Sponsored by: APR

Xpel Headlight delamination issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 03:30 AM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZG911
What sections of your car did you have covered, how much $, and how long did it take?

I'll need coverage soon and looking for a great installer. The last installer I visited did not tuck all of the sections and some where off by my nearly a 1/8-1/4inch. And they had the highest estimate.
Hood, Bumper, Front Fenders, plus tint. Just a little over $2,000.

If someone can tell me where to look for an edge I will see if I can find one. Have not found any yet. Again he removed headlights and badges and tucked everything so not sure if there even are any edges to find.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:41 AM
rickdm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xpel Headlight delamination issue

My installer used Suntek and said he had not had a problem with multiple Porsche's using that film. I had the same film on my 981 CS for a couple of years with no problem.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:06 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gmaki
I did not do mine. By the way now that mine is done I can't really even see the wrap. AutoSkinz did a fantastic job. Every edge is tucked. I haven't found a line anywhere. Honestly I can't really tell what is covered and what isn't. I guess that is an advantage of being 49 with failing eyesight! lol

If you happen to live near Santa Clarita I highly recommend these guys.
Just a quick update on this as I have found two imperfections since my update. This does not change my overall positive recommendation for AutoSkinz in Santa Clarita however I also want to make sure to disclose everything to avoid unrealistic expectations.

AutoSkinz covered my mirrors, and unlike the rest of the car edges can be seen and with varying degrees of evenness and unevenness. I would actually put it on par with the previous thread another Rennlister posted of a somewhat poor job of aint protection. Again this is ONLY the mirrors, and I am sure the reason is there is nowhere to tuck so they were forced to cut. And due to the fact that no one wants to put razor against paint the cuts are made with a gap between the flim and the paint, which is why we see these edges.

Also I found a line on the lower left bumper. Right above the splitter. At first I thought the bumper itself had cracked and I nearly broke down in tears but upon closer inspection it seems almost as if the Xpel was cut and joined there. This is something I will bring up to the installer when I go back in a couple weeks. But again not a show stopper and again the rest of the car remains flawless.

I still recommend these guys and I will update after I speak to the installer.

Also the full price for the work was $2,160. That covered bumper, fenders, hood and mirrors with Xpel, and 3M color stable tint on side and rear windows.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:24 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

I'd also highly recommend doing clearplex on the front windshield (paid $450 for it), especially if you plan on tracking your car.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:31 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I'd also highly recommend doing clearplex on the front windshield (paid $450 for it), especially if you plan on tracking your car.
I am getting my windshield done as well
I am also doing my headlights
I spoke to my installer and he told me he has never had an issue with the de-lamination. I basically got from him it has to do with who and how its being removed ... He knows how
Old 09-21-2015, 12:33 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,785 Likes on 4,775 Posts

I would not do Clearplex.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:46 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Clarify
I have 3M pro on my car (the whole car )
As to the windshield I assume he is using a 3M product but don't know what that is ?
Why do u suggest not to use one ?
I am sure its more maintenance and you probably shouldn't use your windshield wipers ?
Old 09-21-2015, 01:30 AM
ZG911
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I would not do Clearplex.
Because why?
Old 09-21-2015, 01:39 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

it is well known among the clear bra installers that xpel sticks harder to surfaces it is applied to than other products

removing xpel film can damage painted surfaces if not done very slowly and skillfully

so i am not surprised to hear about this potential headlamp delam issue

Originally Posted by gmaki
When I checked on my car yesterday and the status of the Xpel paint protection process the installation guy told me he received a bulletin about potential delamnnation of the headlights when Xpel is removed.

He didn't seem too clear on what that meant exactly, he suggested that maybe when it came time to remove the Xpel the headlight may delaminate. Not even sure how, why, and what is laminated on the headlight in the first place.

In any event I just had him not cover the headlights for now. If I track it I'll just tape them up. If the issues is ever clarified I'll just take it back and get it done later.

Anyone else heard of this?
Old 09-21-2015, 01:39 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

991 and 981 are different than any other car before it.
put the film on, take film off, it will delaminate 70% of the time.
that's not to day dont do it. just be aware.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:41 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,785 Likes on 4,775 Posts

Originally Posted by ZG911
Because why?
Distortion.

Difficulty in cleaning with small nicks and scratches
Old 09-21-2015, 01:43 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

^ to each his own.
i dont cover windshiled.
i put new glass on every other years.
not more $ then clearplex.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:11 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Distortion.

Difficulty in cleaning with small nicks and scratches
I have clear tint on the inside of the windshield and clearplex on the outside. I can see totally fine with no distortion at all.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:18 AM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have clear tint on the inside of the windshield and clearplex on the outside. I can see totally fine with no distortion at all.
Maybe the inner and outer layer distortions cancel each other out.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:50 AM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,089 Likes on 572 Posts

What's really happening is there's a thin film on the lights to protect them from uv . That peals off with the clear bra. It's real, happened to me with my14 CS . For track you can just use blue tape on the lights,works fine doesn't remove the coating.used it on my 15cs and will use on my GT4.carl

Quick Reply: Xpel Headlight delamination issue