GT4 mileage

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 06:20 PM
jcorderojr
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GT4 mileage

Hello,
Put a deposit on a CPO GT4 with 9K miles.....Now i found similar car with 2500 miles. Not sure yet if second car is CPO

How much would you guys attribute to 7000 mileage difference?
Old 12-15-2018, 06:26 PM
orclean1
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

I would put all my money on 2500 car with or without cpo , you can buy a fidelity extended warranty estimated 4 yr at 4000.00 , how much or both cars
Old 12-15-2018, 07:05 PM
jcorderojr
Instructor

Originally Posted by orclean1
I would put all my money on 2500 car with or without cpo , you can buy a fidelity extended warranty estimated 4 yr at 4000.00 , how much or both cars
Basically Im trying to figure out what the "CPO" is worth....I know it costs 2-3K to certify the car but what is that coverage worth to the buyer?

Cars are different:One is plain without buckets or any options while the other has Buckets new tires etc
Old 12-15-2018, 07:12 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by jcorderojr
Basically Im trying to figure out what the "CPO" is worth....I know it costs 2-3K to certify the car but what is that coverage worth to the buyer?

Cars are different:One is plain without buckets or any options while the other has Buckets new tires etc
The price depends on the car and location. Example, my car needed new tires before it could be CPO’d. So that’s $1600 right there. Then there’s labor for the inspection. Four hours of labor in Manhattan costs more then four hours of labor in Cincinnati.

However, I would also go CPO car over aftermarket warranty if you plan on tracking. I’m pretty sure Fidelity won’t cover track use problems. Porsche will, even do it’s written that it won’t specifically in their CPO literature.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:38 PM
jcorderojr
Instructor

Originally Posted by Five12Free

The price depends on the car and location. Example, my car needed new tires before it could be CPO’d. So that’s $1600 right there. Then there’s labor for the inspection. Four hours of labor in Manhattan costs more then four hours of labor in Cincinnati.

However, I would also go CPO car over aftermarket warranty if you plan on tracking. I’m pretty sure Fidelity won’t cover track use problems. Porsche will, even do it’s written that it won’t specifically in their CPO literature.
Any significant difference between 2500 miles and 9000 all other things left aside?
Old 12-15-2018, 07:45 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Any significant difference between 2500 miles and 9000 all other things left aside?
A 10k mile is worth a lot less in a lot of people’s eyes. For what it’s worth, I was offered around $90k by a dealer at couple weeks ago for my $111k MSRP 10k mile car. So it’s lost over 20k in value. I value CPO though, since I track my car. I’m not being stuck with a bill to replace a GT4 transmission when my 3rd gear goes.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:24 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

I would make sure the car you buy has the specs you want. The difference in seats for example change the car significantly. You might be thinking that you’re flexible now and that might change after you buy. Stay true to the car you want!

In my view mileage has had a bigger effect on price than the car. Just guessing but 10k miles is probably 10%, but if you find the spec you want and it happens to have more mileage, the seller might be able to extract higher price because there’s not a ton of these cars in any particular same spec to choose from.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:33 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BioBanker
I would make sure the car you buy has the specs you want. The difference in seats for example change the car significantly. You might be thinking that you’re flexible now and that might change after you buy. Stay true to the car you want!

In my view mileage has had a bigger effect on price than the car. Just guessing but 10k miles is probably 10%, but if you find the spec you want and it happens to have more mileage, the seller might be able to extract higher price because there’s not a ton of these cars in any particular same spec to choose from.
I agree with this... don’t settle. Get everything you want. It’s a buyers market for GT4s. You can get a highly optioned GT4 with CPO for a great price right now if you’re willing to search and haggle.

edit: just for reference, using myself as an example. I bought my GT4 last December (wow a year already). I wanted Carmine Red or Shappire Blue only. I wanted full leather, buckets, Sports Chrono, Black wheels and head lights. I also preferred no mods, one owner and CPO was a must. I started my search in September and called almost every dealership selling a car that was CR or SB. I almost settled for white but finally found my car. I paid $6k under MSRP, which was $111k. My car has some excessive options like illuminated CF door sills and extended dash and door leather. I wasn’t sure on them, but I love them so much now. So don’t settle or you’ll kick yourself later.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:38 PM
GoKart Mozart
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I generally go for the lower miles, but I would not sacrifice certain things I want. CPO is nice, but it costs basically ~$3k to have it done. At the same time, you can extend the warranty through Porsche and from what I was told the only difference is the $100 deductible. The coverage is pretty much the same as far as the warranty is concerned. With that in mind, I feel CPO is slightly overrated, which is why I passed on it. I could have had it done by the sellers dealer, but like I said, $3k. That almost pays for a transmission fix ;-)
Old 12-15-2018, 08:55 PM
jcorderojr
Instructor

