Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

CNC Machined wing brackets - any interest?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 12:14 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 44 Posts
Lightbulb CNC Machined wing brackets - any interest?

I've heard a number of people say they felt the wing brackets on the gt4 are a bit lacking in their appearance. While I have yet to see one in person, the claim is that they have a caked on painted look or seem plasticky, which is disappointing.

Hearing this, I contacted a friend with a machine shop to CNC Machine a hard black anodized replacement set once my car arrives. I mentioned other people might be interested in the same and asked if he would be willing to make others; he said he could.

I'm putting this out to gauge anyone's interest.

* CNC Machined
* 6061-T6 Aluminum Alloy .250 thick.
* All edges radius .060
* Time saved (grain finished)
* Hard black anodized for black brackets
* Natural parts clear anodized for standard brackets

He is thinking cost would be about $375-450 for the pair once we get a look at the stock piece.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:14 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

definitely
Old 07-22-2015, 12:41 PM
FrstPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Yep.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:51 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes, interested.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:54 PM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I would be interested in a set. As I can't ever seem to leave well enough alone, and I plan on tracking my car. I was thinking of experimenting with possibly having s set made that raised the wing a bit higher. Of course this would also lead to the need of adding more aero up front as well.
Fun to tweak but I suspect I wouldn't start this process right away. Might not need the added aero, time will tell.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:59 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rovman
I would be interested in a set. As I can't ever seem to leave well enough alone, and I plan on tracking my car. I was thinking of experimenting with possibly having s set made that raised the wing a bit higher. Of course this would also lead to the need of adding more aero up front as well.
Fun to tweak but I suspect I wouldn't start this process right away. Might not need the added aero, time will tell.
I appreciate the ask for tweaks. I would ask, for the people sorting out the manufacturing of these, please make the parts to the exact spec of the existing part for those of us who want to mirror the stock configuration and aero tuning. I want to keep things as designed but avoid paint peeling and other deteriorations in the uprights.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:52 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 235 Posts

Yes, very interested.

Additional request - can your machine shop make a quality skid pad for the front underside? I really hate the idea of scraping the plastic on the underside - which inevitably occurred on all my 981s. The lip is replaceable true, but a protective plate would give me added piece of mind to not worry about the scrapes.

I saw this posted that someone built themselves for a CS ....
Old 07-22-2015, 02:15 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Good idea but I wouldn't be a customer at that price and I think you would limit your market considerably.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:27 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
Yes, very interested.

Additional request - can your machine shop make a quality skid pad for the front underside? I really hate the idea of scraping the plastic on the underside - which inevitably occurred on all my 981s. The lip is replaceable true, but a protective plate would give me added piece of mind to not worry about the scrapes.

Not sure how feasible that would be on the GT4 given that the CS pictured above lacks the front spoiler that the GT4 has -- or did you intend to replace the front spoiler entirely with this pad? Alternatively, if you haven't already seen it, Schnell Autosports makes a scrape bar for the 981S and GTS (latter here) that's a lot smaller and probably a lot lighter than a full skid pad while serving the same function by dipping just far enough into the approach angle to become the sacrificial piece, and it mounts into stock mounting holes. I've emailed them about whether they intend to offer a GT4 version but have not yet heard back.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:59 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
Not sure how feasible that would be on the GT4 given that the CS pictured above lacks the front spoiler that the GT4 has -- or did you intend to replace the front spoiler entirely with this pad? Alternatively, if you haven't already seen it, Schnell Autosports makes a scrape bar for the 981S and GTS (latter here) that's a lot smaller and probably a lot lighter than a full skid pad while serving the same function by dipping just far enough into the approach angle to become the sacrificial piece, and it mounts into stock mounting holes. I've emailed them about whether they intend to offer a GT4 version but have not yet heard back.
I emailed them as well with no reply so far.
I would be interested in some kind of skid plate.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:20 PM
Jonas007
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might be interested but that pricing seems a little outrageous. This is about $9 of aluminum for each stand, and incredibly quick to create a die/template to cut these.

Even with a profit, I would have expected $100
Old 07-22-2015, 03:26 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Very interested. If we can do a platinum color to match the wheels, count me in.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:47 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
Yes, very interested.

Sorry for hijacking the OP but this is a great idea EXCEPT I have to believe this impacts the aero package on the GT4 that Porsche took great pains to get right. Taking this on and off might be easy but even at FWY speeds I would think this isn't the best idea.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:48 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
I've emailed them about whether they intend to offer a GT4 version but have not yet heard back.
Please let us know what the response is. Their solution looks promising.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:14 PM
n3rd
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 42 Posts

At the price noted above, I'll have carbon ones made.

Quick Reply: CNC Machined wing brackets - any interest?