Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Odd rev-correlated intake-whine. Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 02:26 AM
Viperguy324
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Proracing
To those GT4 owners who have experienced the mind numbing “cricket” sounding whine: After two trips to two dealers and a box of Dynamat placed in various areas, I believe I found the problem. Porsche has done a relatively good job of insulating the engine except for one area which happens to allow for this obnoxious sound caught on audio throughout this thread. If you remove the plastic cover behind the seat/just behind the doors where the seat belt tensioner resides, you will find that there is NO insulation there (at least on my Nov ‘15 build). To top that, there is a space around the seat belt mechanism leading directly to the uninsulated sheet metal around the intake. I found this by placing a thick blanket behind the seat and against the back of the door.
The fix is to simply fill that cavity and the surrounding area with insulation material. I used Dynamat and some microfiber towels. There is still a faint “Porsche” whine that is certainly acceptable, but the mind numbing, high pitched “cricket” sound (likely intake valve noise) is gone. The car is substantially more pleasurable to drive when not at the track. Although I am rather new to this thread and to Porsche ownership, I am not new to GT type sports cars or race cars. GT stands for Grand Touring which should translate to a “car that one should enjoy in pleasure and spirited driving”. Now that this noise is rectified, this GT4 is pleasurable everywhere.
So your cricket was correlated to the throttle? standing still you heard it?
Old 11-18-2019, 10:17 AM
Proracing
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Crickets

What the sound is related to is the cam timing and valves. The “cricket” sound gets substantially louder or softer whether going up through the rev range or down at about 3725rpm. That is apparently when the cam timing changes the valve lift.
The uninsulated area behind the seat where the seat belt tensioner mounts is directly above the intake on the side of the car. The sound of the valves literally travels into that cavity that is not insulated. You can hear the sound on throttle standing still, but it seems louder under load.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:36 PM
Tiexin Guo
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a 2020 GTS 4.0 and have similar noise.
In my case it is noticeable between 2500-4500 RPM range, and it is related to RPM. It's a little high pitched, almost like a super charger.
Not sure if this is the same case or not.
Any conclusion on this? Nothing to worry about I guess?
But it is annoying if I'm honest. I cruise in that RPM range often.
It's going to be my last Porsche I have decided. Next car R8 V10 RWD.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:27 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 126 Posts

What the sound is related to is the cam timing and valves. The “cricket” sound gets substantially louder or softer whether going up through the rev range or down at about 3725rpm. That is apparently when the cam timing changes the valve lift.
The uninsulated area behind the seat where the seat belt tensioner mounts is directly above the intake on the side of the car. The sound of the valves literally travels into that cavity that is not insulated. You can hear the sound on throttle standing still, but it seems louder under load.
I’m the OP — just found this thread because Tiexin Guo (^^) PM’d me about it.

Thanks for this info, Proracing! To be honest, I’d forgotten all about the sound just by getting used to it, I suppose. And Soul headers didn’t hurt any either. But when I get back in town I’ll try the same thing you’ve done and see if it improves the experience.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:21 PM
jeron
8th Gear

To those GT4 owners who have experienced the mind numbing “cricket” sounding whine: After two trips to two dealers and a box of Dynamat placed in various areas, I believe I found the problem. Porsche has done a relatively good job of insulating the engine except for one area which happens to allow for this obnoxious sound caught on audio throughout this thread. If you remove the plastic cover behind the seat/just behind the doors where the seat belt tensioner resides, you will find that there is NO insulation there (at least on my Nov ‘15 build). To top that, there is a space around the seat belt mechanism leading directly to the uninsulated sheet metal around the intake. I found this by placing a thick blanket behind the seat and against the back of the door.
The fix is to simply fill that cavity and the surrounding area with insulation material. I used Dynamat and some microfiber towels. There is still a faint “Porsche” whine that is certainly acceptable, but the mind numbing, high pitched “cricket” sound (likely intake valve noise) is gone. The car is substantially more pleasurable to drive when not at the track. Although I am rather new to this thread and to Porsche ownership, I am not new to GT type sports cars or race cars. GT stands for Grand Touring which should translate to a “car that one should enjoy in pleasure and spirited driving”. Now that this noise is rectified, this GT4 is pleasurable everywhere.
Brilliant, this is what I wanted to hear! Do you have any photos showing the exact placement by any chance? Thank you!!
Old 08-20-2023, 02:25 PM
DXB-GT4
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Reviving an old one, but the mind numbing cricket sound has struck again! I’ve been monitoring this sound for months now - it sort of “became” more noticeable a few months ago. I’ve driven another GT4 and I could hear the sound, just not as pronounced. I was initially worried that my recent move to redline oil (rather than liquimoly) and 75w140 swepco transmission oil (rather than the standard 75w90) could have caused this, but it seems @Proracing findings have been to add insulation to this area behind the seat. Everything described so far is exactly how my car sounds.

