Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

New to me GT4!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 03:38 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks everyone for all the nice comments and suggestions. I love driving the car more and more each time I get in it. To answer an earlier question, mine is regular black (non-metallic)
Old 10-06-2017, 03:44 PM
ajw45
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Leuz
Beautiful! Just so you know, black is a PITA to maintain, I have the metallic one... but boy it looks the meanest.
If want sound and (some) performance, swap out the headers for high flow cats or, even better, race headers and a tune. Some shops here on the forum have good reputation on this. I myself chose DMS headers, sound and power to drool for. My 2 cents.
Enjoy!
Great seeing another black GT4 on RL, congrats!

Full PPF wrap is practically a must for a black car and it's expensive but totally worth it. My car is JBM and with a full PPF wrap + ceramic coating (CQuartz) it the easiest car to keep clean I've ever owned. Just wipe it down and hit it with a QD (Reload) and it is back to 90% clean, no swirls, no scratches.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:18 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 62 Posts

There was no axle lift available.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:13 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

Add a set of Dundon Headers, Dundon Tune and TPC DSC and Links. No problem with a dirty black GT4. You'll be inside driving it with a big smile.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:12 PM
Intercity Lines
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thank You

Originally Posted by shaytun
So if you’ve been on the GT3 allocation forum, you may have noticed me posting about how excited I was about the prospects of getting a .2GT3. Obviously, given the BS games that have been going on with the “lists”, you can see it didn’t pan out, at least for now. Life is too short to wait. So I snatched up this almost new GT4 with only 300mi from The Main Line Porsche. I had it shipped to LA with Intercity, which did a great job.

I haven’t had a chance to do a real photo shoot, as I’m waiting to get some tints and clean it before I do. But I did snap these to post on RL. My first impressions are as follows below. I’m coming from a 991.1 C2S, which is a nice comparison given the same engine.

Pros:
1. The looks. I was never a full fan of the 981, especially the rear, but I love it in the GT4 form, especially in the darker colors. This is the non-metallic black. I will dread the upkeep I’m sure. The car already had a few scratches on it, so I passed on spending 5-6k on a clear bra.

2. PCCB. Not planning on tracking, so cost is not a huge issue. But man do they look great as they are huge and no brake dust. I do notice they have a stronger initial bite compared to the iron rotors on my 991. Also, this car feels so light, which is probably a combination of PCCB, LWBS, and the fact it’s a cayman vs a 991.

3. LWBS. Initially a pain in the *** to get into, but I think I’ve perfected the technique to not rub the bolsters or the steering wheel haha. I also got the Exclusive options bolster covers just in case. They just look great and add to the drama of the car.

4. The car just feels fantastic. Low to the ground and full of feel. The steering feel is definitely an upgrade compared to the 991.1.

5. Leather dash, and in this case the extended leather, really make the car feel like a Porsche should. My 991 didn’t have the full leather and truthfully felt a bit cheap. Obviously, from the pics you can see the original buyer went with the leather steering wheel and shift ****. Better for wear, but maybe not the same occasion as Alacantara. Being OCD, I like it.

6. Engine. I’m used to this engine in the C2S and I do love it. Sounds great and feels so flexible. Will comment more later.

7. Shifter. The raison d’être of the GT4. Beaming with feel. The 991.1 7speed was rubbery and sloppy compared to this. Yes, I know about the 3rd gear issue. Fingers crossed and car is CPO’d haha.

Cons:

1. Engine. I would love others to chime in. I feel like it doesn’t feel quite as fast as my manual C2S with the same engine, albeit 15bhp more. I thought the weight would equalize it. Maybe the rear-engine bias puts the power down better.

2. Sound. With the exhaust button pushed, somehow I feel it’s not as loud as the same engine in the 991. Honestly, though it’s been a while, so I can’t say for sure. The sound is great, but I’m okay with a little more volume. I’m not planning to change the exhaust though.

3. Miscellaneous. The original owner didn’t check off some options I would’ve gotten. First, the free smoking package. Come on, we all know you check that box. Also, the climate control is not automatic, which is a bit annoying in LA, where the AC is on often. Also, previous owner got satellite radio with the wart (which doesn’t stand out in black) but no HD radio, which actually is very useful.

4. No axle lift. I’m pretty good at avoiding the steep stuff, but coming into the gate of my apartment complex, I cannot avoid a hump that rubs the bottom with a violent sound.

Desires for next GT4

1. 4.0L engine with 450bhp as rumored by some. That would be enough to put it ahead of the upcoming GTS but still behind the new GT3.

2. New transmission, maybe from the GT3 to alleviate the potential 3rd gear issue.

3. Axle lift option

4. Bose option. If the GT3 is any indication, Porsche should realize people do drive these cars around town and the sound plus is pure garbage.

