Sponsored by: APR

First Track Day!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 07:04 PM
Patrick A
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First Track Day!

With 1300 miles I decided to attend the Speeddistrict track day event at the Auto Club speedway. Wow I must say this thing is a monster on track. It handles very well, accelerates great, and looks amazing on track!
Did a 2:01.077 which i thought was not bad

Question 1: now that I tracked it should I do a service?

Question 2 : Should I change the engine oil, tranny oil, diff oil, brake fuild (i have PCCB)

Question 3 : What's your fastest MPH on that track if you have been? I hit 157mph, I was cautious as this was the first time taking it to the track.
Attached Images      
Old 11-22-2016, 07:31 PM
martinc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

157 on day 1! Nice. Not worried about the breakin? I'm at 1350 mile and have not gone over 4100 rpm. I tend to baby my cars
Old 11-22-2016, 07:49 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 235 Posts

Congrats, pictures look great!

Its probably a good idea to change the oil if you have never done so before, as with any new build, it is possible to get debris in the oil. Otherwise, I'd recommend you change it annually, particular before hot summer days. Tranny and diff are good for longer intervals. Some change it more often, out of an abundance of caution.

I would also bleed the brakes after each event. I would change brake fluid annually as well (1 year after the car was manufactured). And, if you commit to changing the fluid more often, then you can go to a racing brake fluid such as Castrol - as it absorbs moisture from the air much quicker than the stock fluid.

I do recommend you start sampling your oil at every change - have Blackstone send you some free kits.

Re: Speed, I got up to 169 at Daytona but that was because I lifted, others much faster.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:09 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick A
With 1300 miles I decided to attend the Speeddistrict track day event at the Auto Club speedway. Wow I must say this thing is a monster on track. It handles very well, accelerates great, and looks amazing on track!
Did a 2:01.077 which i thought was not bad

Question 1: now that I tracked it should I do a service?

Question 2 : Should I change the engine oil, tranny oil, diff oil, brake fuild (i have PCCB)

Question 3 : What's your fastest MPH on that track if you have been? I hit 157mph, I was cautious as this was the first time taking it to the track.
First track day ever or first in the GT4? If your indicated at 157 you're probably close to 145-150 (sorry for buzz kill) but at those speeds my RS reads optimistically high compared to AIM GPS timer results. But if you got that on GPS that's moving. Getting to 2mins on the ACS Roval configuration is moving. You've got lots of learning room though, this car stock should be low 150s. Need some huevos going into turn 1-2 and you know what? those last couple seconds might not be worth it :-)

1 - it's good to get an inspection before every event you do. I do a wheels off, on jack stands, put your hands on everything suspension, brake, nuts, bolts, and just give the car a once over. 99.5% of the time nothing is wrong, but a small amount time you find something.

2 - if you haven't had an oil change yet I would do one before any additional track days. changing oil every 4-5 track days is cheap insurance and it also forces you to look at the car under it and give it a once over. I do trans fluids every other oil change, probably excessive. Yes on brake fluid. Get that factory fluid out of there and put in Endless, SRF, or brembo HTC64. Bleed your brakes after an event (you take a few oz out of every caliper) and flush annually. Also inspect your brake pads. heat is enemy of PCCB. Some suggest changing pads at 50% wear to keep heat out of the rotors. if you plan to track a lot you may look into iron rotors.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:40 AM
kahane18
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

I do trans fluids every other oil change, probably excessive.

Hey Spy

Do you have the pricing on this? I asked my tech and he quoted $900.00 to do the gearbox/diff oil change in my GT4, seems somewhat excessive?

Thanks
Old 11-23-2016, 02:21 PM
MVEED3
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I was out there on Saturday but didn't opt to time my sessions. My GT4 was the only one out that day so I made a lot of new friends. The best compliment of the day from a GT3 RS owner was, "I'm glad your GT4 made it into the right hands." "You're super-fast in it!"

My fastest digital speedo read on the main straight was 143MPH.

