Sponsored by: APR

New to me GT4!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 01:45 AM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New to me GT4!

So if you’ve been on the GT3 allocation forum, you may have noticed me posting about how excited I was about the prospects of getting a .2GT3. Obviously, given the BS games that have been going on with the “lists”, you can see it didn’t pan out, at least for now. Life is too short to wait. So I snatched up this almost new GT4 with only 300mi from The Main Line Porsche. I had it shipped to LA with Intercity, which did a great job.

I haven’t had a chance to do a real photo shoot, as I’m waiting to get some tints and clean it before I do. But I did snap these to post on RL. My first impressions are as follows below. I’m coming from a 991.1 C2S, which is a nice comparison given the same engine.

Pros:
1. The looks. I was never a full fan of the 981, especially the rear, but I love it in the GT4 form, especially in the darker colors. This is the non-metallic black. I will dread the upkeep I’m sure. The car already had a few scratches on it, so I passed on spending 5-6k on a clear bra.

2. PCCB. Not planning on tracking, so cost is not a huge issue. But man do they look great as they are huge and no brake dust. I do notice they have a stronger initial bite compared to the iron rotors on my 991. Also, this car feels so light, which is probably a combination of PCCB, LWBS, and the fact it’s a cayman vs a 991.

3. LWBS. Initially a pain in the *** to get into, but I think I’ve perfected the technique to not rub the bolsters or the steering wheel haha. I also got the Exclusive options bolster covers just in case. They just look great and add to the drama of the car.

4. The car just feels fantastic. Low to the ground and full of feel. The steering feel is definitely an upgrade compared to the 991.1.

5. Leather dash, and in this case the extended leather, really make the car feel like a Porsche should. My 991 didn’t have the full leather and truthfully felt a bit cheap. Obviously, from the pics you can see the original buyer went with the leather steering wheel and shift ****. Better for wear, but maybe not the same occasion as Alacantara. Being OCD, I like it.

6. Engine. I’m used to this engine in the C2S and I do love it. Sounds great and feels so flexible. Will comment more later.

7. Shifter. The raison d’être of the GT4. Beaming with feel. The 991.1 7speed was rubbery and sloppy compared to this. Yes, I know about the 3rd gear issue. Fingers crossed and car is CPO’d haha.

Cons:

1. Engine. I would love others to chime in. I feel like it doesn’t feel quite as fast as my manual C2S with the same engine, albeit 15bhp more. I thought the weight would equalize it. Maybe the rear-engine bias puts the power down better.

2. Sound. With the exhaust button pushed, somehow I feel it’s not as loud as the same engine in the 991. Honestly, though it’s been a while, so I can’t say for sure. The sound is great, but I’m okay with a little more volume. I’m not planning to change the exhaust though.

3. Miscellaneous. The original owner didn’t check off some options I would’ve gotten. First, the free smoking package. Come on, we all know you check that box. Also, the climate control is not automatic, which is a bit annoying in LA, where the AC is on often. Also, previous owner got satellite radio with the wart (which doesn’t stand out in black) but no HD radio, which actually is very useful.

4. No axle lift. I’m pretty good at avoiding the steep stuff, but coming into the gate of my apartment complex, I cannot avoid a hump that rubs the bottom with a violent sound.

Desires for next GT4

1. 4.0L engine with 450bhp as rumored by some. That would be enough to put it ahead of the upcoming GTS but still behind the new GT3.

2. New transmission, maybe from the GT3 to alleviate the potential 3rd gear issue.

3. Axle lift option

4. Bose option. If the GT3 is any indication, Porsche should realize people do drive these cars around town and the sound plus is pure garbage.

Okay, that was more than I intended. Hope to have some better pics soon. Gonna go enjoy this beauty.
Attached Images        
Old 10-06-2017, 02:39 AM
khoahtran
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Drool...
Old 10-06-2017, 07:17 AM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I likey!

Is that the regular black or jet black metallic?

Enjoy in good health !
Old 10-06-2017, 08:20 AM
Viperguy324
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

The newer PCCBs are not like the old 997s... They track just fine.

I agree that the non-leather dash is retarded in a 6 figure car.

And I have the sound plus, and it sounds great.... I thought it was BOSE?

Just was at the track (SPA, back straight pit lane) and got the hear a 1.1s vs. GT4 and I would argue the GT4 is louder.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:20 AM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

all black---looks sinister---love it!
brave man

as far as your pros/cons....my 911 is a 991.1 GT3 so obviously the engine (and sound especially--I have sharkwerks bypass in GT3)in my GT4 is not at that level, but still really, really good, I just wish it had more tq down low and you are absolutely correct about 911's putting power down better/faster since engine is over rear wheels.
With the GT4 engine, the "power put down" is more sublime and you will grow to love it...that being said, I also want the 450 hp 4.0L engine in the next GT4!
Gearing could also be closer in the next Gt4 as well, because we all bought this car because we love to shift, heel-toe and be involved in the piloting of the cars. I have PCCB's in GT3 (replaced with iron Girodiscs for track) and irons in Gt4---both are excellent especially with good pads like ferodo 1.11, but there is definitely more dust with steel and it shows on the platinum wheels but not so much on black. I have all leather dash on both -- a must in a $100k and $150k cars. Smokers pckg I agree is a no-brainer, I don't need the lift so skipped that in both cars....

anyway, congrats--you will not be disappointed
BTW--car is a killer on track if you ever get the bug--a real sleeper, and contends with plenty of 600+ hp american cars as well as GT3's M3's GTR's etc..
Old 10-06-2017, 10:22 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice looking ride, enjoy!
Previous owner specced extended leather but no smoking package? smh
Old 10-06-2017, 10:37 AM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

PS--If you do decide to track it, I would do a full paint correction (they should be able to get rid of all swirls, holograms and minor (only through clear coat) scratches, THEN do full clear film , then ceramic coating like optics's-coat......this is a MUST for tracking especially with a black car
Old 10-06-2017, 10:41 AM
CME
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 71 Posts

Congrats. Car looks great and you should thoroughly enjoy it. It's not the fastest Porsche, but the balance, feel and ergonomics makes it a classic.
Chet

Last edited by CME; 05-24-2019 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:42 AM
Sleepy996
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 56 Posts

Congrats car is spec'd beautifully !
Old 10-06-2017, 12:20 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 86 Posts

Nice! A GT4 isn't a bad booby prize to a GT3. Can always trade in the future when they become more available!
Old 10-06-2017, 01:15 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

That is a seriously great looking car, love the extended leather and deviated stitching. With everything in black like that, I agree with the comments about it looking very sinister. Hope you enjoy it!
Old 10-06-2017, 01:31 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Congrats on the purchase! Looks like a beauty.

Interestingly, I'd say my GT4 (sans Akrapovic) sounds better than my 991.1 GTS. The GTS feels definitely quicker in a straight line, but it can't compare to the feel of the GT4.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:35 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Sharp!
Old 10-06-2017, 02:46 PM
Leuz
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful! Just so you know, black is a PITA to maintain, I have the metallic one... but boy it looks the meanest.
If want sound and (some) performance, swap out the headers for high flow cats or, even better, race headers and a tune. Some shops here on the forum have good reputation on this. I myself chose DMS headers, sound and power to drool for. My 2 cents.
Enjoy!
Old 10-06-2017, 03:37 PM
Klepper
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 138 Posts

Looks fantastic!

Quick Reply: New to me GT4!