Sponsored by: APR

Creaky or Squeaky Clutch Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 07:54 PM
soupy
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Creaky or Squeaky Clutch Pedal

12/15 Update: PCNA approved complete clutch kit replacement under warranty to address faulty clutch release bearing
12/24 Update: Car repaired, clutch release lever and related components replaced, 13 hours of labor for transmission-out service

Anyone noticing some squeakiness occurring when the clutch pedal is pressed all the way in? It gets very noticeable when the car is warmed up so it seems like some metal on metal expansion is happening causing the audible squeak. You can really feel some creaking through your foot as you press into or release off of 100% push of the clutch. Car doesn't have to be on for one to hear it and the sound seems to be coming from the front of the car above or in front of the pedals, so it's likely not a premature throwout bearing failure. I tried looking under to see if something could be lubed with some chain oil or lithium grease but couldn't find the troublemaker. Car shifts perfectly fine so I gave up quick. Booked an appointment for next Saturday morning at the dealer to take a look.

My guess is one of the following:

-Clutch boost assist spring or bolt needs a decent glob of grease.
-Bad clutch pedal pivot or rod, needing the whole clutch+brake pedal assembly to be replaced.
-Bad clutch master cylinder, which would likely cause some shifting issues so likely not.

Last edited by soupy; 12-24-2015 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:28 PM
csbear
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soupy
Anyone noticing some squeakiness occurring when the clutch pedal is pressed all the way in? It gets very noticeable when the car is warmed up so it seems like some metal on metal expansion is happening causing the audible squeak. You can really feel some creaking through your foot as you press into or release off of 100% push of the clutch. Car doesn't have to be on for one to hear it and the sound seems to be coming from the front of the car above or in front of the pedals, so it's likely not a premature throwout bearing failure. I tried looking under to see if something could be lubed with some chain oil or lithium grease but couldn't find the troublemaker. Car shifts perfectly fine so I gave up quick. Booked an appointment for next Saturday morning at the dealer to take a look.

My guess is one of the following:

-Clutch boost assist spring or bolt needs a decent glob of grease.
-Bad clutch pedal pivot or rod, needing the whole clutch+brake pedal assembly to be replaced.
-Bad clutch master cylinder, which would likely cause some shifting issues so likely not.
I noticed some squeakiness as well, but have not payed too much attention recently. I will have to check again to see at what point it was occurring for me or if it still is. But yes, I did notice it some time ago.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:53 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Spent some time in the car with the radio off in stop and go traffic today. Definitely are some spring stretching sounds with the clutch that I never heard on the 987.1
Old 12-08-2015, 06:49 PM
E871M
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed a squeaky clutch for the first time this past weekend and then again last night. It seemed to only happen once the car has warmed up and during the last bit of clutch depression. Happens with the car both off and on.

The sound I heard sounded like it was coming from beneath and behind the driver's seat. It was significantly more noticeable when I was sitting with the door open in the driveway.

It hasn't really worried me, but perhaps I'll run it by the dealership and see what they think.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:57 PM
soupy
Racer

Originally Posted by E871M
The sound I heard sounded like it was coming from beneath and behind the driver's seat. It was significantly more noticeable when I was sitting with the door open in the driveway.
Initially that's what I thought, but the sound is reflecting out towards out the door that way so it tricked me at first. Once I pushed my seat back and laid down on my back under the steering column and pushed the clutch pedal by hand it became more obvious where it originated from. Of course your mileage may vary and it could be something else for you. My Cayman GTS never had this issue but then the clutch was slightly different.

