Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^ That makes sense. You call it side stepping I call it dumping
Old 10-03-2015, 06:55 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,098 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by Ochocoronas
In the EVO video (@ 2:36) Preuninger states it has a "Torque Peak Limiter" ?? What is that?
It's a flow restrictor in the clutch line that slows down the flow and engagement if you dump the clutch. It's in the GT4 SIT .

BMW has had it for several years . Guys used to take it out for quicker shifts. Carl
Old 10-03-2015, 07:18 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 117 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rshanholtz
. Stupid question but assume the 987.2 gearbox/gears are completely different than the 981.1 box?
Theres really only 1 major difference, the cooler. Now that change has required is to rework the lsd and make a new version alimh with oil pump drive gear. That did also involve a new housing casting for the main case. But internally it is the same. My gears fit inside either.

Glad you are happy with them. Bill or Pete might want to run actual thrust forces on charts but the common comment is that gears are worth 25whp. That decreases the higher you go, but in 3rd gear that likely true.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:25 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
My understanding is that it's a valve in the clutch slave cylinder. It "softens" the engagement speed of the clutch so that side-stepping the pedal doesn't shock the driveline.
It saves the synchros at the expense of the clutch face. Maybe they did it because of the gt3 pressure plate failures.

Dog boxes engage far more aggressively than synchro boxes. The 997 sequential is one of those and has narrower gears than the Cayman gearboxes. Its not about reducing shockload on the actual gear teeth.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:25 PM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 67 Posts

The other thing to mention is that with 3rd gear now so close to 2nd gear, I have not found a need for 2nd gear on a track yet. That may change if I go back to Thompson - doubt I will though. Haven't tried Palmer yet. Neither LRP or Watkins requires 2nd. Also, with this new gearing, I have to use to 6th gear after exiting turn 4 at the Glen...hitting 147mph before braking for the bus-stop. These new gears are perfect. If I decide to start tracking the GT4 and get rid of my CR, I may have to make the same gear changes. On street driving, I find myself going from 2nd gear to 4th gear skipping 3rd.

If the gears can be used in the GT4 similar to what I have done in the CR with a similar 3.8 engine, I would highly recommend it. If anyone is around LRP, look me up for a drive or ride-along.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:24 AM
Kinesis 996
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rshanholtz
The other thing to mention is that with 3rd gear now so close to 2nd gear, I have not found a need for 2nd gear on a track yet. That may change if I go back to Thompson - doubt I will though. Haven't tried Palmer yet. Neither LRP or Watkins requires 2nd. Also, with this new gearing, I have to use to 6th gear after exiting turn 4 at the Glen...hitting 147mph before braking for the bus-stop. These new gears are perfect. If I decide to start tracking the GT4 and get rid of my CR, I may have to make the same gear changes. On street driving, I find myself going from 2nd gear to 4th gear skipping 3rd.

If the gears can be used in the GT4 similar to what I have done in the CR with a similar 3.8 engine, I would highly recommend it. If anyone is around LRP, look me up for a drive or ride-along.
Do you have any in car video, at least it provide us an idea of how short the gearing is? I think that would be great. Also looking cr btw!!
Old 10-04-2015, 12:52 AM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 67 Posts

I have the following videos but not in car. I upgraded to the HD2X system with Race-Keeper in the Spring and they are still working on a 3rd camera option...

Lime Rock Park - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFyp...ature=youtu.be

Watkins Glen (this is with a broken rear sway bar!!!) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YcS...ature=youtu.be
Old 10-04-2015, 01:39 AM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
I also agree with the above remarks about how most guys are just going to talk about this for a few years until their clutch needs replacing or their warranty goes out. Guys don't crack open a brand new gearbox. I have sold exactly 1 set of gears to a 981 racer. All other sets of Cayman gears I have sold have gone into 987 cars. The market for GT4 transmission parts won't even form for 2-3 years.
I don't agree. Having owned three 987's and now a GT4, I can say that while I never felt the need for different gearing in my 987's, I feel otherwise with my GT4. I have a highly modified 987.2 track car that I am very happy with. But my expectations are different for my GT4. The GT4 has the potential to perform at a very high level and it is being constrained by the gearing. If there was a viable option for an ideal transmission/gear package, similar to the 997 GT3 RS, I would buy it immediately.

