New 981 Spyder and GT4 owner -- some initial comparisons

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 10:41 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts
Default New 981 Spyder and GT4 owner -- some initial comparisons

I placed an order for a GT4 last year and was eagerly awaiting delivery sometime in mid-March. Late last month, I showed my wife a 981 Spyder that was in our dealer’s showroom and she really like the spec build. I decided to postpone my future retirement by a year or two and get the Spyder, too.

So, I put about 500 miles on the Spyder by the time the GT4 came in last Wednesday. We took the GT4 directly from the dealer to have Xpel put on. Yesterday, we drove the Spyder over to the Xpel dealer, left it there for him to do another Xpel install, and were finally able to drive the GT4 home.

I’ve put about 150 miles on the GT4 between yesterday and today, and I thought I would put some initial comparison thoughts down in writing.

Looks
Well, both cars look great. What more can you say?

Interior
While I really like the contrasting red stitching with black full leather in the Spyder, I’m glad I didn’t get any leather/alcantara other than what was stock in the GT4. I found myself being super careful not to scrape fingernails or my watch or a coat zipper against the interior of the Spyder. It’s nice not to have to worry about stuff like this with the GT4.

It’s ironic that the Spyder has Sport Chrono but the GT4 doesn’t. Oh well.

Seats
The LWBs are nice in the GT4, but I don’t think I would appreciate them on long trips. For track days, they’ll be nice. I’ve already added a bit of foam behind the bottom of the seat back pad and that helps me be a bit more comfortable.

The two way seats are perfect for in the Spyder. I am very glad it doesn’t have LWBs.

Visibility
Wow, I can actually check my blind spot in the GT4. Can’t do that in the Spyder. And, while the backup camera is a necessity in the Spyder, I don’t miss it in the GT4.

Engine Sound
Wow, I’ve got to say that the Spyder wins here, hands down. With the top up, you hear the exhaust so clearly since the top is thin. With the top down, it’s even better. It really is awesome. I have zero interest in headers or any aftermarket exhaust for the Spyder. It’s a beautiful tone and perfect volume – easily controlled with the PSE button.

The GT4 exhaust, by comparison, is more muted since the coupe structure has more sound insulation. I also feel that there is a bit too much “air cooled” whine and whirring. It reminds me of the motor sound package in my old 993 C2S – however, I would be more happy with more exhaust sound and less of this “air cooled” sound. I’m considering headers on this car so that I can hear the engine more. Again, the Spyder is an amazing benchmark and the GT4 just doesn’t quite match up in this category.

Gearbox
When we got the Spyder I was astounded at how good the gearbox was, but after two days in the GT4, I’m convinced the GT4 gearbox is a little bit better.

I’m 99% sure that both cars have the same gearbox and shift lever, cables, etc. The throws seem to be the same length. The GT4 box seems a tad bit tighter. It’s not that the Spyder has any slop, it’s just that the GT4 seems like it has zero play whatsoever. I find the GT4 gearbox encouraging me to upshift and downshift super quick. The GT4 Sport mode even makes it seem like I’m a superhero heel-and-toe downshifter. Maybe Motorsports actually breathed on the GT4 shifters a bit?

Brakes
The Spyder has the standard (iron) brakes. The GT4 has PCCBs. Both are good but wow, those PCCBs definitely have quick initial and amazingly progressive bite. I wasn’t sure if my “check the PCCB box” decision would be a good one or not, but I’m glad I went with them on the GT4.

Engine
Both engines feel basically the same (I guess they should, they are the same engine). I will say that the sharper exhaust note on the Spyder when accelerating, with louder pops/burbles on deceleration, makes the Spyder engine feel more alive. I don’t think this is actually the reality, though. We’ll see what the both feel like when I can really open them up. I’m limiting the Spyder to 5k at this point and the GT4 is only seeing 4k for now. This break-in period really sucks.

Steering
I will need to reserve final judgement on this until a later date when I can drive the cars back-to-back on the same roads and/or track. However, I will say that the Spyder’s steering feels a bit (maybe 5%) lighter – almost a bit more playful on curvy back roads at 7/10’s. The GT4’s steering seems a little bit heavier, but every bit as precise, maybe even a bit more. Some of this might be tire related (P Zeros on the Spyder and Cup 2s on the GT4). But, given that the GT4 has the GT3 front end, I would expect differences. I suspect the differences will be more apparent at higher speeds – probably more so on the track.

Suspension (added this section a day later
I went from a 987.2 Cayman S (bone stock, standard non-PASM suspension) to the Spyder last month. My comparison between these two vehicles is here (https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...pressions.html) but the summary is that I was amazed at how tight the Spyder suspension felt compared to the 987.2. Even though the Spyder suspension is firmer than the 987.2, it is much more controlled and has less harshness.

The GT4 PASM suspension in normal mode is a bit firmer than the Spyder, yet still without any harshness. I definitely slow down a bit more in the GT4 for a railroad track crossing near my house. But, for normal driving, I think the GT4 suspension is fine.

Well, that’s it for now. I should have the Spyder back this weekend so I’ll be doing some true back-to-back driving.

Any questions, just let me know...

Last edited by johnsopa; 03-22-2016 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Added the suspension section.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:50 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ok, I just realized that I didn't upload any pics. So, before anyone does this...

Spyder in the showroom last month:

Only pic I have of the Spyder interior so far:

Couple of GT4 pics:

Old 03-21-2016, 11:06 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Both great looking! Congrats!
Old 03-21-2016, 11:10 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 174 Posts

Congrats. I like the yellow paint on the side GT4 logos--nice match with the PCCBs.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:13 PM
Knolow
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice
Old 03-21-2016, 11:28 PM
Evo X
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 80 Posts

Wow, both cars look amazing!

Thanks for sharing the insight. Would love to be in your shoes right now.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:33 PM
user1029
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 269 Posts

that GT3 front suspension though
Old 03-21-2016, 11:41 PM
TONY AIR C2S
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

congrats, life is good
Old 03-21-2016, 11:52 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Great review and looking to hear more when you get more wheel time.

What did you use for the yellow GT4? Is that paint ect??
Old 03-22-2016, 12:05 AM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I've had some seat time in the 981 Spyder as well and completely agree with your findings so far.

Where in PA are you? Know any good driving roads? I can bring a crowd of GT4's and Spyders out for a visit!
Old 03-22-2016, 12:24 AM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats! your review mirrors mine

Good to know that I was not off in my assessment of the shifters. The GT4's shifter feels a bit more snug than the Spyder's.

The Spyder's steering is lighter but I think by more than 10%. Possibly even 20%.

I have steel rotors for both cars but the GT4 has slightly more direct and firmer feel, though the Spyder's feel more grabby.

My seats are the opposite from yours - Spyder with the cool looking LWBs - more visible in a convertible. The GT4 is more of a cruiser and gets the 2-way sofas.

Do you find the GT4 ride smoother than the Spyder given the PASM on the GT4?
Old 03-22-2016, 02:26 AM
n3rd
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

That looks like AutoHaus. I'm in Hershey and got my SBM GT4 from them. (Dean was great)
Old 03-22-2016, 03:58 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Best photos of a Spyder that I have seen! Looks great in these photos.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:16 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Consider maybe getting the scoops on your Spyder... Really completes it
Attached Images    
Old 03-22-2016, 10:51 AM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
What did you use for the yellow GT4? Is that paint ect??
Yes, Bill created a template for the GT4 logo and then plotted/cut the yellow text and placed the vinyl into the inset.

Quick Reply: New 981 Spyder and GT4 owner -- some initial comparisons