Thank you All......I am still undecided on the seats... I have talked to many folks with buckets and there are a lot of mixed feelings about them....
My 2016 Spyder has the standard seats and I like them....
I don't plan to race the car but want to do some instructional track days to become a better driver
Old 12-15-2018, 09:57 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 998 Likes on 515 Posts

I'll add another data point. I just traded my car. Carmine/Black, Buckets, MSRP $117,500 well optioned, CPO till Nov 2021, and 24,000 mi. on the odo. No issues all records. Traded ar $80,000. The market has softened.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:41 PM
Space Coast GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

I like CPO. Guess it mostly gives me peace of mind. I agree with a few of the others: Get the car with the color and features that you like. Personally I would not worry about 2500 or 10,000 miles. These are great and very reliable cars. But I'm sure the seller of the 2,500 mile car has it at a bit of a premium.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:59 PM
jcorderojr
Instructor

Originally Posted by Space Coast GT3
I like CPO. Guess it mostly gives me peace of mind. I agree with a few of the others: Get the car with the color and features that you like. Personally I would not worry about 2500 or 10,000 miles. These are great and very reliable cars. But I'm sure the seller of the 2,500 mile car has it at a bit of a premium.
The 2500 mile car is NOT CPO and is a 92K MSRP so priced under 90K
Old 12-16-2018, 09:33 AM
GoKart Mozart
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Thank you All......I am still undecided on the seats... I have talked to many folks with buckets and there are a lot of mixed feelings about them....
My 2016 Spyder has the standard seats and I like them....
I don't plan to race the car but want to do some instructional track days to become a better driver
I just bought a 3400 mile GT4 with buckets 3 weeks ago. No CPO. So I was in the same boat as you are now. I went for the lower mile car, as there were a few contenders with around 10k miles and CPO, but were asking more money. To me the miles are more important than the CPO, because I won't put more than a few thousand miles per year on the car and the CPO will eventually expire, most likely before I ever need anything repaired, and the miles you can't turn the clock back on, they are "money in the bank" if you will

As far as the bucket seats go, I would not get them if you don't predominantly want the car for track performance. I got them because I know from previous cars that bucket seats make a big difference on the track. You have a much better feel what the car is doing and you won't have to brace yourself during cornering, which all helps make you a better and faster driver, BUT getting in and out of the car is much more difficult and they are NOT comfortable for long trips, if you are even just a little sensitive to lower back issues. I had to drive the car home for 4-5 hours after I bought it, and it became apparent that I won't want to drive more than 2hrs at a time in them. Although I had the same issue in Recaro Sportsters CS seats in my previous track car and made some foam cushions for long trips. So there are ways around it, and if the track performance is important, then they are a must IMO, as long as you know what you are getting in to.

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I'll add another data point. I just traded my car. Carmine/Black, Buckets, MSRP $117,500 well optioned, CPO till Nov 2021, and 24,000 mi. on the odo. No issues all records. Traded ar $80,000. The market has softened.
Agreed, the market has softened, which is why I finally pulled the trigger. It seemed to me that for the ones that were well under 10k miles the price was about 10-15% off MSRP. There aren't a whole lot of them for sale with as many miles as you had, and trading it in is a losing proposition also. I bet you could have gotten mid 80's on a private sale, but it would have taken time of course. Sometimes not worth the hassle.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:53 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

When buying and selling, mileage very much matters in determining value. I wouldn’t hesitate in a higher mileage car as long as you are entering at the right price/pricing in the mileage. I’ve been told the mileage break points are 1k, 5k and 10k. There are simply a bunch of low mileage GT4s (GT cars in general) which seems to drive this value element.

My dealer says its $2800 to CPO a GT4. That doesn’t include any costs the dealer may incur to meet the CPO requirements. I would choose to not have CPO if there was a way to select or not select it but these used cars either have it or not and the associates are then built into the price.

LWBs. Try them and get what you like. If it’s a toss up, get them as they are awesome, very much suit the car and will help with resale.

Quick Reply: GT4 mileage