Sponsored by: APR

JNOSOL's GT4 Mods and Notes

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 08:24 AM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Jnosol
Also, it's disappointing the Porsche didn't put stronger 3rd gear on the GT4. After 78 reported cases on RL alone, you would think they'll recall the issue and replace it with stronger parts.
While I think it should be a recall, if the 3 gear does go, I do believe that the new transmission is an updated part (number) from the original unit. I have not heard of any replaced gearboxes under warranty failing again.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:05 AM
PCarOMFS
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Good to know. How's the stiffer spring for the street? Since the strut isn't valved for the stiffer rate, wouldn't that make it bouncy and unstable?

Oh no, I didn't say the GT4 is better than a 991.2 GT3 at all. The 9k RPM bespoke motor, wide body, and crazy torque - C'mon LOL. What I said what the stock GT4 sounds better than a stock GT3, exhaust sound and not engine valve train sound. I said the GT3 is better than the GT4 in my opinion, but it's not $80k better.

I like manual and PDK equally.

Also, it's disappointing the Porsche didn't put stronger 3rd gear on the GT4. After 78 reported cases on RL alone, you would think they'll recall the issue and replace it with stronger parts.
I didn’t install the stiffer springs to test them myself, but I read ride quality is pretty much unchanged. I will say the ride quality is better on the street with the DSC. The car is stiff but it absorbs bumps much better. The DSC is fantastic and I wouldn’t hesitate to do it again. If you have the offset rear toe links from TPC, they will also include a calibration for the DSC that is specifically mapped for those toe links.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:46 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by PCarOMFS

I didn’t install the stiffer springs to test them myself, but I read ride quality is pretty much unchanged. I will say the ride quality is better on the street with the DSC. The car is stiff but it absorbs bumps much better. The DSC is fantastic and I wouldn’t hesitate to do it again. If you have the offset rear toe links from TPC, they will also include a calibration for the DSC that is specifically mapped for those toe links.
That's good to know. DSC V3 with TPC it is on the list. Thank you
Old 06-09-2018, 09:54 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Originally Posted by chillindrdude
While I think it should be a recall, if the 3 gear does go, I do believe that the new transmission is an updated part (number) from the original unit. I have not heard of any replaced gearboxes under warranty failing again.
I hope you're right, but the thread below says otherwise. 78 Single Failure, 6 Double Failures, and 1 Triple Failure.
Based on this, I would advise against any power mods for the GT4 unless you replace the 3rd gear with stronger ones. Porsche is one of the better service companies who stand behind their product, but I'm sure someone is looking at these figures and tightening up on the warranty claims. So if you have power mods, they can "technically" deny your 3rd gear failure warranty claim.

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9614...-database.html
Old 06-09-2018, 12:49 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 998 Likes on 515 Posts

That's good to know. DSC V3 with TPC it is on the list. Thank you
I have it on my car and I'm happy with it. Tom is a good guy to deal with at TPC.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:57 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Thanks for sharing the info. I’m definitely subscribing as I’m seriously looking into trading in my CGTS for a GT4.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:02 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 92 Posts

Wow, not sure what your problem is. You need to chill.
He is upset that his signature photo was called out as a photoshop job. Clearly that car was not in front of that building - it's obvious right? And the Euro tag - photoshop too.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:36 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 120 Posts

Good to know. How's the stiffer spring for the street? Since the strut isn't valved for the stiffer rate, wouldn't that make it bouncy and unstable?

Oh no, I didn't say the GT4 is better than a 991.2 GT3 at all. The 9k RPM bespoke motor, wide body, and crazy torque - C'mon LOL. What I said what the stock GT4 sounds better than a stock GT3, exhaust sound and not engine valve train sound. I said the GT3 is better than the GT4 in my opinion, but it's not $80k better.

I like manual and PDK equally.

I stand corrected
Old 06-09-2018, 09:25 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Congrats on the new GT4! Totally agree on the GT4 winning the fun/$ ratio over the GT3. There is so much more performance than can be used on public roads in either car that I really value the light feeling and mid-engine handling of the GT4 that you can appreciate all the time over the added grip, power, and capability you get with the GT3 which at least where I live I would rarely get to enjoy.

As for the transmission, I see it more as a lottery, a bad one, than an inevitability since it seems to be related to a batch of bad transmissions and build dates. As there's nothing you can do about it and no way to tell if you have a potentially bad one, you might as well just enjoy the car and not worry about it. I have a 9/15 build with over 15k miles, over 5k with over 460hp on the stock tranny, and things have been solid but if 3rd goes that'll be a great opportunity to go to a shorter gear stack
Old 06-09-2018, 10:46 PM
G-forceGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Welcome Jimmy & thanks for your review & thoughts on the car.

