Sponsored by: APR

?? Fun driving roads & routes in N. California

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 09:20 PM
G-forceGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts
Default ?? Fun driving roads & routes in N. California

As a CDN guy who's fortunate enough to visit Mendocino county in Northern California, I'm interested in scenic driving adventures. I like the north coast b/c it's fairly calm as far as road traffic goes.
Could any fellow Rennlister's suggest, some favourite winding roads in Northern Cal or the Bay area, that are great driving experiences?
I've read some posts of guys who linked up at Alice's from Bay area, as a nice drive, although I'm uncertain which route they used or where that is.

Some of the nice areas I've already driven with a friend include:
Pacific coast #1Hwy from ~ Mendocino to Point arena or going even farther south to Bodega Bay then across into Sonoma, & over to Santa Rosa.
Exiting off US 101 by Cloverdale on to Hwy #128 & going west through Anderson valley wine country to the coast US #1 Hwy.
Hwy #253 just outside of Boonville over to Ukiah

It's been a bitter cold winter in Canada & the GT4's been hibernating.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
Old 02-18-2018, 03:53 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Suggest you reach out to RL'ers golfnutintib as well as ChrisF. Those two will hook you up as far as roads in the north bay!

Alice's Restaurant is on HWY 35 (aka Skyline), at the intersection of HWY 84. A great drive is to start at the northern end of HWY 35 (at HWY 92) and take it south till HWY 9 and then take HWY 9 south to Santa Cruz.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:34 AM
arsxs04
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HWY 88 by Kirkwood Ski Resort. One of the best scenic roads in America in my opinion. Also just newly paved.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:48 AM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Hunt up a road atlas designed for motorcycle touring! They like twisties too.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:18 AM
PRNDL
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Highway 128 between the coast and Cloverdale is highly recommended, especially the Booneville-to-Cloverdale section. (Booneville-to-Ukiah, not so much). Lots of wineries and craft beer in the Anderson Valley. Also recommended is from Cloverdale south on Dutcher Road to Dry Creek Road. Circle around Dry Creek Valley CCW and end up in Healdsburg to eat. North out of Healdsburgh to Anderson Valley Road (stop at the Jimtown Store) through the beautiful Anderson Valley and then over the hills on Hwy 128 South into Calistoga in the Napa Valley. Highway 29 North out of Calistoga takes you out of the Napa Valley to Middletown and then Highway 175 north through Lake County and back to Hwy 101, where you can scoot back North to Mendocino or South to San Francisco Bay Area.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:45 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by GregWormald
Hunt up a road atlas designed for motorcycle touring! They like twisties too.
Yep. Butler Motorcycle Maps.

Here
Old 02-18-2018, 03:05 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Go to Pashnit motorcycle tours website and go to the Northern Coast page. Lots of great roads between Mendocino and SF. Alice's and the roads around that area are a long drive from Mendocino, as are the Tahoe area roads. Both areas have some great roads but they are not day trips.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:55 PM
G-forceGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for the great suggestions guys! Really appreciated. I'm heading down to the area in mid March for couple weeks, & have the GT4 hibernating in a friends garage, ready to go.

I'll check out the motorcycle tours website & gets some recommended routes.

Last fall I was driving the #128 outside of Cloverdale going towards Boonville & followed some very brave souls on sport/touring bikes, which was good fun. Not being all that familiar with the road, I backed off a bit b/c the guys were blazing. I passed them in Boonville while they were fueling up. : )
Old 02-19-2018, 12:39 AM
Eric S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default HWY 36

Don't see one of the best Nor Cal drives listed here.

Fortuna to Red Bluff on HWY 36 is not to be missed
Old 02-19-2018, 11:10 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by G-forceTarga4S
As a CDN guy who's fortunate enough to visit Mendocino county in Northern California, I'm interested in scenic driving adventures. I like the north coast b/c it's fairly calm as far as road traffic goes.
Could any fellow Rennlister's suggest, some favourite winding roads in Northern Cal or the Bay area, that are great driving experiences?
I've read some posts of guys who linked up at Alice's from Bay area, as a nice drive, although I'm uncertain which route they used or where that is.

Some of the nice areas I've already driven with a friend include:
Pacific coast #1Hwy from ~ Mendocino to Point arena or going even farther south to Bodega Bay then across into Sonoma, & over to Santa Rosa.
Exiting off US 101 by Cloverdale on to Hwy #128 & going west through Anderson valley wine country to the coast US #1 Hwy.
Hwy #253 just outside of Boonville over to Ukiah

It's been a bitter cold winter in Canada & the GT4's been hibernating.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
I lived in Santa Rosa for a few years and you've found two great roads; hwy128 is always on Road & Tracks Top USA drives list and Hwy253 has some great unweighting hilltops for excitement.

As a suggestion, explore any of the Coastal access back roads. Once I had a great drive from Healdsburg through Dry Creek up and past the Sonoma Dam all the way to Stewarts point at the Coast. Almost no traffic but some low points in the road,great adventure passing from the grassy oak fields to the lush coastline forests then breaking out to the Sea for a Coastal run home
!

Quick Reply: ?? Fun driving roads & routes in N. California