Sponsored by: APR

MSRP?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 03:53 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 113 Likes on 84 Posts
Default MSRP?

Would you pay MSRP ~$100k, for a low mileage car, under 400 miles? A little under 2 yrs left on the warranty.

Car is well optioned, sport buckets, PCM, full leather w/contrasting stitching.
Planned use is 90% DE (~12-15 days/year), 10% weekend.

I'd like a 718 but I don't think I'll be able to get one at MSRP and besides I don't want to wait.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:13 PM
Craigy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

No.

But if it makes you happy, go for it!
Old 08-29-2018, 04:28 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

I wouldn't but that doesn't stop you from doing it. They can be had for less money.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:34 PM
ZG911
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series

If planned use is mostly for the track then I would not be concerned with buying such a low mileage car. I would spend less on one with more miles and use the savings towards money to set the car up for the track, tires and brakes..
Old 08-29-2018, 04:39 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series
Would you pay MSRP ~$100k, for a low mileage car, under 400 miles? A little under 2 yrs left on the warranty.

Car is well optioned, sport buckets, PCM, full leather w/contrasting stitching.

I'd like a 718 but I don't think I'll be able to get one at MSRP and besides I don't want to wait.
I would if I was planning to keep in and drive it occasionally as a weekend car. But if I was considering 90% DE and 10% Weekend and 10-15 DE days/year I would probably buy the lowest cost GT4 that meets your criteria. Track is very hard on cars paint even if you have clear film - so no reason to pay up for a pristine car, when you are looking for a driver experience.

That being said it is always nice to start with a car that is low mile, one owner and no negative history, that has value as well. If you like it buy it - don't wait, life is short!

One other idea I have is agree on price with seller, then call sales manager or GM of local dealer, ask them to buy the car, CPO it, charge you for that and sell you the car. Then you add 2 years and 50k in added miles to warranty, which will be nice if you decide to sell. Some dealers are happy to do this, other not as much, so you might have to try more than one. They have a cost to CPO, then they can pass on to you and tack on $500 - $1,000 for them and everybody wins!
Old 08-30-2018, 02:09 AM
Gesler
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

If this meets your preferences exactly, MSRP may be reasonable. Based on the large number of cars being listed for sale, you can very likely get a similar car for less than MSRP though.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:02 AM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

I’ll say it again, I’m jealous that US cars are at or even below MSRP.

20% premiums in canada!!!!

Still worth it. Just find the car that stirs you and buy it. Regardless of what MSRP is, I couldnt find a better car for the money. Next GT4 could see a big price bumb - or not - who knows.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:55 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

What year are you looking at?

If it's a 2017 or older... Unless you're going to park this in a barn for the next 50 years, 400 miles is too low (in my opinion). It hasn't passed its break in period and it isn't ready for any performance events, let alone street driving. Seals could be brittle.
How frequently has it been started?
How has it been stored? Tires would be my concern if it hasn't moved.

I've seen many performance cars purchased and parked with less than 1000 miles. A year later, they were driven and started leaking oil. There is a such thing as too low of mileage.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:31 AM
evil panda
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 73 Posts

i think he's looking at GT4's, which are all 2016's. i realize that isn't specified in OP, so i'm assuming

if it's going to be for 90% DE, why pay a lot more for such a pristine example? i'd pay less for a well broken in and maintained car.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:33 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 410 Likes on 295 Posts

Please save this car and use it.

I would be interested in the maintenance- despite the mileage it should have had 2 annual services- oil/filter etc. Also a brake fluid flush at 2 yrs. Tires are probably date code late 2015/ early 16. If you track it regularly you'll be off them soon enough. Were they kept fully inflated? Also check the battery- was it kept on a maintainer? Watch for leaks. Once broken in get as much track time as possible and watch for 3rd gear failure since less than 2 year warranty left.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:15 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

I'm with the other guys -- if it is going to truly be that much track vs. street driving, I'd get the cheapest, highest mileage stripped GT4 I could find, maybe even getting a car with couches and putting an aftermarket seat and harness system in the driver's side. That is a very high percentage of track use, truth be told. You may very well be serious about it, or maybe it's a WAG, or a thought you've had but haven't put to the test yet or something. On the Wrangler forum I frequent people are all the time saying "I want to build this Jeep for 90% street and 10% off-road" thinking they're being accurate, but rare is the current-generation Jeep that gets used off-road for 5000 out of every 50,000 miles.