Okay, that was more than I intended. Hope to have some better pics soon. Gonna go enjoy this beauty.

shaytun,

Thank you for the kind words and thank you for your business glad to see your GT4 arrived safe and sound. If we can assist you with any future moves please feel free to contact us.
1-800-221-3936 x205
jim@intercitylines.com
www.intercitylines.com

'69 MBZ 6.3
'16 Cayenne
'32 Ford highboy, Cadillac powered
Old 10-12-2017, 07:21 AM
KOTYKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 63 Posts

Are you daily driving the GT4?
Old 10-12-2017, 01:14 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KOTYKB
Are you daily driving the GT4?
Not daily driving. Not a garage queen either. Basically, Fri-Sundays
Old 10-14-2017, 01:00 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Love it. All Black is a great look for the GT4.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:34 AM
KOTYKB
Three Wheelin'

Not daily driving. Not a garage queen either. Basically, Fri-Sundays
I might be moving from SF down to LA for a job based in Culver City. Then likely live in Santa Monica, Venice Beach, Marina Del Ray. I've been kicking around the thought of DD a GT4. Its a reasonable DD but putting 8-10k miles a year on it will ensure it don't hold its value at ~MSRP but it still should hold its value well for what it is. I thought about getting a cheap DD but once you factor in driving a boring car, parking, insurance etc. Why not just drive a fun car on a daily basis
Old 10-16-2017, 04:02 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KOTYKB
I might be moving from SF down to LA for a job based in Culver City. Then likely live in Santa Monica, Venice Beach, Marina Del Ray. I've been kicking around the thought of DD a GT4. Its a reasonable DD but putting 8-10k miles a year on it will ensure it don't hold its value at ~MSRP but it still should hold its value well for what it is. I thought about getting a cheap DD but once you factor in driving a boring car, parking, insurance etc. Why not just drive a fun car on a daily basis
You can totally daily drive the GT4. The only thing in my opinion that makes it difficult is more the LWBS. Getting in and out is a process (that I've perfected haha), but it does require patience and space when parking. I wouldn't worry about resale. What you lose on resale will not equate to what a second car costs.
That being said, depending on how much you drive, LA traffic can suck, as can any big city, and having a daily is a nice luxury. There are places I go to where I know the traffic sucks or where I don't want to park the GT4. It's a nice luxury to have both. Also, I never take my GT4 somewhere where I have to valet. Just my own OCD. You may not care. But lots of places in LA you're best option is to valet.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:07 PM
KOTYKB
Three Wheelin'

You can totally daily drive the GT4. The only thing in my opinion that makes it difficult is more the LWBS. Getting in and out is a process (that I've perfected haha), but it does require patience and space when parking. I wouldn't worry about resale. What you lose on resale will not equate to what a second car costs.
That being said, depending on how much you drive, LA traffic can suck, as can any big city, and having a daily is a nice luxury. There are places I go to where I know the traffic sucks or where I don't want to park the GT4. It's a nice luxury to have both. Also, I never take my GT4 somewhere where I have to valet. Just my own OCD. You may not care. But lots of places in LA you're best option is to valet.
I was also looking at a 997 GTS or 991 C2/4S since they might be more ideal for daily driving in LA if I go with a PDK transmission. Since my commute won't be too bad from the beach cities to Culver City. I agree with having two vehicles, one fun car and another that you don't care as much about. Due to where I'll be potentially living, parking for two vehicles isn't ideal. Also like you said, daily driving a Porsche depreciate the car faster than the average car but its still cheaper than owning two cars. Living in San Francisco, I hardly drive my car since if I'm going to be drinking or unsure of parking, I Uber and I'll likely do the same in LA.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:40 PM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 37 Posts

West LA traffic is absolutely terrible... Why waste the mileage on such mundane/meaningless traffic driving on top of the risk of some distracted idiot on their cell phone rear ending you (Ask me how I know... Been rear ended 3 times now).

I don't daily drive my GT4 for those exact reasons. It's absolutely pointless since you'll be sitting in traffic 90% of the time.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:03 PM
QueueCumber
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Shockwave
West LA traffic is absolutely terrible... Why waste the mileage on such mundane/meaningless traffic driving on top of the risk of some distracted idiot on their cell phone rear ending you (Ask me how I know... Been rear ended 3 times now).

I don't daily drive my GT4 for those exact reasons. It's absolutely pointless since you'll be sitting in traffic 90% of the time.
Yep. I save my fun rides for times with low traffic or for fun trips in secluded areas.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:35 PM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by QueueCumber
Yep. I save my fun rides for times with low traffic or for fun trips in secluded areas.
Early morning or late evening driving for me only... typically Fri-Sun.

May explain why i only have 2250 miles on mine and i took delivery over 18 months ago.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:27 AM
QueueCumber
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Shockwave
Early morning or late evening driving for me only... typically Fri-Sun.

May explain why i only have 2250 miles on mine and i took delivery over 18 months ago.
Yep. I try to avoid the hours that the national statistics list as the hours people are most likely to have accidents. It's a habit I picked up riding motorcycles in order to avoid being killed on one. Lol.

Though late evening and dark morning hours I avoid also because of deer. I was literally around 15 feet away and passing on the left side of a tractor trailer one very early morning that smashed a deer with its left side front bumper on the highway a few weeks ago. The deer was pulverized and the remains, as well as particles of the bumper, cartwheeled in front of my vehicle. I was lucky and slammed on my breaks to avoid the fragments. Nonetheless, I was glad I was in the Jeep and not one of the Porsches...

Last edited by QueueCumber; 10-17-2017 at 08:43 AM.

Quick Reply: New to me GT4!