Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Thumbs up for Obsessed Garage

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019 | 09:40 AM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Default Thumbs up for Obsessed Garage

I want to briefly share my experience with purchasing merchandise from Obsessed Garage. I’m not affiliated, just a happy customer. I’ve been following Matt Moreman’s Obsessed Garage YouTube channel for a couple of years and was intrigued to see him quit his longtime career as a financial advisor to start his own business in selling garage and car-care equipment.

We just renovated our house last year and I was looking to turn our new garage into an attractive, clean, functional space. I had been reading great reviews about Swisstrax garage floor tiles, and saw that Matt was selling them at a nice discount. I used the floor pattern designer on the Swisstrax website, ordered the tiles from Matt and did the installation myself using a circular saw and jigsaw for perimeter cuts and cuts around the posts of my lift. Couldn’t be happier. The tiles are significantly thicker and higher quality than the GarageTek system we had in our old garage, and the flow-through design allows dirt and debris to fall to the concrete floor below. Very clean design.

I was then looking for new cabinets to replace my old plastic GarageTek units. I’d read a lot about Moduline and was thinking about going with those, but then Matt did an extensive review of the Sonic line of cabinets and started carrying them. I liked what I saw based on his review. The Sonic cabinets looked to be well-built, the configurations are very customizable for your given space and needs, and they bolt to each other to make a solid unit, so you don’t need to bolt them to the wall. Plus, they’re cheaper than the comparable Moduline units.

I finally decided to pull the trigger on the Sonic cabinets from Obsessed Garage. They arrived a few weeks later (they’re built in the Netherlands and the U.S. distribution warehouse is not yet fully stocked) on a couple of pallets from Old Dominion freight. The driver helped me get them off of the pallets and into the garage (they weigh anywhere from 100-250 lbs in the boxes). It took me a day to get them fully assembled, in position and leveled. The design of the components used for assembly and securing of the cabinets to each other is ingenious and very well built. They don’t come with instructions, though, so here Matt’s review was a great help, serving as an assembly guide. Once you see how to put the rear securing rails in place, it’s very easy.

The cabinets offer a huge amount of storage and look fantastic. They really complement the garage, and allow for decluttering and organizing. Unfortunately, during assembly I noticed that the large storage locker had a dent in the top along the front. The box had been intact, so it must have had a hard hit on top either during shipment from the Netherlands to the U.S. or from the distribution warehouse to me. Once I saw it I couldn’t unsee it, so I contacted Obsessed Garage and Sonic. They were very responsive and helpful. Matt’s wife Michele handles orders and she made sure that Sonic took care of the issue. Sonic had a new locker cabinet coming in with the next shipment, and so they sent the new replacement cabinet to me and picked up the damaged one, with no additional cost to me. Fantastic customer service.

I’ve attached a couple of pics of the cabinets in the garage. Again, I highly recommend Obsessed Garage if you’re looking for flooring, cabinets or car care products. Matt is a car guy and seems very passionate about what he does. Happy to support him.

The following users liked this post:
SGOGT4 (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019 | 10:18 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Nice work!

Agree he's a great source of info.
Old 07-14-2019 | 02:35 PM
idyfohu
Advanced

First off, your garage looks beautiful...nice and clean, organized, and of course a lift (swoon).

Gotta love Obsessed Garage and Matt. Passionate guy who loves what he does. Awesome review!
Old 07-14-2019 | 02:55 PM
9elheven
Addict
Rennlist Member

paradocs98, thanks as always for your contribution, regardless of how jealous it makes me feel. I should put up a shot of my garage to give you a heart attack; it's so bad. Maybe now I have something to model my garage after.
Old 07-14-2019 | 03:06 PM
CardiffDweller
Instructor

I've followed his youtube channel for a while and he struck a cord with me. He trained as an engineer, decided it wasn't for him, joined the investment world, suffered from real OCD, and found a way to channel his issues in a different, productive, healthy way. That checks many of my personal boxes too. One of his latest videos where he rides with his wife in the Smokies and terrifies her at about 3/4's pace is fun to watch.
Old 07-14-2019 | 10:42 PM
jayson
Rennlist Member