All that said, I'm not calling you out -- of course there are people who actually buy cars like this and use them almost exclusively for track events, and you may very well be such a person. I guess I'm just asking for clarification, if you have a history of using expensive sportscars in this way or if it's more of a "I'm planning to get into track events and I'll probably do one every weekend for 30 weeks a year" but you haven't actually done that yet?
Old 08-30-2018, 11:50 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I'm with the other guys -- if it is going to truly be that much track vs. street driving, I'd get the cheapest, highest mileage stripped GT4 I could find, maybe even getting a car with couches and putting an aftermarket seat and harness system in the driver's side. That is a very high percentage of track use, truth be told. You may very well be serious about it, or maybe it's a WAG, or a thought you've had but haven't put to the test yet or something. On the Wrangler forum I frequent people are all the time saying "I want to build this Jeep for 90% street and 10% off-road" thinking they're being accurate, but rare is the current-generation Jeep that gets used off-road for 5000 out of every 50,000 miles.

All that said, I'm not calling you out -- of course there are people who actually buy cars like this and use them almost exclusively for track events, and you may very well be such a person. I guess I'm just asking for clarification, if you have a history of using expensive sportscars in this way or if it's more of a "I'm planning to get into track events and I'll probably do one every weekend for 30 weeks a year" but you haven't actually done that yet?
I've been tracking a 997.2 S for almost 5 years and 50+ track days. Before that I was in a M3 doing the same thing and I also instruct. So hopefully I'll to continue with a GT4. I do my own oil, brake fluid, pads and rotor work. GT4 consumables cost more than a 997. I've never worked on a mid-engine car, seems a bit more of hassle to get to things. I try to stick to a "budget". For example, I budget two sets of tires a season (6 months). I run aftermarket Sebro/ATE rotors, those run $100/piece on a 997 and work just fine. I try to restrain myself from modding this and that.

The delta between a super low mileage GT4 and one with say 6,500 miles is only $5-6k. Most of the cars with that mileage I see being advertised for $95k give or take. One dealer has a almost 40k mile GT4 and they are askin $89k which is high to me. Trade in on that is probably 70k on a good day.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:57 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by evil panda
i think he's looking at GT4's, which are all 2016's. i realize that isn't specified in OP, so i'm assuming

if it's going to be for 90% DE, why pay a lot more for such a pristine example? i'd pay less for a well broken in and maintained car.
Yes, 2016 only. If there is a 2017 GT4, it must be 1 of 1 and probably way out of my budget! Well broken in GT4's aren't that much cheaper, maybe 10%.

Originally Posted by zedcat
Please save this car and use it.

I would be interested in the maintenance- despite the mileage it should have had 2 annual services- oil/filter etc. Also a brake fluid flush at 2 yrs. Tires are probably date code late 2015/ early 16. If you track it regularly you'll be off them soon enough. Were they kept fully inflated? Also check the battery- was it kept on a maintainer? Watch for leaks. Once broken in get as much track time as possible and watch for 3rd gear failure since less than 2 year warranty left.
That's another of my concern. What's the consensus on sitting too long? A car that has been sitting for 8yrs, sure, 2 years? I don't know. My mechanic pulled out a 964 he used to run at DE which sat in the corner of his shop for 4+ years. It fired right up and he took it to a DE I was at because his other car needed some maintenance. No issues ( i think all he did was the basics, tires, brk fluid, oil).
Old 08-30-2018, 11:58 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Anyways, just wanted to get a pulse on the market from some enthusiasts. I'm the kind of guy looking for a good value. I'm not looking for the cheapest or buying with just my heart
Old 08-30-2018, 12:12 PM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

What you have found is definitely a good value!

It really depends how the car has been stored, to determine if low mileage should be a concern. If this has been sitting since 2016, I'd be hesitant. At lease until it had a full service update (at the seller's expense). But if this has been started regularly and occasionally moved, then it should be fine. But you'll still want to get through the break in period before pushing it too hard.

Quick Reply: MSRP?