Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Humbly presenting…Rhodium GT4

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 12:28 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 375 Posts

Back in March 2015, when I first read about the GT4, I had never considered seriously buying a Porsche … or any real sports car, for that matter. Little did I know that that article—praising the GT4 as perhaps the best driver’s car available, at any price—would start me on a path that continued with my ordering and taking delivery of my very first personally spec’ed car…and launching me into the world of performance track driving (with some 20 days in my first year!).

Since landing a GT4 seems like an accomplishment, especially after the first dealer I called in April 2015 told me they were all already sold out and “there’s no way you’re getting one,” it’s only fitting to thank people who helped me get here or inspired my thinking along the way.

In no particular order, I want to thank many anonymous people on Rennlist who helped direct me in various ways and who inspired me in others; the great folks at Porsche Monmouth, who granted me an allocation, and who provided a very smooth ordering and delivery experience; GMAKI, for creating the GT4 database that helped me select the most rare color available, Rhodium Silver, a color I would not have thought would be rare, nor one I likely would have selected (since I had had many silver cars), and with which I am incredibly thrilled; Eduardo (aka Z356), for being a fount of great style information and for introducing me to Melissa Witek, formerly of Porsche Exclusive, who helped me with some key design elements (silver wheels, etc.), even though many other elements I wanted were “not available”; John Dunkle, creator of Rennlist, which helps a bunch of crazies help each other in this passion/addiction/hobby of ours; and of course Eddie and Matt, of Detailing Dynamics, who helped bring my GT4 to life with individual characteristics of its own.

In building my GT4, I tried to balance a minimalist, track-focused approach with some style elements that added to the car without overdoing it. I also tried to be different so long as different wasn't abnormal. For example, while I have red belts I resisted the common red deviated stitching and kept the platinum but I added red painted vent slats, which is different without being over the top. Finding no use for PCM, I omitted it…but I ordered Sports Chrono because I like the look of the clock and I wanted the Track Precision app (which some at Porsche insisted didn’t work without PCM, but my RL friends confirmed otherwise). While I would have preferred to have dynamic and more powerful headlights (PDLS), since I couldn’t delete the headlight washers (Melissa said No Can Do), I preferred a cleaner look without the washers. No SAT radio wart, either. I like the look of carbon fiber bits, but to keep cost down I resisted. I splurged on some silly costs—Alcantara sun visors, because I like the clean consistency it brings with the Alcantara roof liner, and leather steering column cover, because many on RL raved about it. The one option I omitted and now regret is the silly auto-dimming mirrors (that also come with auto windshield wipers), which are standard on cars costing less than a third of a GT4. I’ll get by flipping the annoying adjuster on the rearview mirror, something I hadn’t done in 20 years! Regarding costs overall, I choose a below-average MSRP recognizing I would add another ten grand or more in detailing [PPF], harness bar/roll bar, and track harnesses, among other things.

I hope I don’t burst Rennlist’s MB pipe with all of these photos. I’ll try to share those from the beginning, when the baby first exited the truck at the dealer…to the day I took delivery and then proceeded to let my OCD get the best of me for the car’s journey to the detailer (or presto-chango, How to create a Voodoo Blue GT4 in two easy hours!)…to some intermediate photos while the car was getting PPF’d and otherwise prettied up…to the real delivery day, when I drove it away from the detailer and started to live with the dream that started nearly a year and a half ago.
Attached Images           

Last edited by HelpMeHelpU; 08-09-2016 at 05:48 PM. Reason: fixed typos
Old 08-09-2016, 12:34 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

And some more....

Old 08-09-2016, 12:37 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

...And more.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:53 AM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Congrats!

I think you beat me with the blue tape wrapping...
Old 08-09-2016, 01:02 AM
user1029
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 267 Posts

I love the red accents

Porsche really knocks you back to the stone ages if you don't go for certain options. For instance, I didn't get the PCM and I'm back to playing CDs again...Plus the low res screen looks like my first generation iphone
Old 08-09-2016, 01:14 AM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Terrific story and build - definitely unique with the red 'sprinkles' without being OTT! Congrats!

As far as the auto-dimming mirrors you regret not spec'ing - think of some of the pros. A). You get an analog switch which only befits the car's character and inherent intent. B). If you opt for the European aspheric mirror glass replacement (which drastically reduces blind spots and is standard in ROW cars), it is only 2x$98 for non-dimming, and 2x$412 had you had auto-dimming!

There, single regret feeling more digestable? Drive in good health!
Old 08-09-2016, 03:51 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand
Terrific story and build - definitely unique with the red 'sprinkles' without being OTT! Congrats!

As far as the auto-dimming mirrors you regret not spec'ing - think of some of the pros. A). You get an analog switch which only befits the car's character and inherent intent. B). If you opt for the European aspheric mirror glass replacement (which drastically reduces blind spots and is standard in ROW cars), it is only 2x$98 for non-dimming, and 2x$412 had you had auto-dimming!

There, single regret feeling more digestable? Drive in good health!
Passenger side is already convex glass (like euro OEM), so only driver's side needs the aspherical replacement.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:53 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by user1029
I love the red accents

Porsche really knocks you back to the stone ages if you don't go for certain options. For instance, I didn't get the PCM and I'm back to playing CDs again...Plus the low res screen looks like my first generation iphone
AUX to BT adapter, my friend! Bose one works better than the OEM BT that never stays defaulted.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:02 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Congrats!
Old 08-09-2016, 08:58 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Congrats!
Great story and congrats on your one of a kind creation
Old 08-09-2016, 09:39 AM
SJJ28
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 43 Posts

Love the interior bits in red! The addition of the seat belt holes matches the painted slats perfectly!
Old 08-09-2016, 10:08 AM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

She's a Beauty!
Old 08-09-2016, 10:08 AM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks great--congrats!
Old 08-09-2016, 10:45 AM
user1029
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
AUX to BT adapter, my friend! Bose one works better than the OEM BT that never stays defaulted.
Nice
Old 08-09-2016, 11:41 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 299 Posts

I'm also a fan of the Rhodium Silver.

I like what you've done with the side mirrors and removing the logo in the back. Just having the GT4 is a clean look. I'm considering going with a full satin wrap which on the Silver looks awesome IMHO.

Here's my ride with the track wheels on: 19" forgeline GAR1s in matte bronze.

Rich
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
HelpMeHelpU (06-02-2020)

Quick Reply: Humbly presenting…Rhodium GT4