Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Why no temp tags in California?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016 | 04:59 PM
QShip
Instructor

Originally Posted by naveeds786
I drove it sparingly for the next 2 weeks, but ultimately was pulled over. I got 3 tickets (no registration, no plate, no inspection). I then received my NY plates and registration in the mail after that.
In CA you just need proof the car was registered at the time you were ticketed- the registration doesn't need to be in/on the car to fight the ticket. Been there and done that.
Old 09-12-2016 | 05:00 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Originally Posted by 4carl
one thing i will say is ca issues the plates quick. i always have them in the mail within 2 weeks.
That has not been my experience. My personalized plates take the better part of that six month grace period.
Old 09-12-2016 | 05:04 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by paradocs98
Great story! Another one of the weirdisms of the genius that was Steve Jobs. The article, though, points out just what I was thinking re. why all cars should need some sort of identification, even right after purchase:

"Jobs is no longer with us, but in case any of his disciples were in the habit of copying his phobia of license plates, watch out. On Monday, California Governor Jerry Brown signed a new law that does away with the loophole. From 2019, California joins most of the other states in the nation by requiring newly bought cars to be issued temporary license plates. Additionally, the law will create a system to allow car sellers to report details of the sale to the DMV, including the date of sale and the names and addresses of the dealer and purchaser.

The bill (AB516) was the work of California Speaker pro Tem Kevin Mullin and was inspired by the hit-and-run death of Michael Bonanomi. Bonanomi was killed in 2013 by a car that was wearing paper dealer plates, and no one has ever been identified as the driver. "While this law will not bring Michael back, in the future it will go a long way in making sure that an offending vehicle and its driver are easier to identify and bring to justice," Mullin wrote in a statement."

The fact that you can go 6 months in Calif with no plate is just nuts. In NY you need to use a dealer plate even if going on a test drive--it's either magnetized or hangs from the trunk with straps. And by dealer plate, I mean a real plate with unique numbers on it, not a piece of cardboard that just reads "Ferrari of Beverly Hills."
Not sure I would call it "genius", as you have noticed plenty of people do it, and have for ages. Although I believe the paper windshield slip has always been valid for only 90 days, not 6 months as mentioned in the article.

I am not for the heavy hand of regulation and government intervention, but it is about time the temporary registration situation here was overhauled. I am guilty of sometimes driving for months (years ) without plates, but I also pay my fees and taxes, and I don't run toll booths or commit crimes behind the wheel. That it will take 3 years to implement is proof of our dysfunctional government at work...
Old 09-12-2016 | 05:32 PM
naveeds786
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Not the dealer's fault. The temporary front window slip currently issued by dealers is a temporary CA registration. If you register a car in CA, you pay CA sales/use tax. If you buy in CA and do not want to pay CA sales/use tax and want to drive your new car out of state for registration elsewhere, you need to request a 'one trip permit' to get your car out of state. If the car was trucked out of the state, it is not the CA dealer's responsibility to provide you a legal way to drive the car in another state without being registered.
I don't agree that it's not the dealer's fault. They have a responsibility to inform their customer that they can't drive a car after purchase because the registration is in limbo. I did pay tax at the time of sale, but the dealer gave it to another company to register the car for me in NY.
Old 09-12-2016 | 05:33 PM
4carl
Race Car

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
That has not been my experience. My personalized plates take the better part of that six month grace period.
im just generic ..
Old 09-12-2016 | 06:46 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

I don't agree that it's not the dealer's fault. They have a responsibility to inform their customer that they can't drive a car after purchase because the registration is in limbo. I did pay tax at the time of sale, but the dealer gave it to another company to register the car for me in NY.
So then you paid NY tax, correct?

Not trying to be rude, but I'm not sure how you think a CA dealer should have or could have facilitated temporary registration for you in NY, or why you consider it a CA dealer's responsibility to inform you of your own state government's vehicle codes and regulations. There are plenty of things to be ticked off at car dealers for, but IMO this isn't one of them.

I am a CA resident, and happened to be car shopping in CT over the weekend for use while I am temporarily living in NY. First thing I asked before even showing up to the dealership was how the registration process would work...
Old 09-12-2016 | 07:20 PM
naveeds786
Intermediate

Not trying to be rude, but I'm not sure how you think a CA dealer should have or could have facilitated temporary registration for you in NY, or why you consider it a CA dealer's responsibility to inform you of your own state government's vehicle codes and regulations. There are plenty of things to be ticked off at car dealers for, but IMO this isn't one of them.