In case anyone's curious, here's what the clutch and brake pedal unit looks like taken out:

The piston bit pushes on the master cylinder, but above that on the clutch hinge there's plastic tube that holds a big spring.
Old 12-12-2015, 01:34 PM
soupy
Racer

Stopped by dealer this morning. They initially greased the pedal assembly but when they were testing it, another mechanic noticed the noise coming from above the transmission. Now we're thinking it's something rubbing on the clutch slave cylinder. Unfortunately the tech that normally services GT cars only works weekdays so I'll need to do another follow-up visit Tuesday morning. The grease does help however with the creaky spring tension feel on the pedal even with the car well warmed up. More to come...
Old 12-15-2015, 07:44 PM
soupy
Racer

Well, the GT car techs took a look today and it looks like it's the worst case scenario and the problem is the throw-out bearing. Unfortunately you can't order that alone and it has to come as a complete clutch kit with this car, so after just 1000 miles I'm getting a brand new clutch on Porsche's dime. Parts are ordered from Germany and will be sent with overnight shipping. Actually more annoyed that this puts a hindrance on my holiday travel plans than needing a full transmission out service at the moment.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:21 PM
csbear
Racer

Thanks for the update Soupy. Fortunately, you are getting a complete kit replacement, so it will be better than new. So it was the throw-out bearing failing?
Old 12-15-2015, 08:26 PM
soupy
Racer

Originally Posted by csbear
Thanks for the update Soupy. Fortunately, you are getting a complete kit replacement, so it will be better than new. Might have been worse if it was a specific part since replacing the entire kit is probably easier.
Yeah, if there are silver linings to this is that these guys will be triple checking their work when it's replaced and I'm assuming Porsche will want the old parts back for analysis. Better to have this happen early than later when they can blame wear & tear and deny warranty coverage I guess .
Old 12-15-2015, 08:29 PM
csbear
Racer

Yeah, if there are silver linings to this is that these guys will be triple checking their work when it's replaced and I'm assuming Porsche will want the old parts back for analysis. Better to have this happen early than later when they can blame wear & tear and deny warranty coverage I guess .
So is this attributed to your car only, or could this be some recall issue?
Old 12-15-2015, 08:36 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts

Sorry to hear about this soupy.

It's a singular case,it happens... It's a bad throwout bearing. They will replace the whole clutch assembly as an insurance,but it's certainly not necessary.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:00 AM
soupy
Racer

Originally Posted by csbear
So is this attributed to your car only, or could this be some recall issue?
Likely just my car. Hopefully I'll get more details the next time I visit when they plan on executing the repairs. It'll be my third visit for the same issue and driving there and back in DC traffic is an utter pain in the ***. If there ends up being a fourth I'm going to pursue Lemon Law arbitration.

Last edited by soupy; 12-17-2015 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:23 PM
E871M
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang, Soupy that sucks.

I had my car in the shop today for an oil change and had them take a look at my squeaking clutch. The guy that took a look thought it could be the slave cylinder needing to be oiled. He didn't seem real confident though. He said he'd seen a similar issue with other cars caymans/911s and lubing the slave cylinder resolved the issue.

Was your squeak pretty loud Soupy? I can only here the squeak on mine when not moving, any other time there is too much other noise for me to hear it. It happens regardless of if the car is on or off, but only after it's warmed up.

I have an appointment to have it looked at by the dealership just after the new year. I'll report back what they find then.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:29 PM
csbear
Racer

Likely just my car. Hopefully I'll get more details the next time I visit when they plan on executing the repairs. It'll be my third visit for the same issue and driving there and back in DC traffic is an utter pain in the ***. If there ends up being a forth I'm going to pursue Lemon Law arbitration.
Well hopefully by replacing the entire assembly it won't come down to that. I think they will get it fixed because there is no guessing this time. It's just the entire part swapped out. So cross fingers you will be shifting gears in no time.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:07 PM
soupy
Racer

Originally Posted by E871M
Was your squeak pretty loud Soupy? I can only here the squeak on mine when not moving, any other time there is too much other noise for me to hear it. It happens regardless of if the car is on or off, but only after it's warmed up.
That basically sounds like my issue. At one point the noise got really bad that anyone with their windows down at a stop light could hear it, but it calmed down after another hundred miles of backroad runs. The worst part of it isn't really the noise but the extra friction you feel as the TOB is sliding on the shaft to operate the pressure plate. It's inconsistent and half the time it's fine but that really puts a damper on a rhythm when you're driving at a brisk pace. I'll be really curious to see what it ends up looking like when they pull it out.

Quick Reply: Creaky or Squeaky Clutch Pedal