Sponsored by: APR

Help with CTEK charger error code

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 04:49 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 174 Posts
Default Help with CTEK charger error code

Just picked up a CTEK 3300 battery charger/maintainer for the car. I read the instructions and hooked it up. Initially the amber "battery charging" light glowed steadily, as it should. After several hours, it then transitioned to the green "fully charged / maintenance charging" light, which is also correct function. When it transitioned to fully charged, however, the amber light is now blinking. So the green "fully charged" LED is steadily lit while the amber "battery charging" LED continually blinks. Seems like it's trying to tell me something about a potential error or issue, but I can't find an explanation for this particular LED combo in the CTEK manual, on the CTEK website, or after an extensive google search. I double checked all connections, verified that the electric outlet is good, and tried the adapter in both the center console cig lighter and the passenger footwell 12V outlet. Same thing. I emailed CTEK to ask them, but it's been radio silence from them so far. Anyone have any idea what this means?

Last edited by paradocs98; 03-10-2018 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:23 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Unplug, wait 15 secs then plug in.

Next time, consider upgrading to the modern MUS 4.3 or 5.0, yours only has 3.3 Amps charging and two fewer modes
Old 03-13-2018, 07:52 AM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Perimeter
Unplug, wait 15 secs then plug in.

Next time, consider upgrading to the modern MUS 4.3 or 5.0, yours only has 3.3 Amps charging and two fewer modes
I’ve tried unplugging and replugging a few times, but it always ends up with this same status of green maintenance charge LED lit while amber charging LED blinks continuously. Normally I would be reluctant to solve a problem by just buying another unit, but at $60 on Amazon, I’m willing to give that a try. Just ordered the newer MUS 4.3. At least that has more status lights to potentially pinpoint the issue if there is indeed a problem with the GT4 battery. The one thing I haven’t tried is plugging the charger into my Audi to see if it results in the same LED sequence. Will try that as well.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:15 AM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi. This has to do with the way your car is programmed to disconnect accessory outlets after some time of the engine being off. There is a reflash available for the car which will allow the accessory socket(s) to remain hot, so a charger will be able to keep a car fully charged. My car was like yours, and my chargers acted up like yours, till I got the reflash.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:12 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Upon shutdown of my GT4 I would insert the CTEK cig lighter connector into my center console cig Ltr and it would only would charge for a short while (~20 mins).
Carlos Barela at Chandler Porsche researched it and then found the WG38 upgrade keeps the interface active, installed it so all works now
Old 03-13-2018, 01:48 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Joe Weinstein
Hi. This has to do with the way your car is programmed to disconnect accessory outlets after some time of the engine being off. There is a reflash available for the car which will allow the accessory socket(s) to remain hot, so a charger will be able to keep a car fully charged. My car was like yours, and my chargers acted up like yours, till I got the reflash.
Upon shutdown of my GT4 I would insert the CTEK cig lighter connector into my center console cig Ltr and it would only would charge for a short while (~20 mins).
Carlos Barela at Chandler Porsche researched it and then found the WG38 upgrade keeps the interface active, installed it so all works now
Aha! Now we're getting somewhere. So my options are to either get the WG38 service update, or just plug the CTEK directly to the battery with the battery connector.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:16 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Update: I connected the CTEK directly to the car battery with the pigtail adapter, plugged in the unit and let it sit for a day. Voila! It charged correctly, and now it's happy with a steady green "maintenance charge" LED and nothing else. My error code was due to the cigarette lighter outlet and footwell accessory outlet both disconnecting themselves from power after a certain amount of time, just as Perimeter and Joe W said. Thanks, guys! Now I just have to figure out if I should be using the standard "car" setting on the CTEK or the AGM/cold setting. Old threads on rennlist and 6speedonline show that some GT4s have a more modern AGM-type battery, while others have a standard lead acid battery. Banner-branded batteries appear to be AGM, but mine is an Exide. I can't determine if the Exide is standard lead-acid or AGM. Any ideas?
Old 03-15-2018, 06:07 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by paradocs98
I can't determine if the Exide is standard lead-acid or AGM. Any ideas?
Exide
Old 03-16-2018, 10:59 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
Yeah, thanks. Already tried the site. Plug in 2016, then Porsche, then Cayman, and you get no further options—just a “no battery for your chosen application” message. And a google search of “2016 Porsche GT4 OEM battery” produces nothing related to the brand or type of OEM battery.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:45 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Yeah, thanks. Already tried the site. Plug in 2016, then Porsche, then Cayman, and you get no further options—just a “no battery for your chosen application” message. And a google search of “2016 Porsche GT4 OEM battery” produces nothing related to the brand or type of OEM battery.
Look at the PN on your actual battery and see if they list it.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:02 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 606 Likes on 415 Posts

