Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

How to remove the overrev popping/burbling ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 11:50 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts
Default How to remove the overrev popping/burbling ?

There is only one thing which I positively hate about my Spyder, and it's overrev burbling. It's obnoxious, and fake. Turbo cars had this, modern fuel injected NA cars have no reason to burble/pop on overrev. I'm not sure how Porsche creates this, if it's by injecting some extra gas via the ecu?.. Or does t happen with the design of the PSE exhaust? I am having the fabspeed exhaust installed on Tuesday and keeping fingers crossed that by removed the PSE that hopefully that stupid sound goes away. If that doesn't fix it, would a Cobb accessport protune fix it?.. I.e., can it be programmed out?

Am I the only who can't stand that fake crap?
Old 05-08-2016, 12:45 AM
user1029
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 269 Posts

The fabspeed exhaust will make it even more noticeable I bet I think you can tune it out
Old 05-08-2016, 12:55 AM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't care for the fact it is fake, but that also means the engine is running cleaner/more efficient than old engines, so I can accept it. I like the fact I can just eliminate most of the popping when the exhaust button is off. Thats how I usually drive and when I want to hear the pops, I turn the exhaust button on.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:04 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't use PSE, otherwise you'd need an ECU tune, though I don't know if one that disables that "feature" exists. It's accomplished by injecting extra fuel that deliberately doesn't combust at the optimal time/location (not 100% on the details), a behavior which I bet PSE increases in addition to controlling the extra valve. Believe it or not, the GT4's burbles and pops are actually toned down compared to the regular 981 PSE. I rode in a GTS and I thought it sounded downright comical when lifting off throttle at low speeds.

I thought the Fabspeed exhaust responded to the PSE button though?
Old 05-08-2016, 01:18 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Hmm. I can understand the sentiment on the Cayman gts. That sounded really forced and artificial. The GT4 sounds very natural to me. Maybe the spyder is different?
Old 05-08-2016, 01:47 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Hmm. I can understand the sentiment on the Cayman gts. That sounded really forced and artificial. The GT4 sounds very natural to me. Maybe the spyder is different?
No, I should mention that it's more noticeable to me after I installed the sport headers, the pops/cracks are very loud now, and having the roof down definitely amplifies it, and driving in the city is when it's bad because each time I lift off the throttle even slightly it starts all over again.. So you can go down a single block and have it happen 4-5 times,

Last edited by CAlexio; 05-08-2016 at 02:11 AM.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:49 AM
user1029
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
No, I should mention that it's more noticeable to me after I installed the sport headers, the pops/cracks are very loud now, and having the roof down definitely amplifies it, and driving in the city is when it's bad because each time I life off the throttle even slightly it starts all over again.. So you can go down the block and have it happen 4-5 times,
that's exactly what I want
Old 05-08-2016, 01:51 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Nah. Spyder sounds awesome. Can't imagine not loving the sound it makes. The only negative is if you drive with PSE off, you get a buzzy resonance on decel that's very annoying. I only learned that after forgetting to hit the sport button after a brief roadside stop.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:22 AM
GAZZ
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

The burbles are max around 3000RPM on lift off. The burble time lasts about 3 seconds then stops. If you touch the gas the 3 sec time will start again.
If you dont fully lift off, the burbles wont happen as much.
The burbles are much more pronounched when the engine is cold.

So if you figure out how to remove them...then I will do the opposite!

Some burble flames would be nice too.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:50 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,205 Likes on 2,716 Posts

I'd invite anyone to correct me here, but I've always understood burbling as a part of a free flowing exhaust system - cutting off throttle abruptly will cause a sudden reduction in exhaust volume, which will subsequently burble as it equilibrates in the large volume exhaust system. Some ECUs will do a deceleration fuel cut off, which supposedly leans out by design and could causing popping.

I suppose this burbling could be reduced by using valves in the lower RPM ranges - not sure if your new exhaust has valves, but the burbling could get more pronounced if it's more open than the standard PSE.

But I don't believe the GT4 and Spyder do this artificially (though I'm pretty sure the GTS accentuates this somehow).
Old 05-08-2016, 10:52 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

No, I should mention that it's more noticeable to me after I installed the sport headers, the pops/cracks are very loud now, and having the roof down definitely amplifies it, and driving in the city is when it's bad because each time I lift off the throttle even slightly it starts all over again.. So you can go down a single block and have it happen 4-5 times,
From my understanding the Sport headers will do this. It will take everything one notch up and in the Spyder it could be a tad to much for some one.

I do not believe the GT4/Spyder have anything artificial going on
Old 05-08-2016, 11:06 AM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,089 Likes on 572 Posts

There is only one thing which I positively hate about my Spyder, and it's overrev burbling. It's obnoxious, and fake. Turbo cars had this, modern fuel injected NA cars have no reason to burble/pop on overrev. I'm not sure how Porsche creates this, if it's by injecting some extra gas via the ecu?.. Or does t happen with the design of the PSE exhaust? I am having the fabspeed exhaust installed on Tuesday and keeping fingers crossed that by removed the PSE that hopefully that stupid sound goes away. If that doesn't fix it, would a Cobb accessport protune fix it?.. I.e., can it be programmed out?

Am I the only who can't stand that fake crap?
Funny, I drove a 981 GTS MT at the dealer the other day and I thought it was way over done. MY 4 seemed a lot quieter and less contrived . Carl
Old 05-08-2016, 11:18 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
From my understanding the Sport headers will do this. It will take everything one notch up and in the Spyder it could be a tad to much for some one.

I do not believe the GT4/Spyder have anything artificial going on
The burbling is louder now with sport headers, but it was exactly the same pattern and frequency beforehand.. Just less prominent. If it wasn't programmed in somehow, then I think I would almost be ok with it. The problem (to me) is that you have an extremely predictable, identical sequence each time. Yes by leaving the PSE button off, this is reduced, which is what I do. Each time I turn the car on I press sport plus (because I enjoy the rev matching) and then click the PSE off as it turns on automatically with sport plus.

I would enjoy however having the full exhaust sound capability as it sounds fantastic, just without the cracks.

I realize we are getting into opinions here of whether the pops and cracks are desirable or not,and that's fun to discuss for sure, but I need to figure out if there is a way to remove this effect so when I'm decelerating, there is just a nice smooth exhaust sound uninterrupted by movie-effect explosions.

As a reference, I was just in a 458 Ferrari on Friday, which was beautifully loud but smooth and free of pops/crackles, so clearly this is an artificial engineered in effect by Porsche.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:25 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

^ Like I said, this is ECU tune territory, so your best bet is to contact the vendors who make tunes for the 9A1 engine and ideally the GT4/Spyder in particular.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:56 AM
GAZZ
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

^ Correct its all done by the ECU.
Point is, no tuner is offering to increase the burbles (which many would like), let alone reduce the burbles (not popular).

Quick Reply: How to remove the overrev popping/burbling ?