Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Our epic GT4 projects thread (with ongoing updates)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 02:56 PM
BerryS
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

PM sent.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:49 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

It's been months and I have finally had some time to sort the images!

This is our most epic project to date. Not all steps were documented with high rez shots but there are still plenty here to fill in some blanks and show off the vision for this project. Look back in this thread to find other pictures of this project.

This 2016 Porsche GT4 was ordered/delivered out of state and then towed to Atlanta. When it arrived, it only had the miles to go from Buckhead to our shop and the owner wrapped the front end and rockers with Trak Wrap to further protect it for the short journey.

We began by removing the trak wrap and then detailing the exterior. The body got washed, decontaminated and then we corrected the paint(and even for a new car it NEEDED this step).

The owner expressed a desire for the best of our best. So we performed our advanced full body Xpel clear bra wrap and coated the surface with Modesta. The concept was to end up with a car that was as wrapped up with clear bra as possible with the fewest possible seams exposed. After being capped off with Modesta BC-05, the surface would be more chemically resistant, as glossy as possible and easy to wash for years. With the wheels coated with Modesta, they repel dust, are well protected and easy to keep clean. With a heat resistance of over 2,000 degrees, Modesta is the best fit for wheels and calipers on the market!

I hope you enjoy the story our pictures tell!

As she arrived with trak wrap

By the way, if this stuff gets wet and dries, it is a mess to remove!

I love it when cars come to us like this!

The following was removed to minimize exposed seams:
Front and rear bumpers, headlights, side mirrors, side front markers, door handles, rocker panels and side vent, rear spoiler and uprights, license plate surround, tail lights, bumper trim and vents, door trim and rear spoiler lip.

Documenting every single nut, bolt and screw gobbled up an incredible amount of time. But in the end, it was worth it. When everything was back together, there was not a single part left over and the car fit together like new. Since leaving, the car has returned for some cleaning and window tint and there is absolutely no squeaking or creaking noises. It is just like from the factory!

Why we removed these parts? To get the kind of fit and finish that is otherwise impossible to achieve!

When broken down, these parts reveal hidden grime that can find its way into the film during an installation. We are proud to say this installation is debris-free!

The rest of the shots are with Xpel installed and wrapped or in the process of being wrapped:

We went absolutely beast-mode on the rear quarters. Completely 1-piece and seamless rear quarters that also wrapped into the door jambs!

Almost there!

Yeah, it wasn’t exactly fun haha! [unpictured] When this car came back a month later for an inspection, we had to trim back around the door latch hook. The stress of the door latch having a door ram it daily caused stressed film around the edge of the latch. Even trimmed back it looks awesome though.

Tony, our resident mechanic, is tearing down the front bumper for maximum coverage.

Going back together after the wrap

Tim wrapping up on our hardwired and stealth installed Blackvue forward and rear facing camera system. These are pretty awesome. Records while the car is on but when the ignition is off it records until the voltage reaches 11.8 and then cuts off. If the car is jarred, the G-sensor(which is adjustable in the software) senses movement and turns the camera on to capture what’s happening in front and behind the car. All of this can be viewed through a mobile device as the system has wifi connectivity. What’s more, it is cloud enabled. For additional security, you can tell the system to upload your videos to your home network once the car is in range! I have the system in my own truck and love it.

Once the wrap was completed, the GT4 was washed again, decontaminated and coated with Modesta BC-05 to give it crazy luster and gloss, ease the long term cleaning and provide additional chemical resistance to the film.

A lot of folks do not understand why a short-wave infra-red lamp would be used on a coating. Modesta requires a short-wave IR lamp to cure the base of the coating. It’s completely functional and necessary step for Modesta BC-05. It’s imitated but never duplicated!

Some final fit and finish shots

The pre-cut for the vent just wasn’t acceptable for us. All custom wrapped and hand trimmed around the “gt4”.

Aaaaand the final product:

We are very pleased with how the project came out and so were those who saw it at Atlanta's favorite car show, Caffeine and Octane!

In all, this project consumed more time, energy, emotions(it was quite demanding) and mind than anything we’ve ever done. The most important factor is not what my staff and I think though. We get our pleasure from blowing our clients away. Fortunately, this was another case of our client feeling like he made the right choice and that makes it all worthwhile for us!