Matt, I believe there has been a sea change with respect to the Cayman platform in recent years. The car has gained much more respect that it had in its early days. People have seen how much potential the car has once the performance is unleashed. There is more interest than ever in Caymans being used on the track or being converted to dedicated track cars. For most of us, the GT4 is a $100K+ car. For many of us, an additional $5K - $10K tranny/gearing upgrade, if it was the ideal combination, would be very compelling. Do I need to send you a deposit now to convince you?

Last edited by Beantown Kman; 10-04-2015 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:42 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
I believe there has been a sea change with respect to the Cayman platform in recent years. The car has gained much more respect that it had in its early days. People have seen how much potential the car has once the performance is unleashed.
I have suspicions that the GT4 will grow into a modern 951. After years of good but relatively budget mid engined cars with significant shortcomings for track use, Porsche has released a mid-engined platform that's more track capable than most of its rear engined siblings. It has brakes, suspension and poise, but it's held back in just one key way for its designed purpose.

This recipie, one of a very good enthusiast car that has significant potential that can clearly be unlocked, has in the past made for epic tuner cars. The GT4 is great in most ways, but it's crying out for more thrust. Gearing is the most obvious way to address this, and I suspect many will be in search of a solution. Normally making this investment makes no sense, but in the GT4's case the next "step up" is a 45k more expensive GT3 (automatic only) or an older GT3. Both have issues of their own, making the modification route interesting in a way that it normally isn't.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:41 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
I don't agree. Having owned three 987's and now a GT4, I can say that while I never felt the need for different gearing in my 987's, I feel otherwise with my GT4. I have a highly modified 987.2 track car that I am very happy with. But my expectations are different for my GT4. The GT4 has the potential to perform at a very high level and it is being constrained by the gearing. If there was a viable option for an ideal transmission/gear package, similar to the 997 GT3 RS, I would buy it immediately.

Matt, I believe there has been a sea change with respect to the Cayman platform in recent years. The car has gained much more respect that it had in its early days. People have seen how much potential the car has once the performance is unleashed. There is more interest than ever in Caymans being used on the track or being converted to dedicated track cars. For most of us, the GT4 is a $100K+ car. For many of us, an additional $5K - $10K tranny/gearing upgrade, if it was the ideal combination, would be very compelling. Do I need to send you a deposit now to convince you?
GT3 guys don't do it and I really so no indication that this car will be different. Guys just don't rebuild a perfectly good brand new transmission. There are so many other less intrusive mods they can do first.

Sure, some shop project cars and dedicated racecars will get it done but your average track day guy? Not anytime soon. That guy will be the exception, not the rule. But if they want to spend their money I'll take it from them happily.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:41 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,964 Likes on 915 Posts

Is it possible that this becomes such a commonly needed fix, that opening the gearbox for this particular car becomes the "de rigeur" modification everyone does? If enough people want to shorten the final drive, maybe gtgears et al will finally have a good business case on their hands.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:18 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
Guys just don't rebuild a perfectly good brand new transmission.
Personally I'm temped to buy another box to modify to avoid this issue...

For modification a ring and pinion is perhaps an easier sell? It seemed pretty popular for 951s for a while using the S2 part as I recall, and between the RS R&P and the 4:1 Cup there must have been quite a few that went into GT3s? Of course I suspect those were generally factory parts installed, not aftermarket...
Old 10-04-2015, 04:54 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For me, a R&P would have to be coupled with a longer 6th gear for highway cruising. I just got back from an extended road trip and it's marginally too short as it is.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:59 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Personally I'm temped to buy another box to modify to avoid this issue...
I am in this camp as well and would really like this if we could choose ratios' for all 6 gears, not just 3-6. But it will likely be cheaper to pull out stock gears while new, update 3-6, put stock gears on the shelf and rebuild later before a sale putting the stock gears back in, if needed.

Its just too bad we are stuck with 2nd being so tall.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:37 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if the car weren't already so low to the ground, we could just use smaller wheels/tires with a 15% smaller diameter

Quick Reply: GT4 final drive discussion