Anyone share some photos or more details on where and how to add the insulation? I’d be very grateful.
Old 08-21-2023, 10:37 AM
brasskg
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Whining sound likely to be the air oil separator

Hey Guys,

I know first hand how irritating this sound can be!

I was told by a Porsche tech that it’s an air oil separator (AOS) vacuum pump related sound, hence the whining that increases with RPM.

There is a “new” AOS part number and dealer accessible information on this issue…according to my service manager. He had to research it for a day

I bought the “new” AOS and had it installed during my 6 year service. My subjective impression is about a 50-60% reduction in the volume of the whine, enough that I don’t hear it unless I focus on trying to pick it out from the overall sound of the engine.

This is the part number I was given by my service manager: 9A110704202

Hope this is helpful!
The following users liked this post:
GT3FZS (01-26-2024)
Old 08-21-2023, 12:01 PM
DXB-GT4
Track Day

Originally Posted by brasskg
Hey Guys,

I know first hand how irritating this sound can be!

I was told by a Porsche tech that it’s an air oil separator (AOS) vacuum pump related sound, hence the whining that increases with RPM.

There is a “new” AOS part number and dealer accessible information on this issue…according to my service manager. He had to research it for a day

I bought the “new” AOS and had it installed during my 6 year service. My subjective impression is about a 50-60% reduction in the volume of the whine, enough that I don’t hear it unless I focus on trying to pick it out from the overall sound of the engine.

This is the part number I was given by my service manager: 9A110704202

Hope this is helpful!
Thanks for posting! So there’s some truth to this AOS thing then!? I read a few other posts saying they tried the new part and there was no change. Can you please tell me if you tried any other things before you did this? Any before after vids? 🙏🙏
Old 08-21-2023, 02:06 PM
brasskg
8th Gear

Default AOS whine

I didn’t try anything else, because I was told by a Porsche technician(and an independent Porsche specialty shop that did the PPI on my car) that the sound was a vacuum pump sound related to the AOS. I lived with it until it was time for my 6 year service…when I figured it was a good opportunity to have them swap in the new AOS. I wasn’t aware of other GT4 owners reporting “no change” in the audible whine with the new pump. I feel confidant in my subjective response that there’s a 50-60-% reduction in the volume of the sound. The sound is not gone, but I think that’s because it’s an updated version of the same intrinsic mechanical device. I have some in car phone recording with the original pump that might capture the whine, and next weekend I’ll make a new phone recording and try to be consistent to the original variables.
Old 08-21-2023, 02:17 PM
DXB-GT4
Track Day

Originally Posted by brasskg
I didn’t try anything else, because I was told by a Porsche technician(and an independent Porsche specialty shop that did the PPI on my car) that the sound was a vacuum pump sound related to the AOS. I lived with it until it was time for my 6 year service…when I figured it was a good opportunity to have them swap in the new AOS. I wasn’t aware of other GT4 owners reporting “no change” in the audible whine with the new pump. I feel confidant in my subjective response that there’s a 50-60-% reduction in the volume of the sound. The sound is not gone, but I think that’s because it’s an updated version of the same intrinsic mechanical device. I have some in car phone recording with the original pump that might capture the whine, and next weekend I’ll make a new phone recording and try to be consistent to the original variables.
REALLY appreciate your response mate. Honestly. Great to hear that this got resolved for you and eagerly awaiting the videos from you. I understand the revised part number is 9A110704202. Do you mind telling me where your purchased it and for how much? Is it a time consuming job for the shop to do?
Old 08-21-2023, 03:27 PM
brasskg
8th Gear