Your comments make me feel a little less hard done by, for not getting a .2 GT3 allocation in MT. Having had high power 911 turbos in the past & being fairly comfortable with the 911 chassis, I was somewhat apprehensive getting the GT4. Now that I've had one for a while, I'm so happy with the car.

With the mid engine configuration, It's such a fun car to drive (really is go cart like), and the sense of control with high speed & cornering is just awesome.

With a couple friends who own GT3's & having a sense of these cars, another thing I really love about the car is the smaller cabin.

It's great that the Rennlist community has really discussed extensively, how the car can be even further improved. Thanks everyone!!!
Old 06-10-2018, 03:41 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

Regarding the transmission, mine went (at around 5000kms, car now has 10000kms) and was replaced in about about a week with a loaner provided (fun little Macan which was quite "used" when I gave it back). You can still drive the car OK with 3rd gone so it's not as if you're stuck. There have been zero failures I know of with the replacement box and you get a brand new LSD to boot so not so bad really. Given Porsche just the replace the box no questions asked regardless of mods you may have made I don't see the issue. If they did a recall you'd get about the same level of disruption and reality is most the tranys will last the life of the car; its a failure of the friction weld on the shaft and its the same type of gear fixation used since the 993 in Getrag boxes.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:02 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Warwick Morris
Regarding the transmission, mine went (at around 5000kms, car now has 10000kms) and was replaced in about about a week with a loaner provided (fun little Macan which was quite "used" when I gave it back). You can still drive the car OK with 3rd gone so it's not as if you're stuck. There have been zero failures I know of with the replacement box and you get a brand new LSD to boot so not so bad really. Given Porsche just the replace the box no questions asked regardless of mods you may have made I don't see the issue. If they did a recall you'd get about the same level of disruption and reality is most the tranys will last the life of the car; its a failure of the friction weld on the shaft and its the same type of gear fixation used since the 993 in Getrag boxes.

^^can you expound further on this?
Old 06-10-2018, 08:06 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,098 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
^^can you expound further on this?
I was under the impression that the 981 trans had a spline on third then went to a fusion weld? At least that's what the forum members that are supposed to be familiar with the 981 gearbox say?? Not true? Same weld as used for the 993 that goes back to 95? I had a 993 TT tracked the sh-t out of it and no gearbox issues 400ft lb ? carl
Old 06-10-2018, 11:39 PM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

I'm sure GT Gears could expand but that that's as I understand it. I think a friction weld is where the shaft is cooled in liquid N and the gear heated and then cooled so it's an interference fit and if the heating or cooling or machining is just off a bit then the weld can fail. I think the upgraded gears from GT Gears may have spline but 993 boxes for sure used fusion/friction welds.
The following users liked this post:
ackrepps (08-13-2023)
Old 06-10-2018, 11:54 PM
Jnosol
Pro

Originally Posted by aryork
He is upset that his signature photo was called out as a photoshop job. Clearly that car was not in front of that building - it's obvious right? And the Euro tag - photoshop too.
Too funny

Originally Posted by ajw45
Congrats on the new GT4! Totally agree on the GT4 winning the fun/$ ratio over the GT3. There is so much more performance than can be used on public roads in either car that I really value the light feeling and mid-engine handling of the GT4 that you can appreciate all the time over the added grip, power, and capability you get with the GT3 which at least where I live I would rarely get to enjoy.

As for the transmission, I see it more as a lottery, a bad one, than an inevitability since it seems to be related to a batch of bad transmissions and build dates. As there's nothing you can do about it and no way to tell if you have a potentially bad one, you might as well just enjoy the car and not worry about it. I have a 9/15 build with over 15k miles, over 5k with over 460hp on the stock tranny, and things have been solid but if 3rd goes that'll be a great opportunity to go to a shorter gear stack
Looks like I won the tranny failure lottery, lol. Will explain once my dealer replace the tranny.

Originally Posted by Warwick Morris
What I meant was why didn't Porsche "upgrade" the part in the replacement process. Like Holinger gear. On RL alone 78 failures, 6 double failures, and 1 triple failure. The 78 is now 79. Thank God I don't have any power mods or running non-Porsche approved tires.
Do I get new clutch and flywheel?

Quick Reply: JNOSOL's GT4 Mods and Notes