Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went from 987.2 Cayman S to a 981 Spyder -- first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 12:15 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Went from 987.2 Cayman S to a 981 Spyder -- first impressions

My wife and I were lucky enough to get a GT4 allocation last summer. That car is built and on the boat now.

We had a 987.2 Cayman S that we picked up used in early 2015. Great car and we were planning to keep it even after we got the GT4.

So, late last year, I went out for a drive with our client advisor in a Boxster S. I liked it but hadn't had a convertible since having a used Alfa Spider 1750 in college. I was surprised how rigid the car was but since we had the GT4 on order I really didn't think much more about it.

A couple weeks ago, I got an email that a Boxster Spyder was sitting in the showroom so we went to take a look at it. My wife really like the Agate Grey and the way the car was spec'd out, so I started thinking about trading the Cayman S for the Spyder.

Long story short, on Monday this week, I took the Cayman S over for them to appraise and we made a good deal on the Spyder. The roads happened to be nice and dry and salt free (amazingly for a February in PA) so I drove the Spyder home.

First impressions (from the short 45 mile drive home) follow:
  1. Wow, I don't miss the Cayman at all. It was a great car, very tight and precise, but honestly, I'm very impressed with how rigid the Boxster Spyder chassis is.
  2. How can this low Spyder have such decent ride quality? The Cayman had the standard suspension but it definitely felt harsher. The Spyder might be firmer but is less harsh. Amazing.
  3. Oh, the exhaust sound... Need I say more?
  4. I'm pleasantly surprised that the Spyder road noise with the top up is no worse than the Cayman S.
  5. I'm also pleasantly surprised that the wind noise is negligible with the top up. In fact, at up to 80 mph, there's little to no wind noise coming from the top to windshield frame seals, nor from the windows, nor from the top itself. There is a small bit of wind noise that I can pick up from over my shoulder -- I suspect this is from the angled fabric piece that you connect to the body on each side.
  6. Did I mention the exhaust sound?
  7. Shifter is great. Much more "snickety" than the stock shifter in the 987.2.
  8. Bose sound system is pretty good.
  9. The geometry between the PCM screen and the rear plastic windshield is such that you see the PCM reflection when you look in the rear view mirror at night. This is the ONLY thing I'm not happy with so far.
  10. Heated seats are nice when it's cold out and you have a non-insulated top.
  11. I wish the car had a heated steering wheel. We have this on my wife's daily driver and much as I hate to admit it, I do use it when it's cold. I think it would be awesome in a convertible.
  12. It's so nice to have oil temp again, even though it is a digital gauge.
  13. Did I mention how awesome the exhaust is?

Anyway, hoping to drive the Spyder some more this weekend when everything dries out. We got a ton of rain yesterday and any cinders and the like that remained from the last snow storm are all washed away.

The following users liked this post:
hsattley (09-16-2020)
Old 02-25-2016, 12:28 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 365 Posts

Nice write up. I find it surprising that a Cayman S would be as noisy as the top up Spyder as it seems a bit noisy to me. Hey if you get a chance weigh in on the exhaust sound. :-)

I forgive my young SA friend for his support of BS (Bernie Sanders), because he is a Porsche enthusiast and sold me the best car I've ever owned!
Old 02-25-2016, 12:47 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So.. how's the exhaust sound?
I've been playing YouTube videos to listen to to that rumble while I wait!
Great write up, thanks for sharing!
Old 02-25-2016, 01:09 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 473 Likes on 321 Posts

Oh well, he who hesitates loses. I saw that Spyder a couple of weeks ago and seriously toyed with the idea of trading my CGTS for it. Hey, good for you though! Oh yea, love that exhaust sound.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:27 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Congratulations, johnsopa! Great first impressions. Great move on picking up the Spyder.

I suspect the top might be insulated. At least, it might be more than just thin fabric. It does feel substantial. It seems to subdue exhaust, wind and road noises (though I yet to experience it myself). It's probably a good thing; will make it comfortable in low temperature. Only limitation would then come down to tires.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:06 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 157 Posts

I do wish the car was a lighter color like white or silver -- I think lighter colors show the lines, especially the "speed fairings" (or whatever they're called) a bit better.

However, since the wife liked the Agate, I was not going to complain.

"Of course, dear, that Agate is perfect."

BTW, did I mention how great the exhaust sound is? ha ha
Old 02-25-2016, 02:17 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

i agree that the single most notable and noticeable advancement from the 987 gen to 981 gen cars is the chassis/suspension. the 981 is eons more evolved... all the benefits (smoothness, compliance, grip, body control) with no apparent downside.

if u think about it it makes sense... the 987 chassis is actually a 986 which first appeared in 1999... the 981 appeared in 2013 - so that is 14-years later in terms of engineering and technical advancement...

...so it SHOULD be a giant leap forward... in most car companies that is TWO product generations.

to me the 987 package is still unique and wonderful... it is shrink-wrapped over the driver and you are very much one with the car. the 981 is definitely a notch big and wider and the sills are higher too... great cockpit feel but to me the connectivity is definitely lessened a touch... of course when you are in a 981 hauling *** and eating up the curves there is absolutely nothing to complain about!
Old 02-25-2016, 02:33 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 365 Posts

I have the best of both worlds and I'll have them both at Sebring this weekend. Boxzilla, the 986, for track runs, and the Spyder for skid pad. Should be fun as the weather is going to be awesome.

I did take the Spyder for a few track sessions last event. It wins in braking (barely-modded brakes in 986) and acceleration (greatly), but Boxzilla takes the prize in the twisties and safety department, with modified suspension and R compound tires.
Attached Images  
Old 02-25-2016, 02:46 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,880 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Love it in that color and those wheels. And I prefer the dark colors on the 981s, as it accentuates the primary lines of the car and mutes the minor angles and creases. Makes the car look more pure and mean IMO. Then again, I haven't seen a color that didn't look great on the Spyder or the GT4.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:42 PM
blue44
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Love it in that color and those wheels.
+1 smashing car...

Donn
Old 02-25-2016, 08:03 PM
masti99
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

Nice trade, enjoy in good health and exhaust?!?!
Old 02-26-2016, 11:58 AM
lcrain
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 40 Posts

Congrats!!

Which dealer purchased your Cayman? If you wouldn't mind telling me what they paid that would be awesome (through PM of course), if not, no big deal. Passively looking for a 987.2 S.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:18 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by johnsopa
[*]I'm also pleasantly surprised that the wind noise is negligible with the top up. In fact, at up to 80 mph, there's little to no wind noise coming from the top to windshield frame seals, nor from the windows, nor from the top itself. There is a small bit of wind noise that I can pick up from over my shoulder -- I suspect this is from the angled fabric piece that you connect to the body on each side.
I think that's a little bit exaggerated. I never owned an open top car in my life (I did own a Cayman some years ago) and the first thing I noticed when driving the Spyder with the top closed was that it sounded as if some didn't properly close a door or a window, behind me. And once you hit xxx mph the difference is huge.

Can't compare to a normal Boxster top though, as I never drove a Boxster.

Quick Reply: Went from 987.2 Cayman S to a 981 Spyder -- first impressions