Awesome setup! Also would love to hear how you like the M2 Comp vs. GT4.
Old 07-14-2019 | 10:51 PM
Space Coast GT3
Racer

Gorgeous. Love the flooring too!
Old 07-15-2019 | 08:23 AM
rpetty3
Rennlist Member

Awesome work its beautiful. We too support Matt and OG. Spent some time with him at Smokies GT and just a nice guy as well. Enjoy the new garage.
Old 07-16-2019 | 06:41 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SToronto
Nice work!

Agree he's a great source of info.
Thanks. He enjoys trying so many different things, whether they be exhaust systems or cleaning products or cabinets, etc. So it's kind of like Matt serves as the beta tester for all of us.

Originally Posted by idyfohu
First off, your garage looks beautiful...nice and clean, organized, and of course a lift (swoon).

Gotta love Obsessed Garage and Matt. Passionate guy who loves what he does. Awesome review!
Thanks a lot. Nice to be organized finally!

Originally Posted by 9elheven
paradocs98, thanks as always for your contribution, regardless of how jealous it makes me feel. I should put up a shot of my garage to give you a heart attack; it's so bad. Maybe now I have something to model my garage after.
I hear you! It's a daunting task to get everything organized. One of the benefits, though, is that you find a lot of stuff you forgot you had--most of which you end up just throwing out, but some of which can be handy treasures.

Originally Posted by CardiffDweller
I've followed his youtube channel for a while and he struck a cord with me. He trained as an engineer, decided it wasn't for him, joined the investment world, suffered from real OCD, and found a way to channel his issues in a different, productive, healthy way. That checks many of my personal boxes too. One of his latest videos where he rides with his wife in the Smokies and terrifies her at about 3/4's pace is fun to watch.
Interesting--didn't know he was originally an engineer prior to his work as an investment advisor.

Originally Posted by jayson
Awesome setup! Also would love to hear how you like the M2 Comp vs. GT4.
Thanks. The two cars are very very different. I absolutely adore my GT4, but it's not a very comfortable daily driver at this point. I'm running on 19" Forgelines, using the same aspect ratio as the stock tires, so the whole car sits 0.5" lower, and as you know, it's pretty low to begin with. That plus the carbon buckets make it slightly awkward for my long body to get in and out of. Once I'm in, I love it, it's just the getting in and out that's tiresome on a daily basis. And given my location in the Metro NY burbs with all of the potholes, speed bumps, and angled driveways, not to mention the aggressive and/or clueless drivers I share roads with here, I prefer to save the GT4 for the track. It shines much more there.

The M2C feels much more practical. Easier to get in and out of, easier to see out of, yet still small and nimble. No worries with angled driveways or speed bumps. And I am definitely not putting some crazy low front lip on it!

Although I complain about the gymnastics required to get in and out of the low GT4 carbon buckets, I actually wish the M2C seats sat a bit lower--maybe even just 1". No problem with headroom, but they just feel kind of like you're up on a perch rather than sitting down in the car. Might be a good aftermarket mod for the typical BMW M tuners like Turner, IND, Fall-Line, etc.--shorter mounts for the stock seats to lower them a bit.

The ride/handling balance of the M2C seems quite good from what I've experienced so far. It's obviously heavier and has more body roll than the GT4, but it turns in nicely and feels very planted and confident. And the ride definitely soaks up more bumps and road imperfections than the GT4. Again, excellent for a daily driver.

I'm only 500 miles in on the M2C break-in, so I haven't given it the beans yet, but I can tell that it's a ripper. Obviously has much more low-end torque than the GT4's naturally aspirated engine. Builds speed very very quickly and somewhat deceptively, with less drama than the GT4. The M2C is a more insulated driving experience, but still enjoyable. We don't have to deal with the exhaust-strangling OPF here in the US, so I think the car sounds fairly decent stock. I may still investigate the AA mid pipe at some point, though--it replaces the stock two-pipe design with one larger mid pipe to combine the exhaust pulses of the two turbos for a more pleasing exhaust note and better flow.

