718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 12:04 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by pothole
I disagree fairly violently!

The new car could have identical peak torque, and still feel completely different if that torque is produced higher up the rev range. Based on the numbers seen so far, I expect the new engine to have significantly more top end sparkle, which is what the original lack. It doesn't need any additional torque whatosever. It just needs a different style of power delivery. Which it looks as though it is getting.

How about disagreeing vehemently instead of violently. We really don't need more violence in the world, especially when we're discussing sports cars. :-)

Last edited by HelpMeHelpU; 01-04-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:48 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by pothole
I disagree fairly violently!

The new car could have identical peak torque, and still feel completely different if that torque is produced higher up the rev range. Based on the numbers seen so far, I expect the new engine to have significantly more top end sparkle, which is what the original lack. It doesn't need any additional torque whatosever. It just needs a different style of power delivery. Which it looks as though it is getting.
Originally Posted by Selo
If it feels completely different, then it has a completely different character, and I agree that could be a good reason to purchase the new car. On the other hand, where do you drive your car that you are able to explore the top end so thoroughly? We have some nice mountain roads in New Mexico, and I'm pretty sure we're one of the lesser populated states in this country, but not many places where I can legally let the top end sparkle.
Yes to both! IMHO the x51 engine feels completely different and has loads more character. I picked up a bunch of hp but not a ton of torque with the X51 and the added top end is awesome. However, with the already long gearing it's hard find many places outside the track to enjoy it. I imagine it's no different with a GT3....
Old 01-04-2019, 01:11 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Check out the GT4 Clubsport thread - CJ is posting some good info over there
Old 01-04-2019, 01:17 PM
Yellow Submarine
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

I visited my Porsche dealer this afternoon here in Belgium. The salesman is assuring me the GT4 street car will be a 4.0L and have a manual gearbox. He seemed pretty certain of himself.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:31 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1

my cleaning lady spy in flaut says that they rather PDK this time around. That way customers can beat on them trouble free like we do in the Club sports. So that leaves me wondering What happens to the manual??
I assume it would still have to be an option for those sunday drivers who like to row gears after driving a pickup to work all week.

Porsche want the same engine in the street
car as the race car. Hence they call the street car a “GT4”. They want the success of the race car to market the street car.
If they were to give the street car a totally different engine, then they wouldnt bother calling it a “GT4”. Porsche also didnt sandbag the race car with a 3.8L only to give the street car a stroked 4.0L

What's the limited slip diff on the 718 gt4 cs now if you can say? is it still a fixed locking ratio diff or one of the fancy new electro-hydraulic variable ratio things? the old 981 gt4 cs was on a fixed diff despite the dual clutch gearbox iirc.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:31 PM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
my cleaning lady spy in flaut says that they rather PDK this time around. That way customers can beat on them trouble free like we do in the Club sports.
Thank you for that information, looks like I'll be ordering a 982 Spyder to replace 981 BGTS I ordered with PDK. Lack of a PDK option kept me away from GT4 / 981 Spyder. PDK is faster / zero overrevs … hope lizard green is available as a paint option.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:04 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,164 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
For me that just moved from the US to Europe.

Most trackdays I attend and tourist drives at the Ring demands the car to be street legal. A lot of us end up buying street legal gt3, gt3rs and Gt4s and modify the cars so we end up with half a car in boxes before it handles to our liking.
Ask Manthey racing how many street cars they modify every year.
A modified gt4cs “trackday” edition would be very welcomed and would save a lot of hassle and work.
Porsche has a majority stake in Manthey, they are the quasi factory team.

All Porsche GT race cars go through them for final prep. Basically whatever they do to a car, it's 'factory' approved.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:12 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
IIRC even in a street version PDK 7th gear was electronicly locked by using Sport Plus. How is that different from the CS version which is locked into Sport Plus AFAIK?
The race car isn't in 'Sport Plus' mode.

In a street car, 'Sport Plus' mode will hold lower gears until it redlines, in the preview ClubSport, it doesn't hold gears, it upshifts in partial throttles. The logic is sometimes annoying but can be fixed by moving the shift lever to manual mode and just use the paddles.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:17 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Five12Free

all valid reasons why a guy who might historically have opted to buy a street car and build it for DE duty might just say f it and spend the coin on the real deal from Weissach in the form of the track day club sport. Surely that was Porsche’s intention?
That's exactly the reason why they made the 1st gen ClubSport. It wasn't built to any series in the beginning.

Then SRO realized they could build a series out of it. A cheaper race series, but then McLaren, AMG ruins it by detuning their GT3 cars to get them to the GT4 class. Porsche had to get the MR then EVO kit out, and now a gen 2 car with more HP just to stay in the game.

The rest is history.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:18 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Barring any last minute changes again, there will be 3 more street car versions after the race car. The range topper is the one with the higher displacement.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:21 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Barring any last minute changes again, there will be 3 more street car versions after the race car. The range topper is the one with the higher displacement.

If only RS models weren't PDK only.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:26 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 104 Posts

Spyder, GT4, GT4RS

Wow. Ok so my guess:

Spyder - 3.8L (Same as CS) 6MT 1st, then PDK
GT4 - 3.8L (Same as CS) 6MT 1st, then PDK
GT4RS - 4.0L??? PDK only $$$$$$$ 918 buyers first dibs - fat markups for regular joes.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:29 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellow Submarine
I visited my Porsche dealer this afternoon here in Belgium. The salesman is assuring me the GT4 street car will be a 4.0L and have a manual gearbox. He seemed pretty certain of himself.
He'd tell you his mother has a 14 inch **** if he thought you'd believe it and it would get you to buy a car. He's a salesman.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:31 PM
Knutsm01
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 92 Posts

2 in 2019 and 1 in 2020?
Old 01-04-2019, 02:42 PM
FazedChicken
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by bk_911
Spyder, GT4, GT4RS

Wow. Ok so my guess:

Spyder - 3.8L (Same as CS) 6MT 1st, then PDK
GT4 - 3.8L (Same as CS) 6MT 1st, then PDK
GT4RS - 4.0L??? PDK only $$$$$$$ 918 buyers first dibs - fat markups for regular joes.
Agree with most of this except I don't really think they'll add PDK later to the 3.8L cars. Is there history of them doing this for any previous models (without doing a .2 refresh like the GT3).

I hope all 3 cars are shown in 2019. Waiting until 2020 to see the RS would be painful.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?