I am a CA resident, and happened to be car shopping in CT over the weekend for use while I am temporarily living in NY. First thing I asked before even showing up to the dealership was how the registration process would work...
I'm not taking your response as rude

I've purchased vehicles out of state before and the dealers have facilitated temp tags every time. The least I would expect from the dealer if they're not doing that is "hey naveeds786, we aren't providing you with any temp registration, the tax you're paying is not going to CA, but we're having a 3rd party handle the NY tax and registration for you and don't drive the car after you receive it until you get plates in the mail."

Instead they told me I should be fine to drive with the bill of sale, they've done this before with other out of state customers, the reg will come within a couple of days of you receiving the car (mind you, all this is told to me after I called them to find out what was going on with reg)...all of which was unfortunately untrue.

I still feel misinformed, and still don't agree with you, but we're all entitled to our own opinions.
Old 09-12-2016 | 07:21 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Agree. Pretty sure that in the states that I've lived in, the new owner would just need to hit the DMV and get a temp tag.
Old 09-12-2016 | 07:27 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Originally Posted by paradocs98
Great story! Another one of the weirdisms of the genius that was Steve Jobs. The article, though, points out just what I was thinking re. why all cars should need some sort of identification, even right after purchase:

"Jobs is no longer with us, but in case any of his disciples were in the habit of copying his phobia of license plates, watch out. On Monday, California Governor Jerry Brown signed a new law that does away with the loophole. From 2019, California joins most of the other states in the nation by requiring newly bought cars to be issued temporary license plates. Additionally, the law will create a system to allow car sellers to report details of the sale to the DMV, including the date of sale and the names and addresses of the dealer and purchaser.

The bill (AB516) was the work of California Speaker pro Tem Kevin Mullin and was inspired by the hit-and-run death of Michael Bonanomi. Bonanomi was killed in 2013 by a car that was wearing paper dealer plates, and no one has ever been identified as the driver. "While this law will not bring Michael back, in the future it will go a long way in making sure that an offending vehicle and its driver are easier to identify and bring to justice," Mullin wrote in a statement."

The fact that you can go 6 months in Calif with no plate is just nuts. In NY you need to use a dealer plate even if going on a test drive--it's either magnetized or hangs from the trunk with straps. And by dealer plate, I mean a real plate with unique numbers on it, not a piece of cardboard that just reads "Ferrari of Beverly Hills."
CA's old temp tag law seems odd and not consistent with most other states. However, the wording in the article also raises questions -- no one has ever been identified as the driver. That doesn't mean the car wasn't identified and temp tags still may not result in the identification of the driver.

Of course, the article also mentions the revenue potential from the revised law...
Old 09-14-2016 | 03:58 AM
hellboy_mcqueen
Pro

If you say this to a police in Europe, they will laugh. Here, the individual is responsbile to check his/her car and if all paperwork is there or not.
Old 09-15-2016 | 05:38 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

I'm not taking your response as rude

I've purchased vehicles out of state before and the dealers have facilitated temp tags every time. The least I would expect from the dealer if they're not doing that is "hey naveeds786, we aren't providing you with any temp registration, the tax you're paying is not going to CA, but we're having a 3rd party handle the NY tax and registration for you and don't drive the car after you receive it until you get plates in the mail."

Instead they told me I should be fine to drive with the bill of sale, they've done this before with other out of state customers, the reg will come within a couple of days of you receiving the car (mind you, all this is told to me after I called them to find out what was going on with reg)...all of which was unfortunately untrue.

I still feel misinformed, and still don't agree with you, but we're all entitled to our own opinions.
I think you are the only person I know that came to CA to get a GT4!! Most of us had to go out of state to get our GT4
Yea, I was told that we had up until 6 months, to use that window sticker (or when our new plates arrived) which I believe was less than 2 weeks, as Carl mentioned. I chose to wait until my personalized plates arrived.
Both times I got personalized plates, it took almost exactly 12 weeks...

Quick Reply: Why no temp tags in California?