Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Any GT4 owners experience high pitch background noise after DSC module installation?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 11:26 PM
yeaayouu
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any GT4 owners experience high pitch background noise after DSC module installation?

feel free to share experience and if it was resolved.

Even if you dont have DSC module you may share as well if this is happening to you.

Thank you in advance.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:51 PM
to_riffic_day
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Hmm......I've heard a high pitched almost electrical noise since I've had one installed, but I never connected the dots to it, but it also helps that the GT3 muffler with catless headers are so loud it drowns it out and I forget it's there!
Old 07-19-2018, 12:00 AM
yeaayouu
Instructor

Originally Posted by to_riffic_day
Hmm......I've heard a high pitched almost electrical noise since I've had one installed, but I never connected the dots to it, but it also helps that the GT3 muffler with catless headers are so loud it drowns it out and I forget it's there!
yes that is exactly it.... man its giving me a headache so I try to turn the music up. (
Old 07-19-2018, 02:26 AM
to_riffic_day
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Have you tried putting back the stock module to see if you hear it anymore?
Old 07-19-2018, 06:53 PM
JRide247
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't notice any noise after DSC installation...
Old 07-20-2018, 10:59 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 969 Likes on 534 Posts

Through doing tech support for DSC I have encountered a small number of cars experiencing high pitch noise. So far they were all 10-year old(or older) 997's. The percentage of cars have been less than 1%. The cause of the noise is a deteriorating speaker wire or ground wire of the sound system(factory or aftermarket) picking up the operating RF(Radio Frequency) from the DSC. In order for DSC to command the shocks with a wider damping dynamic range(full soft to full stiff) it must operate at a higher RF. An un-shielded portion of a wire or deteriorated wire or insufficient grounding of the sound system can pick up this RF and broadcast it on a speaker. Some stereo shops have a RF Noise Leakage Detector that can find the leak. Of the affected cars some had home-installed speakers/wires that the issue were resolved by cleaning up the wiring, some had factory speakers that were going bad, and on one particular the car the owner didn't bother to find leak so he wrap RF shielding foil on the DSC. The latter example was rather unconventional but he resolved the issue nonetheless. So, this has been my experience on RF noise. You could plug the DSC into another car just to see if the noise persist in a different car. If you want to send in your DSC for testing we'll be glad to test it. If there's an issue with the unit its cover by one-year warranty. Please feel free to email me for support: tchan@tpcracing.com

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 07-20-2018, 01:13 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

Never had any issues.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:14 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

So far less than 10 cars have experienced this out of 1000+ cars with DSC. We do know this issue exist and its related to RF noise.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:52 PM
yeaayouu
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
So far less than 10 cars have experienced this out of 1000+ cars with DSC. We do know this issue exist and its related to RF noise.
the thing is that even if the radio is turned off , the sound still exist.....
Old 07-21-2018, 02:58 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by yeaayouu
the thing is that even if the radio is turned off , the sound still exist.....
Yep. RF noise can transform to sound energy when picked up by un-shielded wiring. I didn't know this before I started doing tech support.
DSC can be swap to another car to see if noise persist in a different car. Or send to us for to be tested, will repair or replace within one year warranty period if unit is faulty.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:13 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 118 Posts

At least in 987's there's always a whine. If you search forums you'll see lots of mentions so I'm guessing the wiring/grounds just aren't all that well isolated. I did notice it get worse but I didn't associate it with the DSC. Now that I hear this I'll probably go try the experiment to see if that's an impact.

Tom, for the person that isolated/shielded the DSC, did they do anything more complex than a foil lining?

Shawn
Old 07-23-2018, 05:11 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

The DSC unit is in a plastic case and the OEM unit is aluminium. Maybe a good reason why it's aluminium eh! Sometimes the factory guys get stuff correct. For the record I have a DSC and have no issues.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:02 AM
ducsfly
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

No issues here. DSC works great!
Old 07-27-2018, 03:15 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
At least in 987's there's always a whine. If you search forums you'll see lots of mentions so I'm guessing the wiring/grounds just aren't all that well isolated. I did notice it get worse but I didn't associate it with the DSC. Now that I hear this I'll probably go try the experiment to see if that's an impact.
Not all 987's. There are hundreds of 987's with DSC, very few experience RF noise, sorry yours is one.
Here's some pretty good general info, while not specific to this particular application, it outlines common causes of RF noise in general from audio system and add-on wireless devices-
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-sMQtu8...ion_guide.html

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
Tom, for the person that isolated/shielded the DSC, did they do anything more complex than a foil lining?
In his case he didn't bother to diagnose source of RF leak so he took his chance with RF foil and happened to work for him.

Quick Reply: Any GT4 owners experience high pitch background noise after DSC module installation?