Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT4 Sport Mode

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 10:20 PM
VLJ
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Haha it's not that I care but I do notice when scrolling through the dash display that I get much less than advertised.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:17 PM
GT4Tony
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Perimeter
MPGs, hadn't thought of that aspect in a GT4...
Me neither. On a positive note. At least it's not a Veyron... it would be GPM.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:45 AM
tdjohn
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrPhil Gandini
A friend with GT4 who is a talented racer is annoyed by the rev-match feature also. But this is his beef: the auto blip engages when you select the next gear--as you enter the gear gate. But he rev matches when he leaves the previous gear-as he enters the neutral slot. Hence his match is a fraction of a second before the auto blip match--thus causing a real problem for him.
As for me, I never learned to rev match, so auto blip is just plain cool...
Originally Posted by Radiantm3
He is exactly right. Same scenario for me. It blips a split second before me. The sport button is unusable for me regardless of what other benefits it may or may not have.
First post here as we've just signed on our GT4, suitable spec for us, but taking a bit of a gamble as still over list but there we go.

Anyway this has been the big worry for me, the auto blip. I drove the car for the first time and it only does it with sport mode activated which is great as you are in control as to when you do it.

However I really don't understand these two comments quoted. The fact that it "auto blips going into gear rather than out".

Heel and toe is utilised so that when you release the clutch and engage the lower gear the engine speed is already up to the wheel speed. This is to prevent the transmission locking the driven wheels during the downshift and the resulting unfortunate effects (particluarly when trail braking). It has nothing to do with blipping the throttle to get the car out of gear so in this respect the auto blip (however frustrating) is correct on the car.

Last edited by tdjohn; 07-27-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:25 PM
jlennox
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it possible turn off auto-blip with a cobb tune? Or can y
a pro-tuner make a custom tune to where throttle response, engine cooling, and whatever else the sport button effects is always activated? Basically making the sport button only activates the auto-blip and nothing else.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:28 PM
tdjohn
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just watched Chris Harris's video review of the GT4 when first released. If you notice he does all the track driving with the sport mode turned off:

Old 07-28-2017, 02:25 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jlennox
Is it possible turn off auto-blip with a cobb tune? Or can y
a pro-tuner make a custom tune to where throttle response, engine cooling, and whatever else the sport button effects is always activated? Basically making the sport button only activates the auto-blip and nothing else.
The only other important thing it does other than throttle blipping is activate the additional cooling mode early. If you push the car, it will activate the additional cooling mode automatically, so you can simply treat the Sport button as the throttle blipping button. No pro-tuning required.

Originally Posted by tdjohn
Just watched Chris Harris's video review of the GT4 when first released. If you notice he does all the track driving with the sport mode turned off:

https://youtu.be/L9-Sr8RPty4
Exactly.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:59 PM
jlennox
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
The only other important thing it does other than throttle blipping is activate the additional cooling mode early. If you push the car, it will activate the additional cooling mode automatically, so you can simply treat the Sport button as the throttle blipping button. No pro-tuning required.

Exactly.
Any thoughts to this post?
Old 07-28-2017, 02:07 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

Thought this whole thing was more internet lore, until I tried it repeatedly in situations where the car and weather were steady state. Sure enough, I see 30-40° coolant temp drops and marked oil temp drops like clockwork almost immediately after hitting the Sport button. Every time, and I've tried it a lot of times now. And I can watch the coolant temp tumble within seconds of hitting the button, first a couple of degrees, then a few, and then a lot more—all within a couple or a few minutes even in hot weather.

So I ran the car hard in hot weather on a collection of back roads without touching the Sport button. Initially, it was running hot (220+° coolant/230° oil) as it always does, but after a while of hard running, the coolant was under 200 and the oil was at 210°.

So I am convinced this is more than internet lore...
Old 07-28-2017, 04:46 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

It's the map controlled thermostat. The T-stat has a heating element which then follows a map depending on mode and other parameters.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:17 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

you can't heel toe better than the auto blip- Why bother trying? My experience any way, Blew my mind, I could have avoided a bone spur if earlier in my life. Your car your fun turn it off. My DE rule- keep it on

Last edited by Gofishracing; 07-28-2017 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:57 AM
GT4Tony
Racer

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
you can't heel toe better than the auto blip- Why bother trying? My experience any way, Blew my mind, I could have avoided a bone spur if earlier in my life. Your car your fun turn it off. My DE rule- keep it on
I'm in the same boat. I don't bother doing it myself anymore. Had an instructor (he asked for a ride along) tell me at my last event that he wouldn't sign me off / recommend me for instructing unless I could show proficiency at heel toe. I use to instruct many years ago, I didn't even acknowledge his comment. I find it ridiculous. What if I was in a 991 GT3 or an RS. You're not going to sign me off because I use paddles? Stupid.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:31 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 985 Likes on 511 Posts

You're not going to sign me off because I use paddles? Stupid.
No, it was because you hit three cars on the way to the false grid.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:34 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I remember that post when it was made. The comment was:

There are completely
different cam maps, ignition maps etc for sport mode compared to without.
Followed by:

When I get a chance I'll take some pics of the non sport and sport maps to share. They're definitely different...
Unfortunately, they never did come back (lets be honest, they didnt come back on a lot of the open questions raised, but thats another topic).

We verified the additional cooling link to the sport button through a review of the Porsche internal technical manual (its posted up here somewhere on the site). This manual did not state anything about ECU map differences.

I'm open to the idea that the maps are different, but as I cannot detect any noticeable difference when driving, would want to see some solid evidence before being convinced.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:25 AM
GT4Tony
Racer

Originally Posted by Alan C.
No, it was because you hit three cars on the way to the false grid.
Mistaken me with someone else. Funny though
Old 08-01-2017, 01:22 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,456 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
I remember that post when it was made. The comment was:

Followed by:

Unfortunately, they never did come back (lets be honest, they didnt come back on a lot of the open questions raised, but thats another topic).

We verified the additional cooling link to the sport button through a review of the Porsche internal technical manual (its posted up here somewhere on the site). This manual did not state anything about ECU map differences.

I'm open to the idea that the maps are different, but as I cannot detect any noticeable difference when driving, would want to see some solid evidence before being convinced.

During my recent tuning with BGB that question came along as I did noticed some differences between Sport and Non-Sport mode testing a couple of ProTunes. According to BGB it does alter some of the maps but not sure which ones (cam, timing, fuel???)

Quick Reply: GT4 Sport Mode