Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Cobb Tuning- Clarification and Updates!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 01:08 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 185 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Knolow
Your openness is appreciated. In business putting things out in the open, I believe sells more than marketing schemes. With that said when is the group buy.
Just realized I had covered the group buy topic/request in the thread in the 991 section and hadn't here yet, sorry about that! Unfortunately, I can do a lot of things and COBB in general hates the word "No" but when it comes to Group Buys, that's something we just don't participate in. We have a super strict MAP policy for our dealers to adhere to so turning around and offering a Group Buy ends up really chafing some relationships. We rarely even have sales/discounts in general (usually two a year, one for Black Friday and one for tax season) but what I can offer you is a small RennList forum member discount code. Just shoot me an email to jared.bronson@cobbtuning.com with your name, vehicle, and Rennlist forum name and I'll get you setup.

Originally Posted by myBailey07
I recently removed my stage 1 install for a few days and was super surprised with the difference I could feel in the car's responsiveness and "kick" without it. It was immediately very apparent. When I first installed it I thought I could feel something, but was afraid to just jump to conclusions due to potential for placebo effect. Once I put it back on the car, it was right back to where it needs to be - much smoother, more responsive and better pull. With stage 1 it is not earth shattering, of course, yet very noticeable. It's funny how you sometimes notice something better once it is gone rather than when you get it.

I can only imagine the difference it would be with headers, air filters and a proper tune. I just cannot justify the cost per hp for doing that.

Overall I am super happy with the stage 1 for the $'s paid and the convenience that the Accessport offers you.

What I like MOST by far is that when my buddies askme how much hp the car has I can now in good conscience answer "400!" and not feel guilty about it. 400 sounds so much better than 385...lol
Awesome! Thanks for the review and that's pretty much my feeling for all of our Stage 1 tunes across the Porsche NA vehicles we support. I drove my good friend's 997.2 GT3 extensively with our Stage 1 tune and can echo your sentiments 100%. It's most noticeable when removed, the driveability-which I never thought was "bad" before but especially first gear from a dead stop take up is sooo much better- is much improved, and you can really feel the smoothed out tq curve and hp when revving the car out. Earth shattering power gains it's not, and never will be with an NA car, but worth every penny? Absolutely!

Originally Posted by Vintage72
Jared, when I pick up my GT4 on April 1ish and quickly put 1k miles on it, I am coming to see you in Austin for a Stage 1.
Sounds like a perfect plan to me. We're here M-F 9am-6pm CST and happy to wheel out a battery charger and do the install for you here and give you a demo!

~Jared

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM | GRANT | HJ | ANDREW | JARED
COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE |CONTACT US

Old 03-22-2016, 01:28 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Spending the $ on headers will make this tune that much more impressive.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:23 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

Noob question - Is "Stage 1" tune for stock hardware or does it in anyway correspond to BGB's "Stage 1" hardware add ons?
The following users liked this post:
Diamond Dave (06-14-2021)
Old 03-22-2016, 03:43 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Noob question - Is "Stage 1" tune for stock hardware or does it in anyway correspond to BGB's "Stage 1" hardware add ons?
Bone stock car
Old 03-22-2016, 04:32 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by myBailey07
Bone stock car
Thanks.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:36 PM
QShip
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Does this tune make the throttle more aggressive at all? I know some like that, but I don't like how it makes steering with the throttle more difficult.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:53 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by QShip
Does this tune make the throttle more aggressive at all? I know some like that, but I don't like how it makes steering with the throttle more difficult.
It does not change the actual throttle response rate as some tunes on other cars do, so I am pretty sure the answer is no. That said, the car generally feels more responsive at the lower rev ranges as that is the area where it beefs up the tq and hp % wise the most. I have not felt it interfering with throttle steering at all.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:48 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
We have a super strict MAP policy for our dealers to adhere to so turning around and offering a Group Buy ends up really chafing some relationships.
Does it matter to a shop whether I buy the hardware from your site and pay for a tune or buy the hardware and tune both from the shop? In other words, can a shop buy hardware at a discount from your web prices so I should buy from the shop to give it the margin?
Old 03-22-2016, 09:33 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Does it matter to a shop whether I buy the hardware from your site and pay for a tune or buy the hardware and tune both from the shop? In other words, can a shop buy hardware at a discount from your web prices so I should buy from the shop to give it the margin?
We do offer wholesale pricing to our dealers and though we have a strict MAP on the Accessport itself, when combined with services (such as a ProTune) you can usually get a better price/discount on the combined pair than purchasing them separately. Plus, I'm sure your local shop/tuner would appreciate the opportunity to sell you the Accessport as well as the tune.

~Jared
Old 03-22-2016, 10:07 PM
Knolow
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
Just realized I had covered the group buy topic/request in the thread in the 991 section and hadn't here yet, sorry about that! Unfortunately, I can do a lot of things and COBB in general hates the word "No" but when it comes to Group Buys, that's something we just don't participate in. We have a super strict MAP policy for our dealers to adhere to so turning around and offering a Group Buy ends up really chafing some relationships. We rarely even have sales/discounts in general (usually two a year, one for Black Friday and one for tax season) but what I can offer you is a small RennList forum member discount code. Just shoot me an email to jared.bronson@cobbtuning.com with your name, vehicle, and Rennlist forum name and I'll get you setup.

Awesome! Thanks for the review and that's pretty much my feeling for all of our Stage 1 tunes across the Porsche NA vehicles we support. I drove my good friend's 997.2 GT3 extensively with our Stage 1 tune and can echo your sentiments 100%. It's most noticeable when removed, the driveability-which I never thought was "bad" before but especially first gear from a dead stop take up is sooo much better- is much improved, and you can really feel the smoothed out tq curve and hp when revving the car out. Earth shattering power gains it's not, and never will be with an NA car, but worth every penny? Absolutely!

Sounds like a perfect plan to me. We're here M-F 9am-6pm CST and happy to wheel out a battery charger and do the install for you here and give you a demo!

~Jared
Wow. Thank you. Consider a unit sold.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:57 PM
n3rd
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Bumping for numbers on IPD plenum, TB, and Headers. I am really thinking about selling my IPD plenum and just going X51.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:00 AM
user1029
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 269 Posts

My friend wants to know if you guys will implement a feature that allows the Accessport to reset service reminders
Old 06-25-2017, 03:55 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by user1029
My friend wants to know if you guys will implement a feature that allows the Accessport to reset service reminders
I have a friend who would like to know also.. how to turn off the oil change light, as they have changed the oil multiple times before the car decides it was time (just not at the dealer because of the butt-rape issues).
Old 06-25-2017, 08:33 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 180 Posts

Until then the Durametric may be able to do that.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:10 AM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by user1029
I have a friend that told me...

~Jared

Quick Reply: Cobb Tuning- Clarification and Updates!!!