Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT4 Sport Mode

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 01:25 AM
IMOA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably emissions/gas mileage would be an impact. I think it could be argued technically that it has an impact on engine health but that would be within other tolerences so practically no impact or they would limit the use or actually taken the time to remove the link from the sport button. mainly just wanted to say that cooler is not necessarily better.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:16 AM
Joegnsx
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I suspect fuel economy is better at higher temp. My logic was that I'd sacrifice some economy to keep things a bit cooler? You seem to suggest that's bad logic and cooler is not better and maybe bad? On my wife's GT4 it's about 20-25 degrees--runs 215 in normal mode--seems high no?
Old 07-23-2016, 07:39 AM
Alpha.GT4
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by IMOA
No, it's not, if you're just driving around town then it's better to run at the temperature with Sport off because thats the temperature the engine is designed to run at. If it was better to run the car at the lower temperature when driving around town then thats what it would run at.

Turning it on just forces the thermostat open earlier because it thinks that you're going to start driving the car hard, start actually driving the car hard and the car will do the exact same thing. This is why calling it 'additional cooling' is absolutely wrong, what it's best described as is 'running the engine outside the optimum temperature range for no good reason'.
Then what's the point of this "sport mode" cooling thing?
Old 07-23-2016, 12:29 PM
IMOA
Instructor

Originally Posted by Joegnsx
I suspect fuel economy is better at higher temp. My logic was that I'd sacrifice some economy to keep things a bit cooler? You seem to suggest that's bad logic and cooler is not better and maybe bad? On my wife's GT4 it's about 20-25 degrees--runs 215 in normal mode--seems high no?
I would bet that it is exactly where the engineers want it given the tolerances, expansion of components and oil viscosity. If it wasn't they would change the thermostat.

Originally Posted by Alpha.GT4
Then what's the point of this "sport mode" cooling thing?
Reduces the temperature gain when driving aggressively.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:15 AM
Alpha.GT4
Racer

Reduces the temperature gain when driving aggressively.
But then that contradicts with earlier discussions. No?

The car is capable of regulating the coolant flow regardless of which mode you are in.

Streer driving / non sport mode = good. Cuz car operates in proper temp

Street driving / sport mode = no good. Cuz car is too cool

Track driving / non sport mode = coolant will still flow in full capacity when needed

I'm lost ...
Old 07-24-2016, 07:53 AM
IMOA
Instructor

Not really a contradiction. By opening the thermostat at a lower temperature when driving hard you end up at the same engine temperature as when it opens at a higher temperature when driving easy. It just needs to open at a lower temp to maintain a safe temp when really leaning on it, thats what makes the design quite clever, it works both when doodling around town and leaning on it.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:48 AM
Alpha.GT4
Racer

Not really a contradiction. By opening the thermostat at a lower temperature when driving hard you end up at the same engine temperature as when it opens at a higher temperature when driving easy. It just needs to open at a lower temp to maintain a safe temp when really leaning on it, thats what makes the design quite clever, it works both when doodling around town and leaning on it.
Hmmmm. I see

It still bugs me they decided to link the rev match to the radiator temp. Oh wells
Old 07-24-2016, 09:02 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpha.GT4
Hmmmm. I see

It still bugs me they decided to link the rev match to the radiator temp. Oh wells
Agreed.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:59 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
It's interesting. I've recently watched a review on the new 718 Boxster with a manual transmission. The guy was saying that if you're in Sport Mode but disable the traction control,the car won't rev match for you anymore. Has anyone tried this scenario? I doubt it's true in GT4's case,but it's worth mentioning...
This is true in the 981 Spyder. You can defeat rev matching in Sport Plus mode by disabling traction control.

Originally Posted by rickdm
No, it will still rev match with all the nannies off in Sport.
Hmmm. Thought the GT4 would be the same as the Spyder in this regard, but apparently not.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:44 AM
haro-d
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've been having 100+F temperatures here in southwest Texas; I did noticed temperature go up to 230+, especially in stop/go traffic plus the A/C on. By selecting Sport mode I keep the temperature down (210-15) while enjoying the rev match, which I do like.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:44 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 566 Posts

I find it a contradiction that Porsche build this incredibly engaging car yet "penalizes" the driver who does not auto rev match.

Even though I love auto rev match it should be my choice and especially on track if I choose to rev match manually - I should be able to get max cooling for my engine. It baffles me that they built the car this way.

Still a great car but it was an odd decision to set it up this way.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:02 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
I find it a contradiction that Porsche build this incredibly engaging car yet "penalizes" the driver who does not auto rev match.

Even though I love auto rev match it should be my choice and especially on track if I choose to rev match manually - I should be able to get max cooling for my engine. It baffles me that they built the car this way.

Still a great car but it was an odd decision to set it up this way.
In fact the penalty is more the other way.

If you refer back to the following thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9356...really-do.html

One Rennlister found in the technical manual that the enhanced cooling mode is activated either whenever the sport mode button is activated or when the car detects "sporty driving". Sporty driving is not really defined, but its safe to assume that if you start pushing the car, this enhanced cooling mode will kick in. So no need to activate the sport button if you don't want it to rev match.

So the penalty is more for people who like the rev matching for street driving, but don't want the car running at lower temps (over the long term could have quite an effect on efficiency). There is no way to set this configuration.

Ultimately I agree with your statement, however, they should not have linked the two functions.

Before anyone jumps in, it is absolutely the case that you can enjoy the car throttle blipping whilst not pushing the car (eg I want to select 1st around a slow corner without double declutching).
Old 07-19-2017, 07:51 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by rickdm
No, it will still rev match with all the nannies off in Sport.
when I shut the PSM off on the 981 Spyder, auto rev match was turned off as well.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:20 PM
VLJ
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Would explain why I get such ****ty gas mileage, sport mode button is depressed the moment I turn my car on.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:41 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

MPGs, hadn't thought of that aspect in a GT4...
Originally Posted by VLJ
Would explain why I get such ****ty gas mileage, sport mode button is depressed the moment I turn my car on.

Quick Reply: GT4 Sport Mode