Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Our epic GT4 projects thread (with ongoing updates)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 03:24 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

i wonder how long it will be before OEM's start offering their own wrapping services.. they are leaving so much profit on the table.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:36 PM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

CAlexio,

See JCs response to this observation earlier in post #36 of this thread...
I do wonder if eventually they create a new technology to make it easy
for them to do.

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9177...l#post13432442
Old 07-17-2016, 03:52 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
i wonder how long it will be before OEM's start offering their own wrapping services.. they are leaving so much profit on the table.

...Or the dealers get competent at detailing. It would seem that Porsche could create a program to establish standards and training and keep the profits for themselves.

I actually felt like a jerk asking my dealer, about whom I felt incredibly grateful for giving me an allocation, not to do any pre-delivery prep and leave on the transport protection.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:45 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mile2424
Amazing attention to detail and nice to see the self/team satisfaction that goes into taking such small steps to reach the perfect outcome. Well done!
Many thanks!

Originally Posted by Sven76
Hi JC

You install the clear bra around the edges, correct?

Over here in Germany, most if not all shops installing clear bra use foils which are pre cut and they stay 2mm away of all edges, which in my view gives the car a very imperfect look

Shops here are using either 3M or SunTek foils and they told me that these fools are too thick to cope with the radius which is the result of wrapping them around the edges.

Would be curious to see what you guys do differently?

Thanks
Sven
Patterns are okay but wrapping is where it's at. Possibility and capability can be 2 different things ya know?

This thread outlines exactly what we do differently. I am grateful for the kind words Sven. What's funny is when an "unnamed" German car company HQ asked me for a referral to a good PPF company in the city the euro deliveries started in. Couldn't find one to give.

Maybe one day I will fly myself out to Germany to wrap a few cars, watch some football matches in person, zip around on the ring and cruise down the autobahn on my way to thrown down a stein or two of fine German beer.

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
...Or the dealers get competent at detailing. It would seem that Porsche could create a program to establish standards and training and keep the profits for themselves.

I actually felt like a jerk asking my dealer, about whom I felt incredibly grateful for giving me an allocation, not to do any pre-delivery prep and leave on the transport protection.
Best of fortune with dealerships taking detailing and prep really seriously. Most dealerships see detailing as only 1 small step above valet boy. It isn't seen as a craft that takes years to become an expert. The poor conditions and bad treatment many detailers that work for dealerships get is horrible. Dealership detailers are not bad people and are not necessarily incompetent. Their hands are forced to do the things that are being done.

I do not mean to direct this at you HMHU. Just speaking in general as the topic came up. I agree with your sentiments.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:13 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

This one is in our sights this week. Fresh from the PEC and getting paint correction to address minor marring and factory defects like DA sanding marks and rough clear spots, a full body Xpel clear bra wrap, Modesta on the wheels and Modesta on the body. She will be ready for the long 3,000 mile haul back to Northern California when we are done in a few days! Check out our Instagram account to see some videos showing off the 35 mile old factory defects.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:07 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Heads up!

Ceramic window tinting is now available at Detailed Designs Auto Spa. After many years of our clients requesting it, we now offer in-house window tinting installed to our standard. Window edges are shaved for a factory look, dot matrix is leveled where possible for less of that ugly raised tint dot look and sloppy messes left on the interior and exterior are not to be found here.

The first GT4 that we installed it on:

Old 07-27-2016, 07:37 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs
Heads up!

Ceramic window tinting is now available at Detailed Designs Auto Spa. After many years of our clients requesting it, we now offer in-house window tinting installed to our standard. Window edges are shaved for a factory look, dot matrix is leveled where possible for less of that ugly raised tint dot look and sloppy messes left on the interior and exterior are not to be found here.

The first GT4 that we installed it on:

That's impressive over the dot matrix. I've never seen anyone do it that cleanly!
Old 07-28-2016, 09:28 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jlee504
That's impressive over the dot matrix. I've never seen anyone do it that cleanly!
This doesn't work without leveling the dot matrix. No glue is used.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:15 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 608 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs
This doesn't work without leveling the dot matrix. No glue is used.
How does one level the dot matrix? Razor blade "shaving"?
Old 07-31-2016, 02:34 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mech33
How does one level the dot matrix? Razor blade "shaving"?
It must be sanded down.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:22 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

PEC deliveries are not uncommon for the GT4 at DDAS.

Our track package clear bra protection plus Modesta wheel and caliper coating:

She caught a sprinkle as she was pulled outside to head back home to Texas...

We just wrapped up on a full paint correction, full body clear bra wrap and wheel/caliper Modesta coating on a guard's red GT4 last week.

A few of the many defects that were fixed before wrapping with clear bra:

When I have time to sort all of the pics, I will be sure to share them. Until then, check out our instagram account for more videos and pictures of the guard's red GT4 as it arrived with only 35 miles on it.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:05 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

PEC delivery No. 101 came for protection and gloss...left with our clear bra track package, Porsche decals and Modesta BC-04 on the body.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:06 PM
twentyseven
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 25 Posts

What brand of window film are you using? Fantastic install.. wish I was local
Old 10-13-2016, 10:32 PM
SJJ28
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

Just want to add to this thread, that Jean-Claude, and his team are THE BEST!!!

The level of service, attention to detail, and timely service were a combination I thought was impossible to come by.

My GT Silver GT4 (pictured above) is easily the best the condition car I've ever owned, and I used to be a professional detailer and owned my own shop. The clear bra install is flawless for a minimal part removal job, and the paint correction and modesta is just unreal. I was a coating skeptic, but am now a believer...

Jean Claude, will you PLEASE come do the rest of my cars in Chicago? Pretty please?? with Sugar on top? and a cherry?

Seriously, i want this same level of work done on my other cars!!!

if you're lucky enough to be within a few hour drive, DO IT!!!

Thanks Buddy!!

Steve
Old 10-26-2016, 12:45 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by twentyseven
What brand of window film are you using? Fantastic install.. wish I was local
Prestige Cereluxe ceramic.

Originally Posted by SJJ28
Just want to add to this thread, that Jean-Claude, and his team are THE BEST!!!

The level of service, attention to detail, and timely service were a combination I thought was impossible to come by.

My GT Silver GT4 (pictured above) is easily the best the condition car I've ever owned, and I used to be a professional detailer and owned my own shop. The clear bra install is flawless for a minimal part removal job, and the paint correction and modesta is just unreal. I was a coating skeptic, but am now a believer...

Jean Claude, will you PLEASE come do the rest of my cars in Chicago? Pretty please?? with Sugar on top? and a cherry?

Seriously, i want this same level of work done on my other cars!!!

if you're lucky enough to be within a few hour drive, DO IT!!!

Thanks Buddy!!

Steve
Thank you Steve! It was awesome chatting with you locally and I appreciate the ongoing banter via text haha!

Quick Reply: Our epic GT4 projects thread (with ongoing updates)