Sponsored by: APR

Impressions of my GT4 with GMG Roll Bar

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 12:06 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 219 Posts
Default Impressions of my GT4 with GMG Roll Bar

I recently sold my 991 GT3 and got a yellow Cayman GT4. The GT3 was great, but I was longing for a manual again and I thought that a GT4 would complement my voodoo blue RS that is coming.

I had a GMG roll bar installed in the GT4 since I wanted minimal to no carpet/trim cutting and wanted to be able to put the seats far back if needed. I also liked the look of the GMG bar better than others. I have had GMG bars on all my track cars.

I had Park Place in Dallas install my bar and they said this install was really easy and the bar was made very well to fit into this car. I have attached some pictures below.

I have done only 1 track weekend with the car. It was at COTA. The car is definitely slower at high HP tracks like COTA than my previous GT3. It is more confidence inspiring and easier to catch than the GT3 though. The car was stock with OEM MPSC2 tires. The only "mods" were the roll bar and a more agressive alignment.

Understeer was an issue until I went full soft on front sway bar and full stiff on rear sway. My ability to rotate the car with throttle was not as good as the GT3. I did carry more speed into corners though. I just installed a smartycam for data acquisition. In addition, I put a microphone near the rear bumper from the inside and wired it up to to the roll bar to attach to my SmartyCam HD.

Steering feel is better than the 991 GT3 in my opinion and I like the smaller steering wheel. The transmission is one of the best I've driven. So crisp and enjoyable. I'm not thrilled about the auto blip function when sport button is activated. It sounds good on the street, but on the track I just heel toe on my own and have to turn sport off. The gear ratios seem long as well, but not as bad as others mention. The yellow color is amazing in person and doesn't look that great in pictures. The exhaust is great stock, but I always want something a little louder.

Overall, the car is actually a superb value. It is pretty fast for a Cayman and a thrill to drive. I look forward to more track time with it.

** i can't figure out why the pics are all sideways
Attached Images         
Old 12-20-2015, 12:20 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,563 Likes on 667 Posts

Does the harness attachment allow the zero to -20 degree angle recommended by Scroth?
Looks like it's quite high in relation to the seat pass throughs.

Nice write up. Thanks for the impressions! Congrats on a nice stable.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:22 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Assuming you'll put harnesses in right seat - how are you solving the issue of no seat base pass through or anti sub attachment bar?
Old 12-20-2015, 09:00 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Air Force

Received 163 Likes on 81 Posts

Install looks great. Question would be how hard is it to get into the engine with the bar installed.

Last edited by f4 plt; 12-22-2015 at 05:48 AM.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:29 AM
tasman
Race Car

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Beautiful car and thanks for the bar info.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:46 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 260 Posts

Looks great, that's the build I have spec'd now.

Do you still have your turbo s?

Do you miss the GT3? I guess with an RS you won't much longer!

I have one ordered not sure what cars I keep when it actually gets here.

Jeff
Old 12-20-2015, 01:39 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 116 Likes on 70 Posts

I recently sold my 991 GT3 and got a yellow Cayman GT4. The GT3 was great, but I was longing for a manual again and I thought that a GT4 would complement my voodoo blue RS that is coming.

I had a GMG roll bar installed in the GT4 since I wanted minimal to no carpet/trim cutting and wanted to be able to put the seats far back if needed. I also liked the look of the GMG bar better than others. I have had GMG bars on all my track cars.

I had Park Place in Dallas install my bar and they said this install was really easy and the bar was made very well to fit into this car. I have attached some pictures below.

I have done only 1 track weekend with the car. It was at COTA. The car is definitely slower at high HP tracks like COTA than my previous GT3. It is more confidence inspiring and easier to catch than the GT3 though. The car was stock with OEM MPSC2 tires. The only "mods" were the roll bar and a more agressive alignment.

Understeer was an issue until I went full soft on front sway bar and full stiff on rear sway. My ability to rotate the car with throttle was not as good as the GT3. I did carry more speed into corners though. I just installed a smartycam for data acquisition. In addition, I put a microphone near the rear bumper from the inside and wired it up to to the roll bar to attach to my SmartyCam HD.

Steering feel is better than the 991 GT3 in my opinion and I like the smaller steering wheel. The transmission is one of the best I've driven. So crisp and enjoyable. I'm not thrilled about the auto blip function when sport button is activated. It sounds good on the street, but on the track I just heel toe on my own and have to turn sport off. The gear ratios seem long as well, but not as bad as others mention. The yellow color is amazing in person and doesn't look that great in pictures. The exhaust is great stock, but I always want something a little louder.

Overall, the car is actually a superb value. It is pretty fast for a Cayman and a thrill to drive. I look forward to more track time with it.

** i can't figure out why the pics are all sideways

KY, thanks for the business once again, and stay tuned for our header/exhaust system, you will love the sound.

Cheers,

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 12-20-2015, 06:56 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would really love to see more photos of the GMG bar with harnesses anchored and seats installed. If you can help with that, thanks.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:48 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

In lowest seat position the bar is a little higher than the seat pass through. If you look at the design of the GT4 you will notice that the only way to get the harness bar level or lower with the seat pass through is to place the bar more forward and lower in the cabin which either cuts your trim big time and/or does not let you move the seat back.

I just installed harness on driver's side. No plans for passenger at this point.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:52 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jlee504
Looks great, that's the build I have spec'd now.

Do you still have your turbo s?

Do you miss the GT3? I guess with an RS you won't much longer!

I have one ordered not sure what cars I keep when it actually gets here.

Jeff
My turbo s is my daily driver. 18,000 miles in just over a year.

I don't miss the GT3 much at all. The GT4 is way more fun to drive and almost as fast. The PDK got a little boring. It will be nice to have the RS but the GT4 (and maybe an MX-5 cup) will be my dedicated track cars.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:06 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Sweet! Looking forward to hearing more from you and your setup
Old 12-21-2015, 03:05 PM
jakay11
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Assuming you'll put harnesses in right seat - how are you solving the issue of no seat base pass through or anti sub attachment bar?
The LWB has a passthrough for a 5 or 6pt harness for the anti sub. Look closely at the crease and jam your hand down into the crack... wait, let me rephrase that.
-Jason
Old 12-21-2015, 03:24 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jakay11
The LWB has a passthrough for a 5 or 6pt harness for the anti sub. Look closely at the crease and jam your hand down into the crack... wait, let me rephrase that.
-Jason
The passenger seat for North American cars won't have an opening so some DIY cutting on the cushion and seat base will be needed if you want symmetrical belt setups for the passenger.

Not sure why this is the case, but it is...
Old 12-21-2015, 05:17 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PistolPete
The passenger seat for North American cars won't have an opening so some DIY cutting on the cushion and seat base will be needed if you want symmetrical belt setups for the passenger.

Not sure why this is the case, but it is...
This is very unfortunate and falls into the WTF category (for me, anyway). How can Porsche offer a GT car build with track purpose and not offer a proper set up on the right seat?

A friend just got a new RS and he will be cutting through the seat himself. Seems crazy that one can spend THAT much on a car and have to take a knife to the seat to PROPERLY kit it for track.

Geez
Old 12-21-2015, 05:23 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jakay11
The LWB has a passthrough....Look closely at the crease and jam your hand down into the crack... wait, let me rephrase that.
-Jason

I'm going to be a lady (for once) and bite my tongue!

Quick Reply: Impressions of my GT4 with GMG Roll Bar