We get many requests to help ones find qualified technicians to work on their cars from all over North America. If you’re hunting for an awesome Modesta installation facility, check out their locator map here: http://www.modestaeurope.eu/installers.html As you can see, Modesta has a truly worldwide network of qualified professionals to select from. If your area does not have someone listed, reach out to me and I can try to help you find someone in the industry nearby that may be a good fit for you. Many of the professionals in North America also offer quality clear bra installations and can provide you with a wonderful one-stop experience.

I am grateful for the kindness expressed to me on Rennlist and look forward to sharing more extensive projects with everyone in the near future. Up next will be an incredible 991 GT3RS project that got a similar service! Keep your eyes peeled for more from us soon!
Old 07-06-2016, 02:22 PM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Awesome! - great pics, great job. Thanks for posting.

At some point you have to wonder why Porsche or other manufacturers don't offer this right from the factory? You'd think there'd be some advantage in doing it before assembly.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:12 PM
morjo02
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Amazing post JC
Old 07-06-2016, 03:51 PM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

absolutely stunning JC!
Old 07-07-2016, 10:24 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by laranja
Awesome! - great pics, great job. Thanks for posting.

At some point you have to wonder why Porsche or other manufacturers don't offer this right from the factory? You'd think there'd be some advantage in doing it before assembly.
Thank you!

I do not see how they could realistically implement it on the factory-side. The amount of baby sitting the edges waiting for something to relax would grind the build to a halt. We have over 100 hours into this project and we are pretty efficient at what we do. Until it can be sprayed on, and, actually work and look good, clear bra will be installed by hand by specialized technicians.

Originally Posted by morjo02
Amazing post JC
Originally Posted by Shockwave
absolutely stunning JC!
Thanks guys!
Old 07-07-2016, 05:38 PM
Kdawg86
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, I can't believe I missed this thread until now! The Rhodium Silver car is mine. I now have over 5K miles with the Xpel Ultimate and Nano Coat and the car is flawless. I'm a bit OCD, but JC takes it up a level. He is an absolute perfectionist. If you live anywhere near Atlanta or are opting for PCE delivery, then you owe it to yourself to give Detailed Designs a call. Thanks again JC. Now I'm going to download all those beautiful photos!
Old 07-08-2016, 10:19 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kdawg86
Wow, I can't believe I missed this thread until now! The Rhodium Silver car is mine. I now have over 5K miles with the Xpel Ultimate and Nano Coat and the car is flawless. I'm a bit OCD, but JC takes it up a level. He is an absolute perfectionist. If you live anywhere near Atlanta or are opting for PCE delivery, then you owe it to yourself to give Detailed Designs a call. Thanks again JC. Now I'm going to download all those beautiful photos!
Thanks K! It helps having staff that are OCD too!
Old 07-08-2016, 05:50 PM
Rennlist Editor
Editor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front page news!

Figured the front page would be interested as well...
https://rennlist.com/articles/proces...clear-bra-gt4/
Old 07-10-2016, 12:12 AM
SJJ28
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 43 Posts

Looks awesome....JC, you owe me an email!!
Old 07-11-2016, 12:08 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rennlist Editor
Figured the front page would be interested as well...
https://rennlist.com/articles/proces...clear-bra-gt4/
Thank you!!

Originally Posted by SJJ28
Looks awesome....JC, you owe me an email!!

Thanks and I have responded to all my emails as of a little while ago. If you weren't in there, please resend.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:06 PM
SJJ28
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs
Thank you!! Thanks and I have responded to all my emails as of a little while ago. If you weren't in there, please resend.
I sent you my email via PM last week. Will send again!
Thanks
Old 07-11-2016, 11:39 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SJJ28
I sent you my email via PM last week. Will send again!
Thanks
WWWWWWWWooosh, totally missed calling you!
Old 07-12-2016, 04:13 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 55 Posts

Amazing attention to detail and nice to see the self/team satisfaction that goes into taking such small steps to reach the perfect outcome. Well done!
Old 07-17-2016, 01:51 PM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi JC

You install the clear bra around the edges, correct?

Over here in Germany, most if not all shops installing clear bra use foils which are pre cut and they stay 2mm away of all edges, which in my view gives the car a very imperfect look

Shops here are using either 3M or SunTek foils and they told me that these fools are too thick to cope with the radius which is the result of wrapping them around the edges.

Would be curious to see what you guys do differently?

Thanks
Sven

Quick Reply: Our epic GT4 projects thread (with ongoing updates)