The M2C's brake calipers certainly look the business, and likely are overkill for daily driving. But those who track their cars will certainly enjoy how robust they seem to be. Better pads and fluid are likely all that's necessary for track use. A vast improvement from my 2011 M3 sedan. I put about 35 trackdays on that car, and installed a StopTech BBK front and rear almost as soon as I took delivery. Those E9X M3 OEM brakes were pathetic. These M2C brakes are in a different league altogether. That being said, the M2C's brakes are a bit touchy, producing a lot of bite from just a brush of the pedal, so that's another thing to get used to in around-town driving.

It's the manual transmission that is the most glaring contrast between the two cars, though. The GT4's clutch pedal is firm and positive, with fairly short travel that is consistent in feel throughout its motion. The bite point is obvious and easy to modulate, and it's relatively close to the floor. The shifter is similarly firm and precise, with a short, positive motion that feels very smooth, robust and "mechanical" in a good way. It feels expensive and bulletproof. (Except for the 3rd gear dog ring. )

The M2C's clutch pedal is vague, with an overly long travel, not great feel, and an engagement point that's too far up at the top of the stroke. Being used to the GT4, I felt like an idiot leaving the dealership lot in the new M2C as I slowly released the clutch pedal, adding throttle and making zero progress until the clutch finally caught at the top of the loooooooong pedal travel. It takes some getting used to, but now I'm much smoother with it. I've found that the more responsive throttle of sport plus helps with modulation and smoothness at low speeds, ironically. The M2C's shifter has a longer throw than that of the GT4, and it feels lighter and a bit vague. Overall the shifter certainly isn't bad, and I think it just suffers in direct comparison to the GT4's because the GT4's shifter is likely the best in the industry. It's just that good, as you know. A short shift kit will likely help the M2C significantly.

Overall I'm still happy I went with the manual in the M2C, because I personally am over DCTs for now in my daily driver (had an SMG in an E60 M5, a DCT in an E90 M3, a PDK in a 991.1 Carrera S, and an S-tronic/DSG in an Audi S3). I really enjoy the fulfillment of driving a manual transmission well, and that's why I'll likely code out the auto-rev match feature. I feel like manual transmissions won't be here forever, and this is our opportunity to enjoy them while we can.

Despite both being relatively small, two-door German performance cars, the GT4 and the M2C are very different, but that's okay. Each one shines in its own particular intended use. Nice to be able to have both to compliment each other.

Originally Posted by Space Coast GT3
Gorgeous. Love the flooring too!
Thanks--I've been very happy with it!

Originally Posted by rpetty3
Awesome work its beautiful. We too support Matt and OG. Spent some time with him at Smokies GT and just a nice guy as well. Enjoy the new garage.
Thanks--videos from the Smokies event look amazing. Would like to attend sometime!
Old 07-17-2019 | 07:29 PM
RolloGigolo
Instructor

Awesome post, thanks for sharing!
Old 07-18-2019 | 12:54 AM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Nice!!

When does the Obsessed Garage Kranzle pressure washer package arrive??

Old 07-22-2019 | 08:54 PM
evil panda
Racer

Your garage really came together really nicely.

What are the mirrors for? So that the cars can see how pretty they are?
Old 07-24-2019 | 06:41 AM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RolloGigolo
Awesome post, thanks for sharing!

Originally Posted by Shockwave
Nice!!

When does the Obsessed Garage Kranzle pressure washer package arrive??

Ooooooo...temptation!!

Originally Posted by evil panda
Your garage really came together really nicely.

What are the mirrors for? So that the cars can see how pretty they are?
Thanks. The mirrors allow me to see the front wheels of the car relative to the lift ramps so I stay centered driving onto it.

Quick Reply: Thumbs up for Obsessed Garage