Setup:
Full aero
2.4/2.0 degrees
0mm/4mm total toe
Corner balanced

I did an oil change and brake fluid flush prior to the event. I plan to change the oil again this weekend at 4200mi.

Here's my slide deck:
https://goo.gl/photos/6FFEytL1wFhyji9cA
Old 11-23-2016, 02:42 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Speed in a straight line is boring and takes no skill what so ever. Speed through a corner is awesome and requires a whole lot of skill.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:50 PM
CMS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

As others have said, definitely do an engine oil change (since the car is just past break-in). From there you can change it as necessary -- say every three or four track events. When choosing an engine oil (with track days in mind) pay attention to the High-Temperature High Shear viscosity of your oil. That's one of the most important attributes -- how well the oil maintains film strength (particularly in the crank bearings) in sustained high heat/high load. 4.0 and higher is good for a passenger car motor oil.

Bleed your brakes before each track event (not after -- the fresher the better for each track day). Use a high temp DOT4 racing fluid (RF1 is 622 deg F) -- the higher the dry boiling point the better. Wet boiling point is not as critical in fresh fluid.

Check your brake pads; stock pads will wear quickly with track use. A dedicated track set will last longer and decrease stopping distance on-track. Most of our customers use either Pagid or PFC. Also pay attention to your rotors -- small surface cracks will normally develop around the holes in stock rotors, but when cracks "connect" two adjacent holes it's time to replace the rotors.

Obviously pay attention to tire wear. Particularly the outboard tires if you're running a "roval" -- banked ovals put huge strain on outboard tires. Check your wheels for cracks, particularly the spokes where they meet the hubs. Cracks should be rare, but that's how we've caught cracked wheels at the track -- by giving them a once-over after every session (while checking pressures and lug bolt torques). Call that the "easy way"...

Gearbox oil should last you 20 events. When you feel shifts on the track getting notchy or balky, it's a good time to change it. The GT4 gearbox is actually a transaxle (transmission and diff all in one) so there is no separate diff oil to change.

Hope that helps!
Old 11-23-2016, 03:40 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 998 Likes on 515 Posts

Glad you had a fun first experience on track with the GT4. Some good advice offered above.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:33 AM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 94 Posts

Was there sunday, I think I saw your car ( there were several GT4's that day.

My fastest speed was 145 ( but I have a cayman gts). My times were 1:55's that day so was making up time in the infield.

A little practice and you should get down to 1:52 or so with that car. ( I have done 1:53 in mine).
Old 11-24-2016, 02:12 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by kahane18
I do trans fluids every other oil change, probably excessive.

Hey Spy

Do you have the pricing on this? I asked my tech and he quoted $900.00 to do the gearbox/diff oil change in my GT4, seems somewhat excessive?

Thanks
I pay 1 or 1.5 hours of labor + materials for an oil/trans fluid change. 900 is high. Should be under $500 for both if you're using top grade synthetic oils like torco or motul.

Is this a dealer?
Old 11-24-2016, 03:55 AM
Viperguy324
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MVEED3
"I'm glad your GT4 made it into the right hands." "You're super-fast in it"

lol....I sure hope this dude was quick.
Next time someone tells you this, just wink and tell them "that's how the ladies like it... fast in, slow out. Right? "

Compliment... I doubt it. Unless the guy was slow... then it might have been.

Congrats on your first track day!
Old 11-24-2016, 11:04 AM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope you have safety equipment in your car, including a roll bar, harnesses and that you're wearing a HANS device or similar, as **** happens when you least expect it especially at those speeds.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:00 PM
MVEED3
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Viperguy324
lol....I sure hope this dude was quick.
Next time someone tells you this, just wink and tell them "that's how the ladies like it... fast in, slow out. Right? "

Compliment... I doubt it. Unless the guy was slow... then it might have been.
Speed is relative. I thought I was already going fast when your girlfriend told me to go faster
Old 11-24-2016, 01:31 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 998 Likes on 515 Posts

Quick Reply: First Track Day!