Sponsored by: APR

First Salvage Title GT4

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 06:32 PM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I'm pretty sure this is the car, I can't find the original thread (deleted??) but I think he hit driver side, I think he hit the inner wall, not outer... going off memory here.

Maybe show up as a vivid car. Part it together for 10k in parts/labor, list it for 80k salvage. i bet it sells.
My guess is similar to yours. Damage looks very close to what I recall seeing.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:39 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've noted it in the database.

The car was purchased with LWB's, however if it is the Auto Club speedway car I think the LWB's had been swapped for 18 ways.

I don't know for sure if this is that same car, but it was a white one.

Edit: duh, I can see the 18 ways in the picture, and since the original build had LWB's this is almost certainly the car I am talking about.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:58 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,508 Likes on 2,828 Posts

Originally Posted by gmaki

The car was purchased with LWB's, however if it is the Auto Club speedway car I think the LWB's had been swapped for 18 ways.

Edit: duh, I can see the 18 ways in the picture, and since the original build had LWB's this is almost certainly the car I am talking about.
Poor car. First it gets castrated. Now this.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:00 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

At least I "saved" the LWB's and they will happily live on in memory of the donor car in mine...

More seriously, I still feel super bad for the original owner. I met him and he seemed like a super guy. It must suck so bad having this happen. I cringe even thinking about wrecking my car and not being able to easily replace it...:-(
Old 03-23-2016, 03:24 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Isn't that the GT4 that went hot into Turn 1-2 at AAA Speedway and rotated and hit the wall?

Looks like the same car, BH Porsche plates...
I think your correct which would make me an idiot, because I thought from the picture I saw ( albeit just a front shot) that it could be fixed
Very sad to say the least
Old 03-23-2016, 07:12 AM
sandy59
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't think these new Porsches are very easy to repair properly either, how would you ever know if it had been done properly ??

Old 03-23-2016, 08:31 AM
908/3fan
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by blizzard24
It's hard to say, I was involved in an accident last year in my Cayman S and the air bag didn't go off. However, the front driver strut punctured through the frame. My insurance deemed it "structurally totaled".

At least no one got injured...

How did that happen?
Old 03-23-2016, 09:42 AM
C-gt3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man that really sucks.... can this be repaired properly, even for a track rat car or is it reduced to a spare parts car?
Old 03-23-2016, 01:02 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

The repair bill on that GT4 is going to be way more than it's worth. Anyone who paid $65k for that car is nuts. Brought back to like new condition, that car used with a salvage title would be barely worth that. And that cost to fix that thing, if it can even be fixed perfectly, is going to be huge.

There's probably $15-20k in parts and paint just in the visible damage, before you even consider suspension repairs, straightening the car, etc. Even for a body shop doing it at cost, there's gotta be at least $30k in repairs in that car, assuming there's not some catastrophic damage hidden.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:09 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
The repair bill on that GT4 is going to be way more than it's worth. Anyone who paid $65k for that car is nuts. Brought back to like new condition, that car used with a salvage title would be barely worth that. And that cost to fix that thing, if it can even be fixed perfectly, is going to be huge.

There's probably $15-20k in parts and paint just in the visible damage, before you even consider suspension repairs, straightening the car, etc. Even for a body shop doing it at cost, there's gotta be at least $30k in repairs in that car, assuming there's not some catastrophic damage hidden.
My thoughts exactly. Someone saw what these are selling for and got excited without really knowing what it would cost to fix I'll wager.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:28 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

What could you get by parting it out though? If the engine is reusable that is a good chunk. Seats, and other interior parts.

Wing and scoops can go to someone upgrading to "GT4 look".

I guess the key is what you could get for an engine.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:42 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

What could you get by parting it out though? If the engine is reusable that is a good chunk. Seats, and other interior parts.

Wing and scoops can go to someone upgrading to "GT4 look".

I guess the key is what you could get for an engine.
Just trying to learn something here, but depending on the force of the impact, wouldn't that cause any damage to a running engine with all the moving parts going full steam at the time of impact?

Maybe not given how most accidents occur in moving cars and they are repaired all the time with no residual engine issues.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:49 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,119 Posts

Not really. This car will not be repaired to the level of quality of a non-salvage car.

Old 03-23-2016, 02:49 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PistolPete
Just trying to learn something here, but depending on the force of the impact, wouldn't that cause any damage to a running engine with all the moving parts going full steam at the time of impact?

Maybe not given how most accidents occur in moving cars and they are repaired all the time with no residual engine issues.
Yeah I wouldn't think so. I think the danger to the engine is being cracked or having a mount break off or something. But I think you'd need a much harder impact for that.

Of course some bolt on accessories could break as well but it looks to me like this one was pretty much unscathed.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:46 PM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

That car will not be repaired. It will be stripped of every single nut, bolt and gasket for parts.

Whoever purchased it should know what they're doing. Parts alone are worth more than what the car was purchased for.

Quick Reply: First Salvage Title GT4