Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

9A1 DFI Engine Preventative Maintenance IS A MUST!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 04:53 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 608 Likes on 271 Posts
Default 9A1 DFI Engine Preventative Maintenance IS A MUST!

The Porsche 9A1 platform has proven to be a near bulletproof weapon on the street, or out on track. While we have heard rumors of this issue, it seems to be happening more frequently to the point that we had 2 bone stock (BUT HIGH TRACK MILEAGE) 9A1 DFI engines show up at our shop within 2 days of each other. One is from a 3.8L GT4 Clubsport and the other a 3.4L 981 Boxster S engine. Both are from the 981/991 generation of NA engines for cars built between 2013 - 2016. I can't imagine this ever happening on a road car, especially a PDK road car so for your folks that don't do Launch Control at the Starbucks, don't Auto X, don't run your cars into the ground around America's road courses, we think you're fine. As for everyone else, let's be honest...these cars go to the track and have the ever living snot kicked out of them for 2 hours per day and probably 400+ miles per weekend under a 2 - 3 day Driver's Ed event format. We ask a lot of these cars! While seemingly more common among the manual transmission cars where drivers tend to rush downshifts and incite a change in inertia, we are now seeing PDK cars experience this failure too. We have no doubt though that these are some of the more heavily tracked cars around.

So...if you're sitting on the sidelines until the track season resumes and you're curious about maintenance that can be done to prevent a potential loss of your engine, call us! As of late we have been repairing more and more of these motors - we are grateful to stay busy so if you're considering some maintenance during the down time, you can either send it or we can even come and pick it up if you aren't too far away and we can coordinate pickups!

There is really only one other place I would trust to be knowledgeable about this repair and you know who that is! Our combined hours going in and out of these motors far exceeds anyone else in the country, so stick with the authorities!

We have been subjecting these cars to the stresses of endurance racing for almost 10 years now; we are confident in saying that they are some of the most reliable, most resilient engines around! You can't beat a current generation Porsche for the money! HOWEVER, when subjected to stresses far greater than intended, we are concerned to the point that we are going to address this issue going forward with every engine we touch. This engine in particular will cost over $15K to repair; it will depend on the nature of the environment to know exactly how bad the collateral damage will be if it happens to someone.

We will update this thread going forward for all repairs and work regarding this maintenance!

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 04-08-2020 at 05:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
HelpMeHelpU (05-27-2024)

Popular Reply

04-18-2020, 02:48 PM
evil panda
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 73 Posts

So what I’m taking away from this thread is that a 4.5L upgrade is ‘preventative maintenance’. Got it. forwarding thread to wife...
Old 04-08-2020, 06:23 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 100 Posts

Can you elaborate, what are you seeing?
Old 04-08-2020, 07:41 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 184 Posts

PDK gear's bolts backing out?
Old 04-08-2020, 08:57 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by James88
looks like the bolts in the cam sprocket failed.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:16 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 296 Posts

variocam actuator bolts? I know of 2 981 Cayman S and a 981 GT4 with the same failure. The cases I know of were covered under warranty by Porsche.
porscheflat6 (10-30-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 06:46 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 100 Posts

Wow !!!
posts an alarming thread and leaves us hanging...WTH
The following 4 users liked this post by James88:
M. Schneider (04-16-2020), RennKit-Dave (10-08-2022), RolloGigolo (04-09-2020), Zedr2 (10-18-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 09:06 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by zedcat
variocam actuator bolts? I know of 2 981 Cayman S and a 981 GT4 with the same failure. The cases I know of were covered under warranty by Porsche.
Yes. I have heard of multiple cases where Porsche has covered this under warranty because they're aware of the issue and if they can stand behind it, they are. this is why i love Porsche.

Wow !!!
posts an alarming thread and leaves us hanging...WTH
I'm here...don't fret. The intention was to start the discussion. I had to leave yesterday because we are running limited staff and trying to make sure that 1 person stays in the office.

For those that asked the same question, from what we can tell, if you're aggressively rushing downshifts prematurely OR you're missing shifts OR you're banging the car off the rev limiter in high load corners in the taller gears, you're introducing the engine to a situation beyond what it's intended to handle. The change in inertia is causing the bolts to break. We don't know if excessive heat is exacerbating the situation. One thing is clear. This is not like the IMS issues where an appropriately driven street car can fail without warning. This is something you're exposed to if you drive these cars inapproprtiately. We raced DFI 911s and Caymans from 2010 through 2013 and never had an issue; drivers were missing shifts often but we also ran engines for roughly a season which is about 3,000 miles per engine. These engines are in the 10K mile range and these cars are tracked heavily. We are trying to create a list of engines that have seen an issue so that we can pinpoint it. RIght now it's specific to the 9A1 motors that came in the 991.1 and 981 generation cars.
The following 4 users liked this post by BGB Motorsports:
James88 (04-09-2020), porscheflat6 (10-30-2020), porscheprestige (04-12-2024), SFZ GT3 (10-30-2022)
Old 04-09-2020, 02:14 PM
burnergt4
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 227 Posts

