Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Porsche, you got me! GT4 config..

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 01:22 PM
Provie
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 36 Posts

My kinda build... I like the small leather details (including the door sills).
Old 08-07-2015, 01:28 PM
uhn2000
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
I haven't found pics of this option even on a 911, though I did find an image from Porsche Exclusive confirming the part that was covered in leather. Basically the "upper" term refers to the part around the gauges, but not the gauge surrounds themselves; I think Porsche figures that the gauges sunken, so "upper" means "closer to the driver". Anyhow, from the very few posts about it here or on P-9, the one person I found who actually had it said that he didn't feel it was worth it, and somebody else was told the same by their dealer. I'm getting it just because it doesn't make sense to me to have a plastic piece there surrounded by a leather dash above, a leather steering column below, and Alcantara and aluminum below and to the side. If I wasn't getting the steering column though, I'd definitely pass on this option.

I love the leather inner door sills too. I just know myself well enough to know that I wouldn't be sufficiently careful over the long term, so I recognize that in some cases I just can't have nice things. I can also be lazy when it comes to cleaning my car, which is partly why I'm getting the leather steering wheel. I'm going to drive this car a lot and definitely won't feel like cleaning an Alcantara steering wheel with a toothbrush periodically, but I also tried an Alcantara steering wheel in-person and while it felt nice, it didn't blow my mind compared to leather.
I saw the gauges (instrument panel) one on a cayenne that had both that and pcm covered in leather. The nice thing was that the interior leather was cream so they matched it with that .. really made the panel stand out - not so sure if you do this in black that you are going to get the same effect unless ofcourse these is stitching somewhere.

The steering wheel in Alcantara, had it on my R8GT spider and I miss it (and that car) wish I never sold it - BAH!

Originally Posted by sportscentury
Epic build, congrats!
Thanks, will take lots of pics and update you all on each detail. Chat soon and can't wait to drive it!
Old 08-07-2015, 01:38 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by uhn2000
I saw the gauges (instrument panel) one on a cayenne that had both that and pcm covered in leather. The nice thing was that the interior leather was cream so they matched it with that .. really made the panel stand out - not so sure if you do this in black that you are going to get the same effect unless ofcourse these is stitching somewhere.
Yeah, there's no stitching on the leather instrument surround. I figure it might make for a more consistent aesthetic transition from the leather dash to that piece though.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:57 PM
uhn2000
Racer

Originally Posted by jphughan
Yeah, there's no stitching on the leather instrument surround. I figure it might make for a more consistent aesthetic transition from the leather dash to that piece though.
Definitely go for it.. curious to see how it turns out!
Old 08-07-2015, 03:20 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

My resale value salutes you, sir!
Old 08-07-2015, 04:26 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

I specced leather door sills on mine and I'm excited about that little detail.
On my 997 GTS cab, I have instrument surround in aluminum, and I think it was a $400 rip off. It's a tiny piece of aluminum-look plastic that is sunken in around the gauges - barely visible. Would look just as good in red plastic. As for whether or not the red plastic matches the leather well, in my 997 it does.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:33 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by Selo
I specced leather door sills on mine and I'm excited about that little detail.
On my 997 GTS cab, I have instrument surround in aluminum, and I think it was a $400 rip off. It's a tiny piece of aluminum-look plastic that is sunken in around the gauges - barely visible. Would look just as good in red plastic. As for whether or not the red plastic matches the leather well, in my 997 it does.
Yeah, I know it won't be that noticeable in the area above and behind the gauges, but the piece also comes down and forward along the steering column enough that I think it might be noticeable there, as well as in the transition from the leather dash to the otherwise plastic instrument cluster surround. I guess I'll find out. If it's pointless, it probably still won't be the dumbest $400 I've ever spent.

Fwiw, here's the pic I was referring to earlier. Granted it's from a 991, but it should still be informative:

Originally Posted by reidry
In an email exchange with Melissa at Porsche Exclusive she provided this image:

The orange indicates the area covered by the "Instrument Surround in Leather" option.

Ryan

Last edited by jphughan; 08-07-2015 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:47 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If this is the leather inner door sills you are talking about, I would pass.

They will definitely get scuffed and you know what leather looks like when it's scuffed....sh-t, and if the stitching gets ripped not a good scene.

Now this is what I'm talking about, simply gorgeous.
Too bad my order is locked, I should have gotten the carbon fiber door sills.
If the carbon gets scuffed just polish it out.

Old 08-08-2015, 12:31 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by Maverick1
Now this is what I'm talking about, simply gorgeous.
Too bad my order is locked, I should have gotten the carbon fiber door sills.
If the carbon gets scuffed just polish it out.

That's aftermarket. The factory carbon fiber sills are the outside sills where the model designator is, which becomes illuminated. Suncoast sells them and I think they're even reasonably priced relative to factory. Not sure how much work is involved in wiring the illumination though. That CF inner sill looks a bit over the top to me, but it would at least be more resilient than leather.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:53 AM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If you are going with the painted interior trim think about the vents and the PCM. A painted PCM really creates a nice flow through the center of the car.

This is my GT3, all the paint was a bit intense when I first got it, but now I can't imagine it any other way. I know someone with a similarly painted interior but in SBM, it looks great. I don't think she has any photos of it online.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:08 AM
uhn2000
Racer

Originally Posted by bigkraig
If you are going with the painted interior trim think about the vents and the PCM. A painted PCM really creates a nice flow through the center of the car.

This is my GT3, all the paint was a bit intense when I first got it, but now I can't imagine it any other way. I know someone with a similarly painted interior but in SBM, it looks great. I don't think she has any photos of it online.

Wow that is really nice, thanks for sharing.. I will definitely look at that - I am a little apprehensive on the intensity (like you mentioned).. but this actually looks amazing with the vents etc. Love it..
Old 08-10-2015, 12:13 AM
uhn2000
Racer

One sec, need to fix my attachments.. I added the blue everywhere.. will upload it shortly.

Quick Reply: Porsche, you got me! GT4 config..