Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT4 Trailering Info (My experience and specs for the intimidated)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 02:01 AM
gtreddy
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default GT4 Trailering Info (My experience and specs for the intimidated)

Skip to II+ if you only what specs and no backstory. Long story short, it's not as difficult as I anticipated.

I-Rationalle:
So, I’ve had the GT4 for almost 2 years and I’m going to COTA for the PCA event this weekend. Last year I drove. I figured I might want to trailer this time. But to be honest, the info available on here here typically are a bit vague and combined with the info about glide angle, it seems to be a bit intimidating. I know I was. But, after doing some maths, this is what I found, and his hopefully helpful to some that may feel equally intimidated. The race ramp website calculations always told me I needed to have something special made and didn’t really provide any value to me. For sure I could have been using it wrong, but it is what it is.

II-Key specs of my rented trailer:
  • MaxxxD Trailer
  • 20’ trailer flat bed with dove tail
  • 2’ dove tail at end of 18’ flat bed
  • Flat bed is 19” off ground when parallel to ground
  • Dove tail is 17” off ground when flat bed is parallel to ground (2” drop on dove tail over 2’
  • 5’ ramps 2” thickness
III-Key car dimensions:
I used this thread for dimensions and for my car they were pretty similar. Post #7
https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9239...r-trailer.html

That being said, the actual measurements from my car came to 36” from the bottom of the front tire to the very front of the front bumper. My ground clearance was 4”. So the glide angle calc was roughly the same as the thread above. ~6.5 deg.

IV-Method/Wood Ramp/Rhino Ramp Specs:
I used 5” Rhino ramps for my truck. Basically I backed my truck up onto the ramps (picture attached). The 5” ramps netted a 4” decrease in the trailer height. So now I was looking at a 13” height. I did more calculations that any human should ever do for temporary wooden ramps, but I just wanted to make sure before I committed to trailering. With the dimensions stated after using rhino ramps, I figured a 10ft ramp should suffice at a 6 deg glide angle. So made a 12x2X6 ramp with 6” overlapping (cut a slit) underneath the 5 foot ramps that came with the trailer. I then placed a 4x4 under the 12x2 at the very end. Key concept is that it needs to be place at the end of the 12x2, otherwise, as you drive up, it may rotate the board (pictures of setup attached). So the final dimensions, was a 10.5’ combined ramp (5’ ramp + 5.5’ un-overlapped wood).

V-Conclusion:
So, what I ended up with are the pictures below. I have never pulled up a car so easily onto a trailer. I know this post may seem a bit stupid, but since I tend to overthink a lot, I figure giving some hard dimensions (which may exist, but I couldn’t find or consolidate into useful specs) combined with what worked for me might help people be a bit less intimated to trailer their car. So if anything is unclear, let me know.

(Sorry, for the bad pics and grammar. It was night by the time I could attempt the loading and I'm tired, but figured if I didn't do this know with the dimension in my head, I wouldn't ever do it. The short 12x2 that are perpendicular to the longer one on the passenger side was not needed during loading so ignore it.)

Rhino Ramps I used to back my truck onto (I know it's hard to see, but will give you the gist of what I did):

The pieces of wood I used. I cut a 6" notch at the end of the 12x2 so I could put it under the 5' trailer ramp:

SUCCESS!:
Old 03-01-2018, 09:42 AM
Jaybird33
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 22 Posts

Got the job done.

For what its worth I use race ramps RR-TR 11. Its a standard size, not custom like their website suggested. My car is lowered 12mm, and my BigTex CH60 trailer is 19inch at tge rear without a dove tail and 4ft ramps. At $600 the race ramps seem pricey, but they earn their keep being light, purpose built, and durable. Makes sense if you trailer often.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:57 AM
gtreddy
Instructor

If I owned a trailer, I would probably have some. But I tow so infrequently, that I can’t justify them.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:33 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

That looks very tight opening the door over the fender.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:55 PM
gtreddy
Instructor

Originally Posted by ExMB
That looks very tight opening the door over the fender.
not as much as you’d expect. The door can open above the fender to the first notch, which is enough room to get out.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:23 PM
m3bs
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts

Thanks for posting this info. I’m looking hard at picking up a GT4 and was wondering what it would take to load it on my trailer for track days.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:00 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 224 Posts

Nice write up OP. Great details!

I use these Race Ramps... https://www.summitracing.com/parts/BTI-RR-TR-5

I tried to build my own. Looked like DIY crap.

Seems like I need about 50' of parking space to load / unload with the new long bed Tundra, the trailer, it's ramps and then the race ramps.

I have to remove the trailer fender to get in and out of the GT4.

Attachment 1351251
Old 03-11-2018, 10:20 PM
never enuf
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For comparison... I went with a tilt trailer and ramps.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:24 AM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 174 Posts

Good info—thanks for posting.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:07 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
Nice write up OP. Great details! ...I have to remove the trailer fender to get in and out of the GT4.
Geo: did you measure your tongue weight with your set-up?
Old 03-13-2018, 04:50 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by aryork
Geo: did you measure your tongue weight with your set-up?
No, not yet. I suck, I know. Totally irresponsible of me. Just going off butt feel. Tundra tows strong and I've tried to move it back a bit on the trailer. Didn't feel a difference.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:03 AM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
I have to remove the trailer fender to get in and out of the GT4.
This is a pretty common problem. In my enclosed trailer, I screwed some 1x10 to the floor. I needed two sections together (I guess that's 1.5" total thickness) for the door to clear the fender wheel wells.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:20 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

Here's a photo of my GT4 loaded on a Trailex 7541. I use 4" high Race Ramps and the standard trailer ramps. The doors clear the trailer fenders.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:54 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
Here's a photo of my GT4 loaded on a Trailex 7541. I use 4" high Race Ramps and the standard trailer ramps. The doors clear the trailer fenders.
Bill - have you measured your tongue weight? Looks like the CG of the car is near the rear trailer axle. Might be light, but I suppose you have driven it like that. Any issues with swaying?
Old 03-15-2018, 01:36 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

I have not measured tongue weight but I have no sway. Towed my 987.1 for several years with the same trailer and setup, starting my third year with the GT4.

Quick Reply: GT4 Trailering Info (My experience and specs for the intimidated)