Old 11-13-2017, 12:26 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

MEASURE ROTORS OFF THE CAR

Excellent results, thanks for sharing!
Originally Posted by ajw45
Update!

Went back to the same dealer and asked them to remove the rear rotors and measure them again. The service manager asked me 3 times if I was really sure I wanted to do it and even called the lead tech since they all thought it was a waste of time and I might be a little off in the head. However, after assuring them that if the numbers came back exactly the same I wouldn't freak out and that I would pay the tab either way the took the car....

New numbers!

Rotor---Max----On Car----Off Car----Min---New % Worn
LR-------55-----47.7-------52.5-------42----19.2
LR-------56-----49.0-------53.9-------43----16.2
LR-------53-----45.4-------50.4-------41----20

RR-------57-----49.4-------53.9-------43----22.1
RR-------54-----46.7-------51.0-------41----23.1
RR-------58-----50.6-------54.8-------44----22.9

The good news is there is a massive difference with the rotors off the car and the new readings came out to about 21% worn, less than half as bad as the original reading. If anyone is getting their PCCBs measured, definitely have them pulled off the car and thank you to everyone that suggested it.

I'm not upset that they didn't do this the first time since they didn't actually charge me for the first measurements and they are just looking to make sure the rotors are in spec vs trying to geek out and measure wear rates. However, I do wonder how many owners have had to buy new PCCBs due to misreads. I would be PISSED if I spent $10k on PCCBs cause the tech didn't measure the rotors correctly and tossed a perfectly good set of rotors in the trash.

The rate of wear on the rears is still more than double that of the fronts even with the latest readings. That still concerns me but given the front rotors weren't measured off the car and the voodoo in measuring these things, who knows what the real rate is. I'll check again next year but if the wear rate is linear and I can go 20+ years just replacing a rear set of PCCBs that sounds like a good deal to me.

Originally Posted by kkakonn
Thanks for sharing the info! Just recently got into a gt4 that came with pccb's. Also a track enthusiast (plan on going 8-10 times a year) Wonder if it makes sense just to change out to some steel rotors. Although I really do love how the CCB's perform on the track
I love the braking bite "attack" and pressure throughout braking on PCCBs.
Would not want to give that up.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:13 AM
DK7
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

Is the stock GT4 PCCB good enough for track and reliable?
Or is better pads and brake fluid required?
Old 07-08-2020, 10:22 PM
IPSA
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by ajw45
Update!

Went back to the same dealer and asked them to remove the rear rotors and measure them again. The service manager asked me 3 times if I was really sure I wanted to do it and even called the lead tech since they all thought it was a waste of time and I might be a little off in the head. However, after assuring them that if the numbers came back exactly the same I wouldn't freak out and that I would pay the tab either way the took the car....

New numbers!

Rotor---Max----On Car----Off Car----Min---New % Worn
LR-------55-----47.7-------52.5-------42----19.2
LR-------56-----49.0-------53.9-------43----16.2
LR-------53-----45.4-------50.4-------41----20

RR-------57-----49.4-------53.9-------43----22.1
RR-------54-----46.7-------51.0-------41----23.1
RR-------58-----50.6-------54.8-------44----22.9

The good news is there is a massive difference with the rotors off the car and the new readings came out to about 21% worn, less than half as bad as the original reading. If anyone is getting their PCCBs measured, definitely have them pulled off the car and thank you to everyone that suggested it.

I'm not upset that they didn't do this the first time since they didn't actually charge me for the first measurements and they are just looking to make sure the rotors are in spec vs trying to geek out and measure wear rates. However, I do wonder how many owners have had to buy new PCCBs due to misreads. I would be PISSED if I spent $10k on PCCBs cause the tech didn't measure the rotors correctly and tossed a perfectly good set of rotors in the trash.

The rate of wear on the rears is still more than double that of the fronts even with the latest readings. That still concerns me but given the front rotors weren't measured off the car and the voodoo in measuring these things, who knows what the real rate is. I'll check again next year but if the wear rate is linear and I can go 20+ years just replacing a rear set of PCCBs that sounds like a good deal to me.

I discovered this very scenario a few years back. I recall Alan C. and many others also went through the drill.

Experienced Porsche techs know the on car measurement is not accurate. Your service guys must never see cars that are tracked. There are Porsche publications that recommend the off car procedure if the on car procedure shows substantial wear.

And yes it is the PTV which can't be turned off that increases the wear rate on the rears. That is why most guys that track swap to steels , either AP J hooks or giro disc .

The wear rate is not linear either. The rate of wear seems to speed up after about 20 % .

Cheers
Old 07-09-2020, 12:18 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by DK7
Is the stock GT4 PCCB good enough for track and reliable?
Or is better pads and brake fluid required?
Pads and rotors are fine.

Flush the brakes and upgrade the fluid.
The following users liked this post:
Perimeter (07-10-2020)

Quick Reply: PCCB Wear and PTV?