our tails" because the accuracy of the measurements using the Porsche tool is low.

BTW, my guy at the porsche dealer indicated that switching to steel/iron rotors from PCCB would not invalidate my CPO warranty.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
pccb.pdf (334.1 KB, 146 views)

Last edited by tlaritz; 12-31-2019 at 01:17 AM.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:23 AM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by tlaritz
I'd appreciate others' interpretation of the attached PCCB wear as measured by the Porsche tool. Some specific questions:

1. Why would the left rear have an average wear of only 11% when all of the others are in the low-to-mid 20's? Track use with lots of left turns? I notice that johnsopa's data shows a similar effect: about 1/2 the wear on the left rear tire compared to the other 3.
2. Does anyone know the meaning of "Functional Test Deviation"? It is circled in the upper right corner of the results.
3. An observation: There is error associated with any measurement, even if if the measurement is performed correctly. I wonder what the accuracy is of the Porsche tool and if the inherent accuracy of the tester might explain any of the strange readings observed previously, such as the wear decreasing over time or the fact that one of my readings showed 0 wear despite 5656 miles. It would be an interesting test to make two consecutive readings (ie, without re-mounting the rotor) on a set of rotors to see how large the reading-to-reading variation is.
4. Question: When does Porsche mandate replacement of the rotor? Is replacement based on the average wear for the rotor, or just one of the 3 readings being beyond the wear limit?
5. Do both rotors on an axle need to be replaced if only one rotor is beyond the wear limit?

Bottom line: I wonder if we all are "chasing our tails" because the accuracy of the measurements using the Porsche tool is low.

BTW, my guy at the porsche dealer indicated that switching to steel/iron rotors from PCCB would not invalidate my CPO warranty.
Were the rotors measured OFF the car? Measuring on the car can create odd results....
Old 12-31-2019, 01:38 AM
tlaritz
Instructor

They charged me $300 in labor to perform the rotor measurements. Thus, I assume the measurements were made with the rotors off the car.

If Porsche techs are not consistently making the measurements using the same procedure, then we really are chasing our tales. Given the rotor replacement costs and human safety at stake , inconsistent procedures in making the measurements of the rotors should probably be addressed via the courts.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:29 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts

They measure each side of the rotor in 3 spots for carbon content with the special Porsche tool
Old 12-31-2019, 10:39 AM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by tlaritz
They charged me $300 in labor to perform the rotor measurements. Thus, I assume the measurements were made with the rotors off the car.

If Porsche techs are not consistently making the measurements using the same procedure, then we really are chasing our tales. Given the rotor replacement costs and human safety at stake , inconsistent procedures in making the measurements of the rotors should probably be addressed via the courts.
Assume if you like but if you want to know I would ask. I think it's fair to say Porsche dealer service prices have almost zero correlation with quality of service.

Quick Reply: PCCB Wear Measurements