Sponsored by: APR

I looked at a Camaro ZL1 1LE today - talk me off the ledge

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 09:09 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by provoste

Nice lap. Here is me in my stock SS 1LE (200hp less than a ZL1). Only mods are alignment, track pads, and 18” square wheels with 285/645 P-Zero DH’s.

This chassis is insanely capable. Also, speedo is 6% fast due to smaller OD wheels/tires. Vmax was 142 I believe according to my AIM Solo

https://youtu.be/2RvPTkMr7jU

nice lap...just 2 seconds behind my GT4 on those same tires (that you recommended to me last summer Eric!)
At least you went home with 3rd gear intact.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:11 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
Nice lap. Here's my best on R7s. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlsWdR6rIWA

well done. that's flying on "DOT" tires!
Old 07-24-2018, 09:16 PM
provoste
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
nice lap...just 2 seconds behind my GT4 on those same tires (that you recommended to me last summer!)
At least you went home with 3rd gear intact.
thanks, awesome! You have a link to a vid??? Hadn’t seen a GT4 in the 2:02’s yet. HAHAHA, yeah went home with a 6 speed!
Old 07-24-2018, 09:20 PM
provoste
Rennlist Member

well done. that's flying on "DOT" tires!

heck yeah! Nice lap Bill!
Old 07-24-2018, 09:23 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by DNSGT3
I have to ask this... have you driven a ZL1 1LE on the track? ..or ever driven the ZL1 1LE?
Test drove it for like 20-30 min. when shopping. No track...actually never went on a track with any car...not my thing and if I did, I certainly wouldn't trash an expensive car there. I buy cars for daily use. For the same reason, I wouldn't want a GT4 either...actually probably would a camaro before a GT4.

Driving it feels like a completely different experience than a porsche car. It still reminds me of a muscle car boat, but i doesn't handles horrible. Just not as good as a cayman or 911. For me it's an obvious different. I disn't really 'feel' the car whatsoever. Reviews bloat it up too much and I didn't really "get it." It kinda reminded me of a Dodge Charger. It sounds nice and is certainly quick.

At 70K+, it isn't cheap either. I'd want a 70k cayman any day even with no options. I'd want a corvette any day too. Both might be slower and less capable at a track, but I don't care at all. There was nothing that got me excited about a camaro, but corvette grand sport actually had me drool a little, till I realized I hated the MT and the 8 speed auto. I was looking at camaro just to test the 10 speed, but then realized I didn't like the chassis and it's no corvette.

Its got all the numbers and specs, but not a car that I'd buy. I'd be dreaming of a 911 or cayman while driving a Chevy. Track nuts that only care about lap times might think otherwise, but that's okay.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:27 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by provoste

thanks, awesome! You have a link to a vid??? Hadn’t seen a GT4 in the 2:02’s yet. HAHAHA, yeah went home with a 6 speed!

my bad...2:04 is my best in GT4, not 2:02...no video just my ghetto Harrys lap timer.
GT3 on Trofeo R's was 2:02...again my mistake
I remember you saying you and your dad were getting camaro's....looks like you are loving them!
I am getting rid of the GT3 for new RS, but will just keep the stock tires initially.
I am loving those Pirelli DH's though on the GT4

I think 24Chromium may have run 2:03's in a slightly modified GT4, LOL

I went home with a 5 speed!! missing third gear.

Last edited by kfmcmahon; 07-24-2018 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:37 PM
na94
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If Chevy can't seem to make a Corvette survive a trzck day out of the box, how do you think a Camaro will do?

