Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Track Tyres

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 01:39 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

I did the IPD plenum and TB thing but that gave zero improvement (see previous posts on that on other threads) as others have found; only works with headers as well and a tune. Autohaus did the setup using RSS toe links and I'm happy with the handling for now. That's it for mods and I will probably stop at that and concentrate on the learning the driving techniques which are a bit different from my old 996.1 GT3. I've now learnt a few tricks which work well for me.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:46 AM
.dee
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Warwick Morris
I did the IPD plenum and TB thing but that gave zero improvement (see previous posts on that on other threads) as others have found; only works with headers as well and a tune. Autohaus did the setup using RSS toe links and I'm happy with the handling for now. That's it for mods and I will probably stop at that and concentrate on the learning the driving techniques which are a bit different from my old 996.1 GT3. I've now learnt a few tricks which work well for me.
i though i saw your car at PR??

you take different lines to mine, especially going into 2-3-4, very tight on two, where i run wider.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:01 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

PR do my track support and I was test fitting the wheels you see in this thread. They also look after my Lambo race car which I ran on Sunday's CAMS event. With both the Lambp and GT4 being mid-engined I've putting a few things together. I like Autohaus and Grant for the GT4 technical stuff because he's invested a lot in it, owns a GT4 and has built a successful Tarmac rally car as well. I'll still get any stuff on my old GT3 done by PR though as they are great on those cars.....probably good on GT4's now as well just that they started later. I like both shops a lot and they support our club so I support them.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:27 AM
O5C4R
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by .dee
i though i saw your car at PR??

you take different lines to mine, especially going into 2-3-4, very tight on two, where i run wider.

hey .dee, how do you take turn 7 or corporate hill, i usually bring it in at about 3/4 of the way across the track, as for turn 2 i take it tight and 4 even tighter then the vid. maybe i should loosen it all up.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:50 AM
.dee
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by O5C4R
hey .dee, how do you take turn 7 or corporate hill, i usually bring it in at about 3/4 of the way across the track, as for turn 2 i take it tight and 4 even tighter then the vid. maybe i should loosen it all up.
same as Warwick (in the video) I run wide using up the full width of the track, actually rewatching the video, my lines are very similar everywhere other than turn 2, where i brake hard on the right hand side (on the outer) and then late apex the corner.

keep in mind that a lot of this has to do with the car set up and how it feels on the day whether it rotates easily or you need to brake i to the corner to encourage this...
Old 03-14-2017, 07:21 PM
Snowman.
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice lap Warrick - Told you the Trofeo's are the solution!

And they come in 20's for those not wanting to get another set of wheels.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:10 PM
O5C4R
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by .dee
same as Warwick (in the video) I run wide using up the full width of the track, actually rewatching the video, my lines are very similar everywhere other than turn 2, where i brake hard on the right hand side (on the outer) and then late apex the corner.

keep in mind that a lot of this has to do with the car set up and how it feels on the day whether it rotates easily or you need to brake i to the corner to encourage this...
i'll try that next time.

turn 2 is an enigma, I used to brake down the right hand side now i go the left and make a V out of the hairpin. if i stuff it up the guys going wider are quicker.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:57 PM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Yep happy with Trofeos but will still test the R88R's on the 19"s next time out to see if they can match.....they're available and $1k cheaper. Having the 19's allows Trofeos on those wheels too and they are a lot more available in 19" sizes....probably cheaper too.
On Turn 2 the race line is double apex; if you start wide you get overtaken every time! I'm old but an even older race car driver told me once that slow corners are slow and it's always best to drive the least distance slowly as possible thus short inside lines are at least where you start when working out a track. Carrying as much speed as possible in fast corners and sweepers is where lap time are improved.....up to the point where you crash. My homespun philosophy is that you learn a lot when you've crashed a couple of times and either pick yourself up, replenish the bank account and go at it again or stay with surfing, golf or tennis which are also great pass times and cheaper to boot.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:37 AM
mungee
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is me...the other day on standard tyres plus a wheel alignment from Grant @ Autohaus. First time in the car and that was my 2nd session. Room for improvement also which is encouraging...

Quick Reply: Track Tyres