Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Race Tech Forged - pulled trigger.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 01:37 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

for what these cost, you can buy new forgelines for the same if you shop a few dealers FYI.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:41 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 998 Likes on 515 Posts

I ordered these a while ago and have yet to receive them , now with this new info I am very concerned about using them. I will contact my CC company to see if I can cancel the order.
Hopefully it is now 'have' not 'will'.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:29 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,491 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by gulf911
I ordered these a while ago and have yet to receive them , now with this new info I am very concerned about using them. I will contact my CC company to see if I can cancel the order.
i wouldn't run them for a street car let alone track car.
forgeline, ccw, bbs, oz.
i was selling a bunch of bbs and forgeline lightly used for not much more than race tech.

wheels are not something one gambles on.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:13 AM
coffeeycups
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i wouldn't run them for a street car let alone track car.
forgeline, ccw, bbs, oz.
i was selling a bunch of bbs and forgeline lightly used for not much more than race tech.

wheels are not something one gambles on.
what mooty said! "wheels are not something one gambles on." doest matter what you drive... never cheap out on wheels
Old 12-15-2016, 03:12 PM
gulf911
Instructor

First , hey cups, know what you are talking about , nobody cheaped out on wheels... These arent cast , these are monoblock FORGED high grade aluminum. They were discounted based on media discounts and them being new to market. I had already verified with a PCA member that has those wheels on a GT3 without issue. Granted , I may have made a mistake trusting what I was told and the delays , but I sure as hell dont need your comments.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:01 PM
452gt3
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Dan, hope all works out for you I have used my RTF wheels for track only since March for both AX with PCA and BMW clubs also DE's & TT with PCA. I also have a set of very end wheels also for track use and have had no issues with either set. RTF is not always the easiest to work with but the quality, fit and finish seems very good. I will be using them again this weekend. I have never been know to be easy on equipment or tires and the parking lot at the Q puts everything to the test. Anyway good luck whichever way you end up, hope to see you and the new car soon.

Mike
Old 12-16-2016, 05:02 PM
coffeeycups
Advanced

sorry op

Old 12-16-2016, 05:29 PM
452gt3
Rennlist Member

I had a CCW look like that and a friend had a BBS look the same. CCW replaced the wheel with a pair of new wheels not sure that BBS did anything. Not saying there are not issues that need to be addressed at RTF.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:30 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,328 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by 452gt3
Dan, hope all works out for you I have used my RTF wheels for track only since March for both AX with PCA and BMW clubs also DE's & TT with PCA. I also have a set of very (?) end wheels also for track use and have had no issues with either set. RTF is not always the easiest to work with but the quality, fit and finish seems very good. I will be using them again this weekend. I have never been know to be easy on equipment or tires and the parking lot at the Q puts everything to the test. Anyway good luck whichever way you end up, hope to see you and the new car soon.

Mike
Originally Posted by 452gt3
I had a CCW look like that and a friend had a BBS look the same. CCW replaced the wheel with a pair of new wheels not sure that BBS did anything. Not saying there are not issues that need to be addressed at RTF.

What is your connection to RTF at this late stage of the game?

What wheels are you talking about in red above?
Old 12-16-2016, 06:34 PM
452gt3
Rennlist Member

My only connection is I have three sets of their wheels for two of my cars.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:36 PM
452gt3
Rennlist Member

I wanted to say high end wheels in the prior post.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:46 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 945 Likes on 547 Posts

Bling <> Good Wheel

Name:  Pimp-My-Ride-0009 (1).jpg
Views: 768
Size:  119.1 KB

It's SOOOOO easy to plug into the global manufacturing scene to sell wheels these days that you gotta wonder how a new company hits the scenes with a business model any different than any other replica manufacturer out there. For track use, look at who is providing hardware to the pro race teams and stop your search there. Too many replica products ending up in sadness under good use. Please listen to your friends and not the sales guy.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:13 AM
coffeeycups
Advanced

sorry op part 2 - from 997 thread... lab results in and not surprised 997 Thread here

Originally Posted by garyever
THE SMOKING GUN FOR RACE TECH FORGED-----------Several Rennlist members posted that the cracks in the broken spokes of mine and bhf_clt's failed wheels looked like cracks that would occur in cast wheels.

I am now holding a certified test report from an Independent Metals Testing Laboratory published today that confirms Race Tech Motoring is indeed machining and selling counterfeit "cast" wheels, which may be part of the 1400 or so aluminum alloy wheels they imported from South Korea last year that I questioned in several earlier posts. This test report displays that there is no sign of forging (elongated grain flow) in the test sample cut from my wheel. Cast wheels come from aluminum alloy liquid poured in to a mold so retain their original "rounded grain shape", which produces only the original strength of the 6061 aluminum. Forged wheels come from a large extruded aluminum alloy core bar that is smashed into the shape of a wheel at gigantic pressures to produce a smaller grain size (denser, stronger metal) and a very strong, elongated "grain flow shape" in the direction of which the strength is needed to create the very light and strong forged wheel strength. The two processes have little in common, so they are either one or the other. There are no grey areas in this report. Additionally, the Brinell hardness test confirms that the T6 hardness of my wheel is too low at 82 hbw, which should be at 95, too low to meet 6061-T6 hardness, and which would be expected from a less dense cast wheel. I have commissioned a blind test from a 2nd laboratory to confirm this report, before releasing it to California authorities, but I think the cat is out of the bag here and hand writing on the wall for RTM/RTF. Mine are certified counterfeit so I have to go with the assumption that all are cast and will report the findings of the blind confirmation to the forum when received. I am releasing this early to discourage any more victims at RTM/RTF as they have done enough damage already and does not need to continue further. Note that pictures of my wheels tested are included in the report to authenticate that the subjects tested are my RTM wheels that failed.

This is why I continued to refuse to return the wheel to RTM. I have removed the lab's name from the test report to keep RTM from attacking them until California Authorities have taken over this investigation. (click below for the lab report)
Old 12-17-2016, 11:54 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 945 Likes on 547 Posts

It's very sad that so many people chose to lie cheat and steal from others. I hope RTF burns to the ground over this.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:02 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 607 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by coffeeycups
sorry op

OMG!

Quick Reply: Race Tech Forged - pulled trigger.