I got the AOS from Suncoast Porsche in Florida. It was $175 and the labor is pricy at $550…my dealer said that a standard Cayman AOS swap is a couple hours and unfortunately the 981 GT4 swap is more involved at 4-6 hours. I’ll do my best to get the A to B videos next weekend
DXB-GT4 (08-22-2023)
Old 01-04-2024, 04:36 AM
akowalev
2nd Gear

Hello All-
I am glad I am not the only person who thinks the rev-correlated whine is a substantial distraction from the driving experience of the GT4. I have been looking all over forums to find a complete story -- I have had my car since new, and do not recall hearing the sound during break-in period. However, over the past year, it has gotten quite annoying. I do know that the sound at least exists on another 718 GT4 I have driven. I do not think it is gear whine as you can sit in neutral, without the car moving and still hear the whine as the RPM surpass 1950 RPM - it sounds like it could be a pulley or tensioner. I have had the car evaluated by Porsche AND two independent shops. 2 of 3 suggest it is normal.....but I don't care if it is normal, I want to fix it. I know the previous 981 GT4 has an AOS recall, and I appreciate that this might also be related to the AOS. Does anyone have a recording they can post of the before and after?...I want to compare it with my vehicle. Can anyone else confirm that the new part number listed above does reduce that sound in more than the single case cited? I have already removed the sound symposer and added dynamat and mass-loaded vinyl, but the whine persists. Finally, if the 4.0L is a variant of the current 911 (992) motor, why doesn't the sound exist on that vehicle?

THANKS!
Old 01-06-2024, 01:08 PM
DXB-GT4
Track Day

Originally Posted by akowalev
Hello All-
I am glad I am not the only person who thinks the rev-correlated whine is a substantial distraction from the driving experience of the GT4. I have been looking all over forums to find a complete story -- I have had my car since new, and do not recall hearing the sound during break-in period. However, over the past year, it has gotten quite annoying. I do know that the sound at least exists on another 718 GT4 I have driven. I do not think it is gear whine as you can sit in neutral, without the car moving and still hear the whine as the RPM surpass 1950 RPM - it sounds like it could be a pulley or tensioner. I have had the car evaluated by Porsche AND two independent shops. 2 of 3 suggest it is normal.....but I don't care if it is normal, I want to fix it. I know the previous 981 GT4 has an AOS recall, and I appreciate that this might also be related to the AOS. Does anyone have a recording they can post of the before and after?...I want to compare it with my vehicle. Can anyone else confirm that the new part number listed above does reduce that sound in more than the single case cited? I have already removed the sound symposer and added dynamat and mass-loaded vinyl, but the whine persists. Finally, if the 4.0L is a variant of the current 911 (992) motor, why doesn't the sound exist on that vehicle?

THANKS!
I have commented on this thread previously. Have a 981 GT4. The whine drove me crazy once I heard it I couldn’t unhear it. Got the updated AOS part following the advice here. Not a lick of difference. Save your cash. Fast forward 6 months I’m just used to it now. Thought I’d share my thoughts so you don’t find out the hard way. No before after sound I’m afraid.
Old 01-07-2024, 07:16 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by DXB-GT4
I have commented on this thread previously. Have a 981 GT4. The whine drove me crazy once I heard it I couldn’t unhear it. Got the updated AOS part following the advice here. Not a lick of difference. Save your cash. Fast forward 6 months I’m just used to it now. Thought I’d share my thoughts so you don’t find out the hard way. No before after sound I’m afraid.
I’m the OP. Coming up on 7 years later for me. I still have and love the 981, the sound is still there, it has, obviously, proven to be nothing “wrong”, and I never really hear it unless I get to thinking about listening for it. Then I can certainly hear it And the instant I stop actively listening for it the sound “goes away.”
Old 01-07-2024, 01:30 PM
akowalev
2nd Gear

Thanks to you both....not exactly the response I was hoping for, but it is what it is ---

Anyone interested in buying a 2022 Shark Blue GT4, contact me.
zhouto (07-28-2024)

Quick Reply: Odd rev-correlated intake-whine. Is this normal?