If you need to be talked down from buying one... are you sure you are on the right forum??? =P
Old 07-24-2018, 09:58 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

These type of questions are pointless on any forum,but they are popular. If you say something about one car you will be accused of bias and snobbery towards the other and so on...
Personally I am a strong character and I don't need this type of advice on a public forum,but not everyone is the same and that's ok.
What's funny is that the OP comes back and blasts those that might not share his opinion about the Camaro...on a Porsche forum mind you! Lol. It almost seems like he needs " a push " into the Camaro. Go right ahead! It's probably best to own both I'd say...
IM humble O these cars will never be the same and I absolutely prefer one over the other! And it's not bias or snobbery...it's just how I feel : there's no comparison!
Old 07-24-2018, 10:09 PM
VLJ
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I only called out those who are calling out a weight issue between two cars and talking as though it makes a huge difference when the heavier car is actually the better performer. I'm not blasting anyone, just making note that it seems strange to say "don't buy this car because it weighs too much".
Old 07-24-2018, 10:17 PM
provoste
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neanicu
These type of questions are pointless on any forum,but they are popular. If you say something about one car you will be accused of bias and snobbery towards the other and so on...
Personally I am a strong character and I don't need this type of advice on a public forum,but not everyone is the same and that's ok.
What's funny is that the OP comes back and blasts those that might not share his opinion about the Camaro...on a Porsche forum mind you! Lol. It almost seems like he needs " a push " into the Camaro. Go right ahead! It's probably best to own both I'd say...
IM humble O these cars will never be the same and I absolutely prefer one over the other! And it's not bias or snobbery...it's just how I feel : there's no comparison!
I wouldn’t accuse anyone of snobbery for stating their preference for Porsches. It’s more about knocking other brands and cars they’ve never driven for not being a Porsche and inferior just because of that. I’m a die hard car guy, and I like Porsche’s for that reason. They’re reliable, fast and designed for serious drivers. Fact is, many other marques have modeled that and improved their products as a result, and at MUCH lower entry costs. I’d just challenge you to not write off other seriously LEGIT drivers cars because they aren’t Porsche’s. As someone stated earlier, it’s a great time to be a car guy/gal!
Old 07-24-2018, 10:29 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

They certainly have come a long way and I applaud them for that! That's why I said to buy both if you can. Or one after the other...although this way,you will regret the one you don't have and so on...
In my young days I've posted a similar question on an M3 forum : " Should I buy a Porsche or an M3? " You can imagine the answers I got! Can you guess which one I bought? That's right : I bought both! Lol!
Old 07-24-2018, 10:34 PM
VLJ
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't afford my gt4, a $70k Camaro, and my daily driver all at the same time . Nice idea but not everyone is rich like you.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:44 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by VLJ
I can't afford my gt4, a $70k Camaro, and my daily driver all at the same time . Nice idea but not everyone is rich like you.
You misunderstood,I am not rich. Furthermore I've stated,you can buy one after the other,but in most cases you end up regretting the one you don't own anymore... But life is all about experiences and if you feel you need to experience the Camaro,go right ahead...don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I think many here have given you good advice about both cars and there's enough information to make a decision. Either way,good luck,hope you'll make the best decision for you!
Old 07-24-2018, 10:45 PM
provoste
Rennlist Member

my bad...2:04 is my best in GT4, not 2:02...no video just my ghetto Harrys lap timer.
GT3 on Trofeo R's was 2:02...again my mistake
I remember you saying you and your dad were getting camaro's....looks like you are loving them!
I am getting rid of the GT3 for new RS, but will just keep the stock tires initially.
I am loving those Pirelli DH's though on the GT4

I think 24Chromium may have run 2:03's in a slightly modified GT4, LOL

I went home with a 5 speed!! missing third gear.

Gotcha, that’s awesome! New RS should be unreal, congrats!
Old 07-25-2018, 12:33 AM
bliq00
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what I learned after owning an SVT Cobra 18 years ago- at the end, the car is a $17k car wrapped around a $20k engine. The chassis was designed for a $17k car and there's only so much sophistication you can engineer into a chassis at that price point. It was fast, but it eventually felt like a kid's car. What attracted me to a Porsche was that even the base 997 has the chassis of a $80k car. A lot of engineering can go into that chassis when the entry level car is $80k. With the camaro ZL1 1LE, I'd be afraid of the same sort of thing- that, while fast, all the extra cost is in band-aiding the flaws of a $25k car chassis.

Quick Reply: I looked at a Camaro ZL1 1LE today - talk me off the ledge