When Rick was walking a couple of us through the tweaks for the 4.5L engine conversion I think he’d mentioned this as well. These are aluminum bolts that are shearing, correct? if I’m remembering right, his solution was to swap them for steel bolts and that seems to have done the trick.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:40 PM
Kenith
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by burnergt4
When Rick was walking a couple of us through the tweaks for the 4.5L engine conversion I think he’d mentioned this as well. These are aluminum bolts that are shearing, correct? if I’m remembering right, his solution was to swap them for steel bolts and that seems to have done the trick.
I wonder if this would be good to replace these as preventative maintenance.
Old 04-09-2020, 03:01 PM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 246 Posts

I'll leave it to Rick to share any of his solutions, but yes he did mention that he has seen this condition in 9A1 engines and that he does have a solution which he implements in the 4.5 conversions. He also noted, as BGB indicates, that this occurs in manual cars (not PDK) that are driven by extremely aggressive and/or professional drivers on track and is associated with equally aggressive, high RPM, downshifts. In these cases, the aluminum bolts are the weakest link as the engine spools up very quickly to maximum RPM and can exhibit total failure. Once the bolts break, very bad and expensive things occur inside the engine, like pistons hitting valves, etc. I personally don't see this as a normal failure mode to be worried about by the average owner. I would also speculate that cars with this condition also would have DME over-revs. That is pure speculation however...
The following 2 users liked this post by sonorous:
porscheflat6 (10-30-2020), SFZ GT3 (10-30-2022)
Old 04-09-2020, 03:43 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Kenith
I wonder if this would be good to replace these as preventative maintenance.
Correct, we're on board with DeMan in swapping out these aluminum fasteners for steels. The whole purpose of this thread is to raise awareness of a potential flaw that we (along with DeMan) are able to put a fix on prior to grenading the top end! Preventative maintenance in these cars is key, and that's what we're here to do

Originally Posted by sonorous
I'll leave it to Rick to share any of his solutions, but yes he did mention that he has seen this condition in 9A1 engines and that he does have a solution which he implements in the 4.5 conversions. He also noted, as BGB indicates, that this occurs in manual cars (not PDK) that are driven by extremely aggressive and/or professional drivers on track and is associated with equally aggressive, high RPM, downshifts. In these cases, the aluminum bolts are the weakest link as the engine spools up very quickly to maximum RPM and can exhibit total failure. Once the bolts break, very bad and expensive things occur inside the engine, like pistons hitting valves, etc. I personally don't see this as a normal failure mode to be worried about by the average owner. I would also speculate that cars with this condition also would have DME over-revs. That is pure speculation however...
See above. Yes, steel fasteners are the key to preventing this type of failure. Make no mistake, while 6 speed cars are more likely to see something of this sort with aggressive shifts, PDK cars are not immune. We current have a 981 Clubsport with around 12k track miles, and a 981 Boxster S (both PDK) in with the hardware failure. There is no smoking gun at this point as to what is the sole cause of the bolts sheering issue (oil issues or oil temps, aggressive shifting, manufacturer defect, etc), we can agree that this is a fairly simple, however quite labor intensive job. Perfect for those pre/post-season refreshers that people send to us here at BGB!
The following 2 users liked this post by BGB Motorsports:
porscheflat6 (10-30-2020), Rick DeMan (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 04:11 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 817 Likes on 469 Posts

So my big question is does this affect the 987.2 9A1 engine???

Peter
Old 04-09-2020, 04:33 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
There is no smoking gun at this point as to what is the sole cause of the bolts sheering issue (oil issues or oil temps, aggressive shifting, manufacturer defect, etc), we can agree that this is a fairly simple, however quite labor intensive job.
Wouldn't it be safe to say it's an improper materials selection defect of specifying malleable aluminum bolts that tend to deform under pressure?
Old 04-09-2020, 04:49 PM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 656 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
So my big question is does this affect the 987.2 9A1 engine???

Peter
the 987.2 and 997.2 uses a steel version of the cam adjuster and is immune to these failures.
And they are not interchangeable, so this fix as John has shown here is a proven and solid solution

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
The following 7 users liked this post by Rick DeMan:
2slow2speed (04-10-2020), Boiler Inspector (04-09-2020), ekam (04-09-2020), jto24 (11-17-2023), porscheflat6 (10-30-2020), SFZ GT3 (12-06-2022), Sir Ducer (04-10-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-09-2020, 05:16 PM
Chris P Lewis
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 59 Posts

Are these types of bolts used in the 718 GT4s?

Quick Reply: 9A1 DFI Engine Preventative Maintenance IS A MUST!