Sponsored by: APR

Porsche: If you want LWB, you cannot have the car

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 07:27 PM
mcdavis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Porsche: If you want LWB, you cannot have the car

I'm being told that my dealer allococation is July, they cannot delay their allocation, and Porsche will not allow them to order a car with LWB - lightweight buckets (as of May 12th). Car jumps from code V200 to V100 if P11 is selected.

Takeaway: If you want to keep the car/allocation, buy sofa seats. If not, the dealer will have to reconfigure the car and sell it to someone else. There is no option to keep my allocation with LWB or even to delay my allocation with LWB - order will not allow V200 with P11. How is this acceptable?

I suspect Porsche is trying to fill the June and July build slots with non-LWB orders because of a part shortage. I would greatly prefer that they move folks up in line rather than dictate how I am to order the car or force me to lose the car entirely.

Not good for a limited production car. I can't just go out and get another car. If I lose this, I am screwed.

-mark
Old 05-14-2015, 07:48 PM
blackbull
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just get the car w/o the LWB's then get a custom upholstered set of Recaro's... viola problem solved!!!
The following users liked this post:
JoeVdub (08-24-2021)
Old 05-14-2015, 08:15 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

OP, I'm confused. Didn't you just get on the list like 5 days ago? Are there others behind you on your dealer's list? If yes, my guess is they only let you jump because of the LWB delay, in which case you wouldn't be getting screwed. If there's nobody else on this list, just tell them to put you on the list for a later allocation with LWB's, or try another dealer. What am I missing?
Old 05-14-2015, 08:30 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

The big issue with LWBs may be that they cannot catch up before 981.2.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:35 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

This is a complete nightmare with the LWB suppliers. What a screwup!
Old 05-14-2015, 08:38 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't believe you are getting an accurate story from your dealer. I read those emails from PNA about the delays caused by the LWB's. My advice: stop by your dealer and ask to see how the email was worded. As I recall, it gave the dealer the option to move other allocations up the line but it didn't cancel an allocation just because they can't accept the order with LWB's at this time.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:08 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
I don't believe you are getting an accurate story from your dealer. I read those emails from PNA about the delays caused by the LWB's. My advice: stop by your dealer and ask to see how the email was worded. As I recall, it gave the dealer the option to move other allocations up the line but it didn't cancel an allocation just because they can't accept the order with LWB's at this time.
Wouldn't it be great if Porsche actual gave a damn and told the customers the real deal?
Old 05-14-2015, 09:21 PM
mcdavis
Racer

Originally Posted by blackbull
Just get the car w/o the LWB's then get a custom upholstered set of Recaro's... viola problem solved!!!
No airbags.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:23 PM
mcdavis
Racer

Originally Posted by Archimedes
OP, I'm confused. Didn't you just get on the list like 5 days ago? Are there others behind you on your dealer's list? If yes, my guess is they only let you jump because of the LWB delay, in which case you wouldn't be getting screwed. If there's nobody else on this list, just tell them to put you on the list for a later allocation with LWB's, or try another dealer. What am I missing?
Yes, I did just get the car.

The July build came as part of a sales quota competition that is ongoing...dealers can get 0,1,2 GT4s as a result of this as prizes.

-mark
Old 05-14-2015, 10:14 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mcdavis

The July build came as part of a sales quota competition that is ongoing...dealers can get 0,1,2 GT4s as a result of this as prizes.

-mark
which dealer?
Old 05-14-2015, 11:14 PM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Mark,

Misery loves company. I had a similar thing happen to me this morning when my order was placed. With mine though the P11 option was automatically changed to 2 way Sport seats and moved to V200 status! Very strange.

I have a call into the general manager to find out if I can push the build date back several months in hopes the supply of LWB will improve. Based on your comments that seems doubtful though.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:36 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by mcdavis

-mark
That's my point. First, you're lucky enough to find a dealer that doesn't have a list 20 deep and then you get to jump to the top of the list, likely because others decided to wait on LWBs, and now you're complaining that it's not fair that you can't get LWBs? :roll eyes:

Beggars, choosers, and all that.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:19 AM
mcdavis
Racer

My seats were also automatically changed, but V200 is not good if it isn't the right configuration. Apparently, you can buy whatever you want as long as it doesn't have seats with airbags and harness connections -

-mark
Old 05-15-2015, 01:44 AM
mcdavis
Racer

The solution to this mess is obvious:

1. Allow non-LWB orders to move up in production to keep the line moving...months if necessary. I'm sure there are plenty of folks who would appreciate this.
2. Continue to accept LWB orders adding appropriate delays or allow dealers to sit on allocations in non-V200 until the option returns.

Just don't force dealers to buy cars immediately...with the threat of losing their allocation...with certain options off the table - this will adversely impact your customers who could lose this limited production car as a result of this policy. Allow your customers to configure the car as they see fit...I'm not sure folks want to pay $105k for a car that was almost what they wanted.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:14 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

I don't think you understand manufacturing. Porsche has to manufacture these cars as planned and get them sold. They can't wait on the LWBs to come in. So they offer allocations to dealers. If a dealer can't sell that car, it's gonna go to another dealer. But you can't expect that other dealer to give up one of its later allocations. That wouldn't be fair to the other dealer's customers and would be an absolute nightmare of a process to manage.

If there was one master list, I could see Porsche doing what you propose, but that's not the way it works. Each dealer has their list and some dealers get more cars than others. If your dealer doesn't have any later allocations, call around to other dealers and see if you can get on another list.

Quick Reply: Porsche: If you want LWB, you cannot have the car