See below my question to CTEK about 6 weeks ago and their response regarding which mode to use to charge the AGM type batteries:

Question:
I have the MUS 4.3 charger. My Porsche battery is a type VRLA AGM battery.Which charging mode of the MUS 4.3 should I use for this type of AGM battery?
Response (pasted as-is from their email):
Hi,
This is a question that has been escalating nowadays.Today there are so many different battery manufacturers and battery models, and recommendations can vary. Most AGM- batteries are recommended to charge with normal 14.4V voltage. Some AGM- batteries and Ca-Ca batteries require 14.7V for best treatment. Unfortunately, it is not possible keep all different batteries charging recommendations up to date, so we need to ask you to turn to the battery manufacturer yourself to get the correct information If that cannot be done, you always can charge with normal option, 14.4V, as this suits most lead/acid batteries, also GEL, EFB, AGM, etc., etc.So, if you cannot find any information, use “normal” as it is worse to charge with too high voltage than with a bit too low.
regards, CTEK Support Team
Old 03-18-2018, 04:53 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by okie981
See below my question to CTEK about 6 weeks ago and their response regarding which mode to use to charge the AGM type batteries:

Question:
I have the MUS 4.3 charger. My Porsche battery is a type VRLA AGM battery.Which charging mode of the MUS 4.3 should I use for this type of AGM battery?
Response (pasted as-is from their email):
Hi,
This is a question that has been escalating nowadays.Today there are so many different battery manufacturers and battery models, and recommendations can vary. Most AGM- batteries are recommended to charge with normal 14.4V voltage. Some AGM- batteries and Ca-Ca batteries require 14.7V for best treatment. Unfortunately, it is not possible keep all different batteries charging recommendations up to date, so we need to ask you to turn to the battery manufacturer yourself to get the correct information If that cannot be done, you always can charge with normal option, 14.4V, as this suits most lead/acid batteries, also GEL, EFB, AGM, etc., etc.So, if you cannot find any information, use “normal” as it is worse to charge with too high voltage than with a bit too low.
regards, CTEK Support Team
Very helpful--thanks!
Old 03-19-2018, 02:32 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Update: I connected the CTEK directly to the car battery with the pigtail adapter, plugged in the unit and let it sit for a day. Voila! It charged correctly, and now it's happy with a steady green "maintenance charge" LED and nothing else.

My error code was due to the cigarette lighter outlet and footwell accessory outlet both disconnecting themselves from power after a certain amount of time, just as Perimeter and Joe W said. Thanks, guys! Now I just have to figure out if I should be using the standard "car" setting on the CTEK or the AGM/cold setting. Old threads on rennlist and 6speedonline show that some GT4s have a more modern AGM-type battery, while others have a standard lead acid battery. Banner-branded batteries appear to be AGM, but mine is an Exide. I can't determine if the Exide is standard lead-acid or AGM. Any ideas?
My WG38 upgrade was free as I also went in for an oil change and they were able to do it during then.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:01 AM
Ohyeahs
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for sharing this info. I have been using a CTEK MUS 4.3 without issues on my Boxster but recently got a GT4 and the charger was erroring out on the GT4. I thought I may need a new battery but luckily saw this thread, connected the CTEK directly to the battery and full charge and no error. Sounds like I need to get the WG38 update.

Last edited by Ohyeahs; 11-11-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:56 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 180 Posts

I run CTEK leads from the battery, to avoid any accessory outlet or interior mice access issues;
https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9321...l#post14689773

Quick Reply: Help with CTEK charger error code